Level of Math for Biology

Biotard here. It's a stereotype (with some truth) that most bio majors don't really know much math and because of this many of the jobs in biology that are in demand require it.
What level of math should someone learn if they want to get the most out of the field?

unless you're looking to do biophysics, high school algebra should be enough.

Enough to understand chemistry. Know chemistry. Understand exponents, ect.

>Not stats
How are you supposed to do Population biology or biostatistics without it?

a little highschool statistics would help, sure, but there's not much to that.

Maybe like Calc 2, statistics

they make bio majors do stats, calc I, and calc II at my uni. more stats as needed. more math and physics as needed, but generally not as has stated.

Linear algebra is good for programming work

We also had to go to calc 3,although it was biochem

is a meme

exactly this. in grad school atm and unless you are hard bioinformatics, never needed anything past calc 2. statistics can usually just be outsourced easily to a program or person

it depends, if you ate a mathematical ecologist you will use dynamic games, partial diffs, loads of probability theory. In other areas you can get by knowing how to use R and excel.

basic calc for graph interpretations, stats for obvious reasons

should cover it unless

What is the level of math involved on biophysics?

Some schools offer 'life science calculus', generally the first semester is the same as normal calc I, the second semester is some mix of regular calc II (series and all that), linear alg, diff eqs, and some probability/stats

>Mathematical ecologist
Is this a meme field or are there jobs in it because that sounds fun.

Ecology is 90% statistics and 10% going outside for data

Dunno, integrating maybe?

What the fuck is "math"?

t. biologist

It is impossible to give a clear definition of mathematics without it just including every kind of intellectual pursuit. That is why you will often see people claim that biology, chemistry, physics and even philosophy are subsets of math.

The best way to define math without going down that route is to simply say that math is an undefined term.

there is a reason people who do physics can easily transition onto biophysics whereas biologist cannot really do that

If you did some higher level math electives along with your biology major, would biophysics be easy to do post-grad?

I know you're not going to like this answer.
But I would recommend a bachelor's degree in math.

I have friends in Bio. In my experience Biology guys are really intellectual and have an appreciation for math theory and stuff. Biology's about complex systems and breaking them down into explainable events. And many times that's the kind of mind that appreciates math.

i dont see why not, but you would be at a disadvantage compared to people who studied physics/math, probably

Depends if you're the experimentalist type or theoretical type. If you like to do experiments to verify hypotheses, then you should have a good understanding of probability and statistics, and a good knowledge of being able to do data analysis. You need to know how to get and clean data, and then analyse it using various methods (could be as simple as plotting a graph and looking at various statistics like mean, variance, etc.)

For the more theoretically inclinded, you should learn numerical analysis(you'll need this to verify your models on a computer), odes, pdes, vector calculus, some physics that you can use in your models (ex: fluid mechanics, statistical mechanics), and know a programming language you can do modeling in (ex: C++, Python, Matlab)

Why would someone who studied biology plus some high level math would be at a disadvantage in BIOphysics to someone who studied physics and/or math?