Is it ever ok to be prideful?

is it ever ok to be prideful?

Other urls found in this thread:

perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0053:bekker page=1124a:bekker line=1
perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0054:bekker page=1124a:bekker line=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>is it ever ok to be prideful?
To live, is to have pride, so I would hope

What would you do otherwise? Manipulate yourself into feeling differently?

Not Veeky Forums related.

It's "ok", but really only hurts you on your way.

Sure. The vices are healthy when not committed in excess.

God damn you people and your ridiculous dichotomies. To live is just to continue being alive.

>

there is literally nothing wrong with pride as long as it's warranted

What warrants pride?

>taking a retarded tripfag seriously

Competence

Yes, before the fall.

something worth being proud of

like if you're the strongest dude in your gym that's warranted pride, but if you're a skeleton deluding yourself that you're a tough dude that's unwarranted

you could be proud of going from a skeleton to a slightly beefier skeleton though

pride is an emotion that recognizes what is good about you or your community and compels you to maintain or improve that aspect, because pride feels good

being proud =/= being prideful
the former can be okay (I've been proud of my son, for example), but the latter inherently precludes balance, perspective, humility, and so on

>To live is just to continue being alive.
And without pride, is to be dead

I hope you get cancer soon.

>all these cucks saying that pride is a vice
Kill yourselves, christcucks

t. Ihave Nuthing-Tobeprodof Sonooneelseshouldeither

Very soon.

Not on the Internet

yes, what are you, a christian?

There is no point in being prideful, a waste of time, but there IS a point in appearing prideful to the commoner.

>Very soon.
t. I have nothing to be proud of so no one should be either

In what way is this wrong? You cannot understand how and why someone can be proud, happy about their accomplishments and skills, feel good about themselves because of their achievements?

Pride is a sin, user.

It's only natural to be proud of your own achievements. What is unnatural is littering threads with pseud drivel like "To live, is to have pride" and "without pride, is to be dead". Fuck off to Ieddit and gather upboats from other deep teenagers there, you worthless moron.

hmm, you suddenly appear to have a bit of a lively spirit, one might say you even appear to be a bit proud

Yet you don't appear to be anything other than severely mentally challenged as usual. Do humanity a favor and don't try to reproduce, tripshit.

>autistic
>trip
what's new

Did you read the Garfield thread OP

Nothing good comes from pride. Only ruin. Look at what happened to ceasar.

In Chapter 3 of Book 4 of Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, he calls it a virtue. "...the truly proud man must be good. And greatness in every virtue would seem to be characteristic of a proud man... if we consider him point by point we shall see the utter absurdity of a proud man who is not good... Pride then seems to be a sort of crown of the virtues; for it makes them greater, and it is not found without them. Therefore it is hard to be truly proud; for it is impossible without nobility and goodness of character." (1123a30-1124a5)

>Therefore it is hard to be truly proud
And yet a baby looks at his parents giggling and smiling proudly when it shits its pants

And as a teen, when he beats the next level in his video game

finally someone intelligent to converse with on this board... didnt think it would take Aristotle

And hes not calling it a virtue, but usually that the virtuous' virtue allows them to be proud of their proud virtuous virtue

Well I think it is a virtue in the broadest sense, for there is an excess, defect, and mean of pride. True, only the virtuous can actually have the mean, since they have achievements to be proud of... otherwise they're unduly humble or arrogant. Regardless, I'd say it is pretty well established as a virtue, but only one that can be attained after one is noble in all other respects. If it wasn't a virtue, Aristotle would probably refrain from discussing it or call it a quasi-virtue, like shame...

>.the truly proud man must be good.
I was responding to that.

Though I guess Aristi is playing word games, by ensnaring that 'proud' in a 'truly', therefor I suppose implying, eliminating my potential argument, that for instance, "A criminal can be proud of himself for getting away with robbing a jewelry store"

Aristotle would say, "hes not """"truly"""" proud", because I am defining pride as necessarily being related to virtue.

Im gonna have to read over these a few more times to understand what I think of this

There could be an issue in my translation, since I was using W.D Ross's. However, the word Ari uses is ἀλήθεια, so I'm pretty sure he means that you must be actually noble.

You could always play around with the text and shit here: perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0053:bekker page=1124a:bekker line=1

perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0054:bekker page=1124a:bekker line=1

Spooky as fuck in here

No. You're a worthless fucking pathetic worm who deserves to be grinded into ash because you have no value whatsoever. Fuck you, you piece of shit. You deserve to burn in hell and tortured forever, cunt. You're worthless, pathetic, and everyone around you hates you.

Thanks mang. Ok. So I guess, he is simply saying: "What I mean by this concept 'Pride', is the 'feeling' of goodness and/or confidence and happiness in oneself for knowing they are doing good and right and honorable and virtuous activity?

And for my example, a baby who appears to be proud with itself for passing gas, or a criminal who is telling his friends "did you see me back there! I was really moving so well! I am so awesome and great! we did it, we got away!"

Ari would say, "thats not pride", what would he say that is? "ignorance?"

And then things get further complicated, depending on how just that society the criminal exists in?

>Spooky as fuck in here
for (You)

would say, "thats not pride", what would he say that is? "ignorance?"

Or just unjustified pride? undeserved. false pride?

But my argument would be, to the individual, it would likely be that they at least theoretically, could be experiencing the same 'brain states', of "feeling good/satisfied about ones actions", feeling proud.

You can say they do not deserve to feel proud,

I would say the criminal would, truly be proud. Ari is along with semantics just also saying, he shouldnt, and likely, civilization should not let such occur... as... it is unjust etc.

Pride for Ari is μεγαλοψυχία or megalopsychia, which basically means "greatness of soul," so it is pretty much tautological for him to say that a prideful person is great, if he actually deserves it.

As for the criminal, I suppose Ari would say that he is pleased with his wickedness, but that this "pride" is an excess, since the criminal has done nothing to deserve it. Therefore the criminal's "pride" is actually vanity.
Socrates would have said it's ignorance, or some weakness of will most likely. However, IDK for sure about that.
Tough questions though, I'll definitely need to think about them a lot more.

the only benefit is the masturbation of your ego. however, it will make you look ridiculous to others.