This board

Why is 50 percent of this board asking about degrees and playing games of who has the biggest dick. (The dick, in this case, being degrees and levels of intellect). And other times it feels as if I am on the paranormal board or /b/. Is this not supposed to be the science and math board? Not who has the best degree or who can rattle off facts the fastest? Why are there not more threads about the mysteries in math and science? The things we do not understand. TLDR: Why is this board just as trash as every other board?

I agree to an extent. The first time I came to this board, I expected actual interesting shit, but instead got pretentious dipshits circle jerking about the results of their IQ test from this """totally legit""" online test. But it's best to remember that, like all the boards on Veeky Forums, you're always going to have your typical bait posts and then you're going to have genuinely interesting threads that provide deep insightful thought. You just have to weed out the shit threads and look for the ones that interest you.

OK let's discuss about math mysteries.
[eqn]\exists\left(p,\,q\right)\,\in\,\mathbf N,\,\forall\varepsilon\,\in\,\mathbf Q_+^*,\,\exists n_0\,\in\,\mathbf N^*,\,\forall n\,\in\,\mathbf N^*,\,n\,\geqslant\,n_0\,\Rightarrow\,\left|\sum_{i\,=\,1}^n\frac qn\,-\,\ln\,n^q\,-\,p\right|\,\leqslant\,\varepsilon\qquad?[/eqn]
Legends say there could be the meaning of life hiding behind this mysterious formula.

most of this board is leakage from other boards in the past 2 years. remove retards and it'd vastly improve.

Lots people here are from /pol/ and unironical brainlets, it's become one of the biggest boards on this website so of course there's a lot of trash coming from it for "expert opinions"
Another group are socially retarded STEMfags who indeed want to impress others with their knowledge

Veeky Forums is just /b/ with a math skin. Just the /mg/ should tell you that much. Well, the /mg/ is just math and every major has their own culture but you can see similar things happen in engineering and physics threads for example.

That's a serious problem. People doing (((IQ))) thread to show they for a big number in a test that's literally less useful than astrology.

>playing games of who has the biggest dick

That's normal and healthy male competition, the same one that drives progress and creativity.

>Why are there not more threads about the mysteries in math and science? The things we do not understand.
Because Veeky Forums is for children. Get over it.

if you want real science go read a scientific paper, numb nuts

I don't really know why I'd discuss science, or what in science I'd even discuss, on a mongolian cattle herding forum with a bunch of people that will probably just call me an autist or sperg out themselves.

You're very welcome to start a thread with serious discussion. You'll find that "here's science fact/topic x. discuss" is not particularly engaging. Most "serious" threads that people make are either about some homework-level questions which I do enough outside of this site or a factoid/paper/discovery that I don't know jack shit about and can only reply something like "cool, neat, didn't know that". These "threads about mysteries in math and science" will almost certainly be the latter, although there's always some people talking the wildest shit out of their ass.

The average uni student is not particularly well-equipped for discussion about current trends in science. They're much better equipped to discuss university life, so they do.

Of course, there are some anime-posting maths types here that actually are inclined to do each others' homework questions, mostly so they can call other people dumb and post smug anime girls while name-dropping as many maths concepts as they can to feel superior to some high school kid who has no clue.

The dick measuring bit is to be expected on a board mostly populated by young men, especially when it's young men who probably don't get much recognition for their skills outside of the internet.

The structure of Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums in general doesn't really lend itself well to the kinds of discussions you'd see in other equivalent forums.

Mainly because the amount of people who can provide knowledge is dwarfed massively by the amount of people who want knowledge (Veeky Forums demographics), and there is no social reward system for participating as part of the former group (anonymous imageboard).

Combo that with a presumed history/culture of hostility and personal attacks to those who do attempt to provide knowledge (what happened to that hamster Atlantis guy) and you get Veeky Forums: science and math themed shitposting. Not saying it shouldn't be like this; it's just how it is.

t. Ivy League Ph.D. student

true facts
anons feel more comfortable commenting in new threads as opposed to makeing new threads.

since boards need to be bumped quicker than a monthly basis it is up to the MODS

MODS are people who have experience in social media and should have lurked on Veeky Forums for sometime before gaining the position.
MODS create a lot of the threads on the boards.
MODS know what kind of threads will get replies, what threads are "safe", and other threads that have potential.
most of the criteria are mainly about keeping language attuned to board culture, though with so much cross posting its become more of a website culture rather than board culture.
welcome to the propaganda machine user
welcome to the echo chamber
welcome to the rest of your life
and remeber
HAVE FUN!

I agree with this user
most people don't come here for meat and potatoes becuase they all think they are doing some other fags homework for them.

the only place I think that doesn't care about doing other peoples homework is Veeky Forums
you just have to read anything by Rupi Kaur and know that she probably is a Veeky Forums poster.

you forgot about the 60% of threads that are /pol/ discussion about race, gender, climate change, etc. basically whatever talking points breitbart is pushing atm

>only 2 numbers in the whole question
Is this math or english?

it is not your board

Numbers are just symbols like letters. Symbols can represent anything at all.

I'm gonna TRY to piece this together in words. Rip my asshole if I'm wrong, I'm trying to learn how to read things like this.

"There exists a (p,q) in N [as in a set, I think?] such that epsilon exists in the positive side [dimension? Only the positive numbers] of Q conjugate [also a set]; there also exists a value n-not in N conjugate [a set] such that n also exists in N conjugate where n is greater than or equal to n-not. Is the summation of that formula [as listed] from 1 to an arbitrary value n less than or equal to epsilon?"

brainlet

faggotry is everywhere the morons always want to follow the wise around being a burden shitting everything up and tearing everything down

p = 0, q = 0

Let gamma be the limit of [math]\sum_{i=1}^n 1/i - \ln(n)[/math] as n goes to infinity.

His statement is supposed to be saying that gamma is rational, but it doesn't work if you count 0 as a natural number.

So I was partially right? Did I at least read the problem correctly? Can't make heads or tails of what it's asking since my set theory is almost 0 but.

>His statement is supposed to be saying that gamma is rational
>gamma is rational

If gamma was rational then God would exist. Heck, if pi or e was rational then God would exist. The fact that all the important numbers are fucking irrational shows that we live in a universe full of chaos and that nothing matters and we will all die.