For the past 2 years or so I've been in an on and off existential crisis...

For the past 2 years or so I've been in an on and off existential crisis. Nothing seems to have any value and all people seem to be deeply flawed, superficial garbage. I've tried to stave it off by rejecting morality and focusing on the simple pleasures of life, laughing at the ugliness I see around me, but I'm starting to realize that doesn't solve anything for me as the dread always returns.
Is there any book or philosophy that can help me, or do I just need to work on general self-improvement, starting with the little things? Or maybe both?

Other urls found in this thread:

lettersofnote.com/2010/03/most-beautiful-death.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Meditations by Marcus Aurelies
Religion (catholicism or Islam)

Basically living a holy and just life in spite of the general mediocrity.

go into a forest and get high off some fucking shrooms

Do 4-aco-dmt instead
This, start with Either/Or

>I've tried to stave it off by rejecting morality

You've been going about it all wrong. Being moral and inspiring others is a joy, if adhering to morality makes you bitter it is first and foremost because of self-perceived guilt, not because of others.
Better yourself, user.

I'm 23 now and have been experiencing the same thing as you since I was 19 and my dad died of cancer. These thoughts have just been fueled by all three of the girlfriends I've had cheating on me and being screwed over by friends and family.

I have invested myself entirely into self-betterment and it's the only thing that helps--and mostly through escapism. I study 8-12 hours a day (philo, math, chem, physics). I don't care about other people, women, or vain pleasures at all anymore. When I graduate uni in a year I plan on teaching part time and living a monkish lifestyle and probably killing myself by I'm 40.

Let me know if you find anything that actually makes a positive difference. I've tried the Bible, Plato, Aurelius, Seneca, Descartes, Aquinas, et cetera, and while I feel slightly better while reading I can't manage to carry it over into my life.

>Take up religion
Fuck off.

OP, you can red a variety of things, but only you can drink it in. Life is meaningless, and you don't sound like you've accepted it. Once you get there, choose your purpose. Simple pleasures are fleeting, sure, but so is everything. There's no fault in it. Your end is ultimately a good thing.

Read Stirner?

>Nothing seems to have any value and all people seem to be deeply flawed, superficial garbage. I've tried to stave it off by rejecting morality and focusing on the simple pleasures of life
take it back to livejournal

>life is meaningfless
>Stirner
>Is a tripfag

Will you give me a real counter?
If not, we must assume you agree 100%

there's no counter because your "philosophy" is a meme. And a bad one at that. If your end is ultimately a good thing then just kill yourself.

I'll check out Meditations
I was born in a catholic family, but never really cared for it that much and soon faded into agnosticism. Not sure if organised religion can be an answer for me, since most catholics I've seen just seem to be going through the paces, and the whole thing seems filled with mundanity overall.
I'd probably need a mystical experience to ever become a believer.
I've read Stirner already, and he was one of the factors that led to the whole "sustainable hedonism without giving a fuck about morality" idea, and that doesn't really seem to be working out in the long run.
I no longer think entirely bypassing morality is possible for any human being.
I'll try my best, it's just that morality seems so flawed and hypocritical to me a lot of the time.
Seems you had it more rough than me, user. I hope you find something of value someday.

what's about morality that you think it's hypocritical and flawed? Is it because of the temporal satisfaction you get out of not following morality?

>unironically recommending stirner
Why are tripfags here so absolutely fucking retarded? Not only do you think that freshman philosophy meme has anything of value to offer, but actually feel qualified to give advice. Fucking kill yourself, you irredeemable piece of human garbage.

>your philosophy is a "meme."
>You enjoy life more because it's fleeting? Well you should just kill yourself.

Are you even serious?

Where on Earth did you get the idea there is "help" out there for you?
The more you learn the more depressed you'll get. I recommend drinking enough in the hopes you'll lose enough brain cells to think you found Jesus

>life is meaningless
>choose your purpose

What the fuck are you on about woman

challenge yourself

>Not sure if organised religion can be an answer for me, since most catholics I've seen just seem to be going through the paces, and the whole thing seems filled with mundanity overall.

I understand the sentiment. To be fair, every religion is filled with lukewarm people...
Maybe you already did, but you should probably read some Aquinas he did a great job conciliating faith with reason (and dude got a lot of "mystical experiences" as you said, he could just have gone with it and say "the bible says so therefore it's true"

>tfw read too much of Lacan that I want to be a Catholic but too aware to ever fall for the meme

Why does reddit come here?

fuck off back to Veeky Forums
not him, but I'm curious about this. Do you think that reading Aquinas will reconcile the dilemma between reason and faith I'm currently living in?

You construct your own morality. The reasons are up to you. Don't live like nihilism is a church.

Freshmen don't read about anarchism.

The wisdom one can extract from the truth.
Is there something too deep about this "freshman philosophy"

To drop these little advertisements. Now fuck off.

your "philosophy" is just pop-philosophy without any depth or framework. It's just a path for the intellectualy lazy.

Do you think people would be leaving the Church in record numbers if all it took was reading fucking Aquinas?

>You construct your own morality. The reasons are up to you.
>I'm starting to realize that doesn't solve anything for me as the dread always returns.
Ah, yes, the good old don't-read-the-OP-just-shit-up-the-thread-with-your-feelgood-pseud-bullshit tactic. A classic.

>Freshmen don't read about anarchism

You're right, they usually abandon that by the end or High School

People judging others by their own, arbitrary standards, born out of random life experiences, hormones and cultural cliches.
I like simple and total solutions, and morality has no solutions, only questions and interpretations. It just seems completely subjective to me.
And yet I see people around me who can seemingly deal with reality. I don't think all of them manage it just because they're dumb.
I'm thinking christian philosophers in general might help, since most of them seemingly achieved a state of well-being.
Might also look into eastern philosophy, no idea what to start with though.
>You construct your own morality
That's more Nietzsche then, he's another option I considered

How many people, Christian or otherwise, do you see reading Aquinas?
>demographic shifts are clues toward the fundamental nature of the universe
I guess this bears repeating:

I can't really speak from experience because my journey from atheism to religion has been really convoluted (I've been convinced by René Guenon, Schuon etc.) but I'm sure reading Aquinas will be helpful, depending of the problem you're struggling with of course.

Also get yourself "Pensées" of Blaise Pascal. The book is pretty much 1000+ paragraphs/aphorism about the vanity of human life and conciliating reason and christianity

And you still haven't refuted it.
Because you can't.
Wisdom is often found in simplicity.

>Because you can't.

Another lazy conclusion.

>seemingly

This is the keyword, they literally just don't think about it. They don't have any secret knowledge or understanding you lack

>Wisdom is often found in simplicity.
I thought women were supposed to be able to think critically in the twenty-first century, and yet you're still spouting platitudes like a Facebook mom. Unrelated to the OP, but can you explain this phenomenon? What causes this breakdown between expectation and reality?

You just think OP is a chick and want to suck her clit. Keep your flimsy fantasies to tinder

>>demographic shifts are clues toward the fundamental nature of the universe

Sure why not, its the same demographic shifts that mean we're not currently discussing whether Zeus or Thor is the real father God

Greek and Nordic mythologies as allegories for spiritual principles were actually good.
It's when people take those allegories for real people living in the sky that "paganism" really is born.

That's also why catholocism didn't have a problem integrating pieces of these ancient mythos into their doctrines for their hidden truth still stands.

Today christianity is in the same state as pagan religion 2000years ago with people believing the "father" is actually a man in the clouds and not the eternal principle of the universe.

Thank you user. My problem is that I have doubts about everything. Even mathematics. I know it's childish, but I have problems reconciling what was my worldview (agnosticism nearing atheism for 7 years) with Faith and Christianism.

Maybe it's just the fact that it has been barely a month since I started questioning the intransigent materialistic views I held before?

I watch my previous youtube comments, the insults I directed towards religious people and all the blasphemies I uttered and I feel deep shame. I guess I'm on the proper road once again?

Even if I got to accept that God is real and reconcile my faith with my reason I would feel unworthy of God's forgiveness. Sorry if I'm writing too much.

>People judging others by their own, arbitrary standards, born out of random life experiences, hormones and cultural cliches.
I like simple and total solutions, and morality has no solutions, only questions and interpretations. It just seems completely subjective to me.

You can understand that there's an inherent hipocrysy and defects in how we apply morality to others. The fact that we're imperfect doesn't mean that morality is subjective.

>Sorry if I'm writing too much.

No it's ok really. I know how you feel, I've been struggling for two years with the same issues as yours and some even worse (such as: "Is God personnal or impersonnal?" According to reason He is impersonnal, but can he be personnal at the same time like in the revelations" ) and I'm only seeing the end of the tunnel and it's great so far... The "peace of mind" meme is actually true when you experience it (with the occasionnal burst of hapiness when praying deeply)

Also don't worry about feeling unworthy about God's forgiveness... I'm falling constantly and I've done worse than spouting blasphems on a youtube video. As long as you never give up and keep trying once step at a time you'll get there.

Cheers!

>Today christianity is in the same state as pagan religion 2000years ago with people believing the "father" is actually a man in the clouds and not the eternal principle of the universe.

With the issue being there is no such eternal principal. The expansion of our understanding of the universe has brought nothing but further radical steps towards contextualizing our irrelevant and arbitrary place in what is a messy near void with nothing resembling harmony

OP here, I'll be going to sleep now. Screencapped this thread for now, I'll be back in about ten hours if it's still up by then.
Thank you for all you advice, feel free to post some more, I'll go over it in the morning
If morality is imperfect and hypocritical by nature, then how can it have any real value? Attempts at creating objective morality always seem inaplicable to reality.
I'd love to reach this state.

>I'd love to reach this state

Try opiates, they're more reliable

Nietzsche really liked Stirner, but was also afraid people would accuse him of plagiarism. He wrote much more flowery and certainly not without flaws, I'm sure. He could be a source of inspiration.
I still need to read up on the guy more.

>Platitudes
>Posts Bane meme
Why do I need to write essays worth to a bunch of memester frogs?

Naw. Likely a dude.

Thank you user, may God bless you. I've tried talking with religious people I know but most of them don't have time or maybe feel like I'm lying (I was too recalcitrant in my views). I have many sins, not only the ones I mentioned in my previous post.

It makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one struggling with similar issues in this world. I feel that too many religious people just go throught the motions instead of trying to have a fullfilling relationship with God and instead of having a proper answer for the problems I'm wondering about they just tell me that I should trust God. I know that it may be the answer but my issue is starting to trust God. To not think too much about the whys or hows and instead learn to love, to trust God.

I was deeply religious when I was a kid. Maybe it sounds stupid but I would really like to go back to that sense of security I felt in God.

Thank you one more time, user.

I'm not sure if you're memeing but it is not even close and I've been "high" before.

I'm not saying i've reached enlightenment or anything, I'm still a normal dude... it's just that now I have a clear mind, clear thoughts, I just feel at peace really. I don't need another word to describe this feeling.

Good night OP, this is a good thread.

and it may sound weird but reading your post was cathartic to me. Throughout the entire day I was in bed, and then at the computer. Shivering and almost crying. How you talk about God and how you have reached this state of mind makes me feel like I can reach it. Thank you once again.

>I am right because you guys don't bother extensively refuting my meme philosophy
>Why do I need to write essays worth to a bunch of memester frogs?
I hope you die young, unfulfilled and in great pain.

You're intellectually castrated. If I had my balls chopped off I'd certainly feel more at peace with my sex life

You know I actually like you butterfly but you need to drop this arrogant dike shit and start swallowing the brain cum of your superiors

>I was deeply religious when I was a kid. Maybe it sounds stupid but I would really like to go back to that sense of security I felt in God.

Ah ah same!
Well you're welcome, I've enjoyed our conversation as well. I don't know if this will help you about "going with the flow" I wish I could quote you the book directly (alas I've read it in French) but Pascal says something akin to :
"To those struggling with faith, one should begin by renouncing pleasure and submitting the body to religious deeds (mass, prayers, rituals, etc.) for it is the animalistic nature of man and it will become what it imitates through repetition (think of the 2nd nature of Aristotles)

You should probably do that as well. I've been doing it since January and it works well so far, much better than reading books after books over and over and pondering about the same questions everyday (I still read theological books ofc but now they inspire me much more)

God bless you too user!

>scientist fedora
>You're intellectually castrated
Pure gold.

You will too user I believe in you. If an anxious overthinker such as me did it, you will!
Good night!

If your conception of anyone who doesn't believe in literal magic as merely "scientists" then yeah I think you're the intellectually limited one

>I don't think all of them manage it just because they're dumb.
Too many people drift along believing in, well, spooks. But yes, some do manage living in this world of adversity.
I advise starting with the Greeks for a good variety of reasons, one of which is to instill a sense of bravery and heroic nature. Life is dull a lot of the times, but you don't have to live that way. There is an evil force binding people to this pomo pos lifestyle, and I want to be a part of taking it apart.

You mistake confidence and positivity here for arrogance.
Now do swallow the cum of my gracious correction of the record.

>religion is believing in literal magic
This says it all really. Unless you're underage you should be ashamed of your wild fedoratism. I'm not even religious myself.

>tripfag

Sage and report.

In any other context in life I wouldn't be so hostile but I'm trying to hold some sort of intellectual standard on this board.

>Leave me in my depressive, foul recognizable. Reeeeee.

It's fascinating how often people least qualified take it upon themselves to uphold standards.

>religion is believing in literal magic
>intellectual standard

Poetry is faith. Read, and live.

I think you can have a bunch of different attitudes toward the world. You can be immersed in it and take it for granted, obviously, which is what most people do. But you can also see it as "not real" or "not meaningful" somehow, which is what happens during an existential crisis. Aside from just forgetting about the crisis, you can respond to it in a few ways. You can highlight the sense of unreality, drastically delimiting what is potentially "meaningful" in life so that the world becomes a starkly and uniformly meaningless place, and you have to find meaning entirely inside your own mind (so, hedonism or absurdism). Or you can try to impose meaning on the world, taking the craving for meaning that you feel within you as a directive to create that meaning, in the world, even if it's incredibly difficult.

I think, pre-existential crisis, we tend to see the world as a lumpy place full of inherent meanings. It's got a lot of mystery in it, it's an undiscovered country. You're not quite sure what most stuff means, but you're pretty sure most of it at least means something. People's lives are inherently meaningful, their goals are meaningful, something-or-other about politics and culture and humanity's destiny is just "important." It's all going somewhere. There is meaninglessness too, but it's like the void between planets - it's just the backdrop for all the meaning that is buzzing and blooming around you on a daily basis.

The real sadness of the existential crisis is having all of that meaning, all that lumpiness and complexity of the universe, disappear. Once you see that everyone is just deluded and nothing ultimately matters, it applies to every single thing you can think about. Morality, love, friendship, politics, humanity, it's all subjected to one elegant mechanistic principle that doesn't require "meaning" to function.

Like I said, you can respond to that either by accepting it, and radically perfecting your vision of the world as a flat gray space of nothing, or you can try to rediscover meaning, and then create it within the world that currently seems so flat to you.

I don't mean that in the absurdist sense of amusing yourself with the simple things in life until you're dead. I mean rediscover the objective lumpiness, realize it's there but hidden because much more subtle, and then make it your goal in life to bring it more into being. You've discovered that the world isn't inherently bulging with purpose. It tends toward flatness, coldness, deadness, entropy. Nothing that you can see right now is easily coalescing into mankind's entelechy, the final purpose of things, the Welträtsel. But if you look closely inside your own mind, on your own moral drives and instincts, reflect on them and purify them, and then look back out at the world, you might find that you see the threads of purpose waiting to be picked up.

>the dread always returns

All sensation, from the dread you're experiencing to the best thing that's ever happened to you, is essentially the same. It's all input from your mind to your consciousness. If you practice mindfulness meditation for several hours everyday you can learn to redirect the focus of your mind so that your consciousness only experiences what you decide to subject it to.

I'd also recommend strengthening your will by intentionally exposing yourself to pain through taking cold showers, forcing yourself to be hungry, and lifting weights to complete exhaustion.

>Islam
Fuck off

>If you practice mindfulness meditation

Oh boy, here we go

Same

>I've tried to stave it off by rejecting morality and focusing on the simple pleasures of life,
Wrong conclusion to make.
Start with the Greeks.
If you have already done the Greeks, read them again. If you don't get it after the second full round kill yourself.

>Islam
kill yourself nigger

You got problems man

>Start with the Greeks.
>read them again.
>If you don't get it after the second full round kill yourself.
>still filters boypucci
I guess it's the rope for you.

Ask him what he thinks OP can learn from the Greeks. I've said above and now I'm curious as to what his thoughts are.

clear example that existentialism hasnt fixed anything but created new problems.

Fuck off and die, tripshit.

Don't insult our Queen you edgy crossboarder

You need a different escape
everyone who gets on this board and memes about psych drugs is kinda lame but if you're gonna kill yourself you should look into some carnal/banal psychedelia shit
try Aldous Huxley
lettersofnote.com/2010/03/most-beautiful-death.html

Existentialism wasn't invented to fix anything. It wasn't invented anymore than birth or death was.

I can, however, say this about religion. It hasn't fixed the problem but created a lot of new problems.

Stop samefagging, you pathetic piece of garbage.

man poor Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ everywhere s/he pops up always gets the worst, why do you even keep coming back, if i were you i would stop or just drop the trips

I love how much hate you attract. Even-headedly triggering people's insecurity is the mark of a person who knows what they're talking about, i.e. a philosopher. You're doing God's work, user, never stop.

holy...

>It hasn't fixed the problem but created a lot of new problems.

I don't know about that. Religion has always had the ability to keep people in line. Civilization wouldn't have lasted this long if it weren't for religion and I'd consider civilization good because without it there'd be no such thing as dragon dildos.

None of this will help.

It is clinical depression and he needs drugs.

This shit can only happen in a hyper-individualist Western society.

You're told to "find yourself" and "be different", but the truth is, most people are simply not cut out to be free thinkers, and they get themselves stuck in these holes by straying too far from the herd. Only the best can stare into the abyss and come out alive: the artists, the philosophers, the greatest, strongest men.

But 99% of people are better off blindly following some religion or other traditional doctrine.

Who are you even talking to?
He's a closeted chubby chaser who thinks he can bother me by claiming I'm overweight.
>the worst of it
HA

t. Dr. Shekelstein

>people spit on me and throw things
>means i know what I'm talking about
This pathetic samefagging.

Imagine being a grown man so insecure and sexually frustrated that you go through the effort of making these

i like this guy

>critiques Western society obviously having zero knowledge of the East
>profound teenage truth bombs about the herd
Back to Ieddit, champ.

I never claimed to know anything about the East.

>I never claimed to know anything about the East.
>This shit can only happen in a hyper-individualist Western society

Ching ching Chang

Fuck off

Are you saying that the East isn't collectivist?