Unsafest Engineering

What's the most unsafe engineered structure or creation by engineers?

My vote is to bellmouth spillways, which no one has ever fallen into and lived to tell the tale. Anyone caught inside one is quickly sucked into a dark cylinder of water many meters tall where a vortex smashes them into a bloody pulp or drowns them with its violent currents. The only way to survive is for it to somehow be dry but then you face a fall of almost 50 meters in height, which is not survivable.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R7V4il2KIXw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4871722/British-man-swims-Hoover-Dam-reservoir.html
dw.com/en/new-cracks-found-in-tihange-2-belgian-nuclear-power-plant/a-39204539
what-if.xkcd.com/29/
cnn.com/2016/03/05/us/florida-scuba-diver-sucked-into-power-plant-pipe/index.html
youtu.be/dHpKvQ9XHV4
youtube.com/watch?v=7k4Xk1mEwmI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pic showing a side-view of the spillway's design, proving that the only thing that awaits you at the end of this dark passageway is a watery grave. There's no way out, no safe escape possible, and nothing to prevent your from a miserable death.

At some of these spillways, small fences are erected to try to discourage people from jumping in, but to date none of them have any more inherent safety than the others.

This one gets a special mention, not one but SIX separate drowning chasms to plunge into and find yourself overwhelmed by the deluge of foul waters.

Forgot to attach the picture.

>no way out
it's over there on the right

and here are some idiots that stuck in while it was dry to use it for skating
youtube.com/watch?v=R7V4il2KIXw

Why don't they just add some sort of grid on the top? That's fucking retarded and looks pretty spooky

>why don't we add something that restricts water flow to our overflow system
Maybe think this out a bit more.

just put the plug back in, idiots

Make the hole bigger to compensate for it

>waste more material to prevent darwin award entrants
Nah.

Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Drowning In Spillways Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Swim Away From The Hole Like Nigga Stay Out Of The Water Haha

How often does that actually happen?
How is it different from waterfalls?
I'd guess the most dangerous thing is an automobile.
But again, the danger, as usual, lies in the operator.

about thirty people a year die trying to swim across the reservoir at Hoover Dam

Bullshit. the water travels through a thin layer around the edge, the majority of the cavity is unused open space. It would be trivial to block off the space without restricting the flow.

>holes stop water

God he's annoying.
>I've got ideas and ideas are all you need! :DDDDD
Kys, Tyler the Cretin.

FUCK! YOU!!!!!

KYS, YOUR VICELAND SHOW IS SHIT, STOP FUCKING UP MUH WEED CHANNEL, MOTHERFUCKER!

There's shitloads of ways to prevent you from entering it though.

You can't engineer everything to be suicide/idiot proof

I nominate airplanes, because if you jump out of one while it's flying, you'd die. How the hell did that get approved?

Why don't they just build a little fence around it lmao

Hyperloop, if you jumped out of it you'd suffocate as your body was dragged along the track by the momentum really fucking fast, ripping your body into shreds.
Even if you survived the fall, due to the design of the pipe, no one would reach you in time to stop your from suffocating either.
How the hell did that get approved?

Retards would climb over it.

Dragon dildos. Have you seen the size of those things? Those are made to masturbate horses, not humans. If you use that shit, welcome to prolapse town.

I would really like to say guns, but guns are designed to kill. So I really have to say the automobile. In terms of people injured and killed, the automobile completely beats out your bellmouth spillway

>>about thirty people
that's cute
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

i wasn't trying to say it was a lot. i was just providing the answer to the question

Car deaths are not as metal as human milkshake.

>>because if you jump out of one while it's flying, you'd die
I don't think you're aware of the sport of skydiving. Passenger planes have doors that won't open while they are in the air so you can't jump out.

and how are you going to jump out of a hyperloop pod?

>and how are you going to jump out of a hyperloop pod?
With my oxy-fuel cutter?

that number is a load of bullshit, no way do thirty people die a year swimming across the hoover dam.

OP wanted to know what the most unsafe thing was, not necessarily what the most metal way to die is. Now what isn't metal about dying at the hand of a heavy metal machine powered by burning dead things? We don't see traffic fatalities as metal simply because there are so many of them

>the most unsafe
Cluster bombs, they leave unexploded ordinance behind that look like pic related, kids pick them up and get their arms blown off etc.

Eating utensils are shockingly dangerous.
Literally designed to cut through meat.

The worst part is that its used almost daily!

then you'd die before you even had a chance to jump out of the pod.

What if they lose cabin pressure. Does everyone just pass out and die?

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4871722/British-man-swims-Hoover-Dam-reservoir.html
>Some 275 people have died at the Hoover Dam in the last ten years.

I live close to that one, it's pretty amazing in person.

Wel notice that it is located near Las Vegas,
howmany of those 275 were suicides?

No idea. But if someone was going to commit suicide there's probably closer bodies of water to drown in than the Hoover Dam.

Accept it. Car deaths are the virgin way to go. Cars are made to be safe, and there are laws about speed and shit. You can even have a open coffin funeral, because the head trauma was barely enough to kill you. Jumping into one of those spillways is 100% chad. Good luck having a funeral with some pieces of bloody organic material you can't even distinguish from red guacamole.

Doesn't make any sense to compare the two statistics, you are just being pedantic.

Nuclear power plants

engineering is not about making stupid proof things, if someone is stupid enough to get close to one of those they probably deserve what happens.

>being this ignorant
Please tell me not all of the fucks here are as stupid as this guy...

i wanna go down that in an inner tube

couldnt they just fucking put like a fucking fence over the fucker? water will still go through it.

>but muh redundancies!

car crashes are such a mundane way to die, though. With the intelligence level of some people it's amazing that more people don't die than they do already. Every car you pass by in an oncoming lane on a road with no divider and a speed limit above 45 is a chance to die.

Name one nuclear power-plant incidents that occurred within the United States that resulted in more than 3 deaths.

Why the US? I was talking about nuclear shit in general.
Lost of nuclear plants here in europe are literally falling apart
dw.com/en/new-cracks-found-in-tihange-2-belgian-nuclear-power-plant/a-39204539

Because the shithole countries that are not the United States have very poor regulations regarding nuclear power. People naturally go "HURR HURR CHERNOBYL WAS SUPER BAD, SO NUCLEAR POWER IS SUPER BAD".
No, Chernobyl was caused by idiots in a country with little in the way of safety, disregarding all safety precautions causing a disaster.

But I digress, you literally cannot even name one disaster in the US that killed more than 3 people, yet claim nuclear power is the unsafest system.

>defund nuclear power
>nuclear plants fall apart because there is no money for maintenance
>"LOOK IT'S UNSAFE WE TOLD YOU SO"
>defund it more

OP asked for unsafe shit, I posted an example. You literally can't argue with that.
>defund nuclear power
Yeah, that's what happens when a country doesn't need plutonium

You goal-posted on:
>Name one nuclear power-plant incidents that occurred within the United States that resulted in more than 3 deaths

Your argument is invalid.

>Name one nuclear power-plant incidents that occurred within the United States that resulted in more than 3 deaths
pic related :^)

>Nuclear power-plant incidents
>posts non-power plant incidents
You can't even read either?
You are a sad little man.

OK
I hope you can keep your nuclear scientist job for a few more years
My original post was a bait, I knew that some autists here would catch it

Lmao, I knew it.

So a swimmer would be stuck against whatever grate/fence/net you constructed thanks to the insane water pressure you'd get around it. Instead of being sucked into the spillway and killed, you'd be sucked up against the net and drowned.

Given how many Americans die of heart disease and other obesity-related disorders, I'd say the most unsafe thing ever invented is the TV remote, or maybe the elevator.

>only the brown kids
and nothing of value was lost-

>What's the most unsafe engineered structure or creation by engineers?

China.

kid, pls fuck off back to /pol/

this guy

I'm not a scientist but I'm pretty sure going for a swim in the cooling water of a nuclear reactor would be even more dangerous.

No
what-if.xkcd.com/29/
cnn.com/2016/03/05/us/florida-scuba-diver-sucked-into-power-plant-pipe/index.html

>Passenger planes have doors that won't open while they are in the air so you can't jump out.

Tell that to DB Cooper.

Still better, at least you could bury them.

>xkcd

Ask me how I know you're a moron and a cuck.

Nuclear bomb that is about to explode

Read the last line. Swimming in nuclear reactor pools is insanely dangerous, albeit not because of the radiation.

>who needs containment buildings
t. Soviet Union

Your question is not well defined. How can you do you define unsafe? Is it by the number of people it killed? Then it will be some sort of weapon (atomic bomb, ak47 etc). Is it by how unreliable it is ? ( probably vending machine) is it by how much danger it poses to the operator (car)?

You forgot to put a sign up

>please don't commit suicide here

fixed

only happens in slav and african nations so no whites are effected by it.

barbara streissand effect then. it gives people a new idea they never had.

>idiots
they're geniuses

Thus making them just SLIGHTLY more likely to survive, and also preventing the body from ruining the water if it's being used for other purposes (I'm not an expert, I don't know if they usually bother with recycling dam overflows)

This honestly is reverse psychlogy.
the people that would reas that will think "this must be a good way of suicide since it pushed them to make a signe just to warn them."

A good signe will be " DANGER! 50 meters deep hole" or something along that because i still feel it could be better.

>idiots.
they were cool. the kind of men who advance civilization.

Paternoster elevators.
They don't stop moving even if they are crushing you against the floor / ceiling because you didn't get all the way in or out

people die from the drop.
You freefall like 150 feet straight down and land on a big concrete bend that turns the spillway 90 degrees. It's like jumping off a giant waterfall that only has a few feet of rushing whitewater at the bottom

>Implying that anything of value was actually lost

For a major flood event more of the pipe cross section is used, also if debris gets caught in the grating it could mean emergency spill ways have to be used. Using the emergency spill ways for prolonged times is usually bad, and can erode the dam foundation.

Most of the spillways or suctions from dams I've seen were posted with signs on bouys to keep boaters and swimmers away. Since the operation of the spillways during flooding is so important the cost benefit analysis shows a few retards dying is worth the safety of those downstream during an unlikely worst case flood.

youtu.be/dHpKvQ9XHV4
Cool video in potato vision of a dam spillway repair.

They are really cool to look at though so that's consolation

I'm always thinking this when someone starts a thread with "no trolling please" thinking it could only backfire, but for some reason it never does.

Literally what is stopping them from putting a grate on it?

They don't any construction workers who would get close to that thing.

>A fucking burst pipe

why should we sacrifice efficient design to accommodate the chance a retard will injure himself?

I say let the retards kill themselves, its good for the populations genetic hygiene.

youtube.com/watch?v=7k4Xk1mEwmI

Every fucking running machine before people realized that some workplace safety is maybe not the worst idea.

Why did we ever bother to change the design of the cars of 1900, they were clearly much safer

Nice try but I've played enough video games to know that you only take damage from landing on flat surfaces.

jesus fucking christ
my palms are sweaty from watching that

I guess because it would get all gunked up with debris that couldn't fit through the grate meaning they would have to hire people to go out and clean it

Reminds me of an incident last year.

>23yo girl wants to dispose of garbage container on the lower floor
>Pushed -1 button
>Garbage container wasn't completly inside
>Tips over and crushes her between the back wall of the elevator
Obviously this was an old elevator that did have sensors at the door and should've been decommissioned.

If I had to choose between having that job for the rest of my life and being killed on the spot with a flamethrower, I'd not hesitate to choose the latter.