Is Theatre still a worthwhile art form?

Is Theatre still a worthwhile art form?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M
youtube.com/watch?v=WeW1eV7Oc5A&
thedisneyblog.com/2016/06/01/disneyland-assembles-color-blind-cast-new-frozen-musical/
youtube.com/watch?v=CYgt6g1DPW4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sure, since a plastic fork is considered "art" these days

Yes.

No. Art is dead.

there's no art anymore, just content

No, theatre is dead as fuck

>Go to Disneyland with family
>Enjoy self going on rides 'n shit
>Wife and her sister want to go see Frozen
>Agree to this
>Sit in mezzanine seats, far above the theater
>Intro plays
>Do you wanna build a snowman!
>This is kinda cool
>Next scene
>Anna is Asian and Elsa is black
>Utterly confused
>The cast literally changed race for no reason
>Even the extremely liberal sister's boyfriend is confused (He's from Washington)
>I look it up
>Race-neutral casting
>Gender-neutral casting

I also watched a pidgen version of Hamlet, which I thought was pretty ono.

Pidgin* as in Hawaiian syntax and vernacular.

The Bible in Hawaiian pidgin is great fun.

Avant-garde theater is the epitome of everything that can go wrong with the arts

It is so full of talentless morons who latch on to the genre because they think it means they won't have to do as much work that the genre has paradoxically developed its own god-awful tropes, cliches, and redundancies. It is no longer avant-garde, it is soulless, talentless, mindless garbage.

I fucking hate it so much.

theatre is ubercool desu
experimental theatre is epic fun
that's the most radical and where it's at
written form theatre is mostly boring tho

your dick is dead

what are some "radical" plays i could watch on youtube

Is better than going to the movies, tbqh.

Damn right it is, friend. If you live in or near a city, take advantage of the local theater scene.

Only if you're a playwright

Viennese decadent psychosexual theatre is pretty great t bh. check out Arthur Schnitzler and Frank Wedekind. It's edgy dark comedy with expressionist elements

I used yo hate theatre untill I saw the work of Romeo castelucci

Have you seen Book of Mormon yet?

No

This

No.

>Anna is Asian and Elsa is black
>>Utterly confused
>>The cast literally changed race for no reason

I had a similar experience with a local college production of Othello.
Their twist was
>Othello played by a black guy
I walked out and demanded a refund

You know how they could and would fuck it up tho? Making Iago black. Or the entirety of the cast black.

I just remembered that the last play I went to, King Lear; Lear, Goneril and Regan were white but Cornelia was black. I think Edmund was too, as were the French.

Can't say I thought about it at the time, the whole cast and production was fantastic.

I still want to go and see Shakespeare in the original pronunciation at least a couple of times in my life.

youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M

Literally just speaking in a common Norfolk accent.

Really?

Check at 2 minutes 45 seconds here then.

youtube.com/watch?v=WeW1eV7Oc5A&

Pretty sure nobody speaks like this today.

I have a bit of a hard time believing this only because Disney is notoriously superficial when it comes to casting their park impersonators. It may be different for those wth stage roles though

Go anywhere in the countryside and people will pronounce the example 'here' as 'air'. Hell I do a bit because I'm from Cornwall so some of my Hs vanish and my Rs are a bit fruity. Or should I say 'frootei'?

It's called Early Modern English for a reason mate. Nobody speaks *entirely* like that simply because some modern dialects have similar sounds.

I sincerely doubt anyone says "craytures" or "raisons".

Try Ireland, a lot of that comes in there as well. They even still pronounced 'film' and 'filum'.

It's not even as if everyone spoke entirely like that in Shakespeare's time considering how strong regional accents are even now.

You are literally arguing that people speak the same now as they did 400 years ago, which is just flat out wrong.

"People" don't speak like anything.

underrated post

I quite like a bit of Stoppard, and Shakespear is essential knowledge, just like the Bible, to understand much of modern literature.

Twelfth Night is my personal favourite.

thedisneyblog.com/2016/06/01/disneyland-assembles-color-blind-cast-new-frozen-musical/

Tfw have a trip to London in May which includes a viewing of a Shakespeare's drama in Globe. Is this a meme or should I really be spooked?

Neat-o, Jenkins!

Stop believing everything you read on the internet.

This desu.

>tfw want to be an actor but theater people are SJW as fuck and Veeky Forums will make fun of anything that's not stem and people hate your profession because of what idiots in hollywood say

It's honestly no different to the KJV (and presumably the original). It's bizarre how casual God is about being...God.

oedipus rex with the masks

>I sincerely doubt anyone says "craytures" or "raisons".
Then you are an idiot.

He's right. It's close enough to such accents that that's how I read all these kinds of poems in my head.

who /playwright/ here?

first original production happening in August

Written but no productions. Sad feels, desu

No, it's art.

hey op remember that scene at the end of season 3 where jim asked pam out on a date and then she just looked at the camera smiling a big smile and asked sorry what was the question? i thought that was nice

Get rich friends my man

Oh the feels, man. She's lovely, especially the first few seasons.

>having friends

she really is

To be entirely fair, Shakespearean comedies are tailor made to pander to the lowest plebian dregs of society, so yeah, this is EXACTLY what Shakespeare would've wanted.

there's no happy anymore, just content

God isn't some grumpy old man.
I bet Jesus was ironic and cracked jokes all the time from what ive read.

>Caring about what people on Veeky Forums think
>Being in americuck

I mean I'm not in a first world country but we have a long tradition (and contemporary) of great art and theater is pretty alive and mostly rid of SJW and femenist agenda

So cute in season 3, but sad till the end

there's no there anymore, just content

there's no singles anymore, just trips

Nice weyoun, son

The Globe is a fucking theme park, what do you expect.

There was a recent production in New York with David Oleyowo as Iago. I did not get to see it, but I heard very good things about it.

>Implying you could ever properly capture the depth and mystery of human emotions in any other form than acting

Wait, I'm all fucked up. Daniel Creator
Craig was Iago in that one. I'm thinking of an RSC production a couple years ago.

>art form that literally peaked 400 years ago
lol

Somewhat. But the lack of proper competitiveness in the genre lowered the performance standards of most performers. It's like watching a volleyball championship in Iceland.

>But the lack of proper competitiveness in the genre

what the fuck are you talking about, the job market is absolutely saturated with actors.

youtube.com/watch?v=CYgt6g1DPW4

Peaked 2500 years ago, you mean

I saw The Pitchfork Disney at the weekend, it was really good. Not really sure what it was about; the plot didn't say anything I could take away from it but the acting was fantastic, the writing was clever and the scenery/setting were really atmospheric.
I'm curious how many of the posters in this thread have actually been to a significant number of plays.

Not the same user, but that's not what he said. I went to an acting conservatory and can attest to the fact that a lot of up and coming actors have their heads up their ass and rely on brown nosing to get to where they are. Many don't even work on their body or voice on their own time. And the worst part is the instructors seem to be aware yet hardly ever gave lectures of professionalism. Was annoying as shit and led to my disillusionment with theater desu.

i've never seen anything going that over the top. but midsummer nights dream is one of the most accessible comedies so maybe they did it to appeal to a wider audience.

i've seen titus andronicus live, that was good. in fact that production caused many people in the audience to faint over numerous performances.

seen some other plays through "globe on screen", the tempest, twelfth night, much ado about nothing, none of them were as mad as that tumblr post implies.

Even this is absurd and obscene to the point of some kind of merit. It is at least still shocking. Avant garde theater on the most part fails even to shock you, it is so wrapped up in the patterns of its predecessors

Angels in America

Content

The stuff that has always been good is still good. Anton Chekov and Willy Shakespeare come to mind.

I don't know if anything worthwhile is being made nowadays though.

Yes. Yes it fucking is.
I would rather go to poor theatre than see a amazing movie.

That said i went to see Tom of Finland the musical. Funny as hell.

reading plays i liked and then seeing them adapted convinced me that actors ruin theatre

How so?

>watching "radical" plays on youtube
you need to get out more

Kek

>hrr drr she the wrong color!!!
you dumbfuck bible belt hicks sure get upset at weird shit.

You know what doesn't suffer from this? Noh.

making iago black would be interesting. making desdemona black would be dumb

the cast and audience are there to play make believe. i've seen an all female production of two gentlemen of verona. ive seen julius caesar played by a woman. they were great shows. the fact that they are not the gender they are pretending to be is no more important than the fact that they aren't really roman

brits used to sound like leprechauns?

It's a matter of context, not a matter of race.

>musical theatre