Deep Springs College

Humanities professor Dave Arndt, who studied at Yale, assigns 4,000 pages of such heavy reading as Heidegger and hundreds more of literary criticism each eight-week term. “I don’t think there’s any college in the United States where you can assign that kind of reading and have the students respond as enthusiastically as they do,” he says.

vanityfair.com/news/2004/06/deep-springs-college200406

Do people really do this? it has to be a very superficial reading if you're going through so much dense material.

What's the point?

They're basically the only ones who are continuing the scholastic legacy of Plato and Aristotle. No other """"""""higher education"""""" institution even comes close.

I wish I was in there reading lots and discussing it with other people who are interested about it.

Stuck in fucking east Europe tho lol

The college only takes at most 26 students at a time. Even if you lived in the US it'd be impossible to get in.

My college had a heavy work load. There was about 4,000 pages of pre-reading which was never addressed in class so if you hadn't done it, you made up part of the 50% who failed the first year. MA level was tiny because a lot of students opted to leave (administration code for had a nervous breakdown).

You can definitely get through that amount and depth if you're one of the people who made it to BA. Most people didn't, with classes usually going down in size by 50% each year, but the college and all preparatory courses for it warned everyone it was not an easy system to pass through. I should find one of the alumni committee and tell them to think about making it ranch sized in the first place to cut down on drop outs. One year there were 4 people at MA when they usually aim for 12, and of course one of them cracked by first term.

>humanities cucks

>4000 pages
>2 months
Try harder.

t. law student.

>tfw absolute retard and no chance to get in even if I lived in US

i'm destined for below mediocrity

Don't worry guys, I'm gonna create some similar college when I have enough money. I'll let you know.

Ugh, you wouldn't understand OP. I hope to enter Deep Springs, you wouldn't have a chance.

im at a T14 and i dont have that much assigned reading.

k keep me posted

these guys are suuuuuuuuuuuch douches trust me

is St. Johns like Deep Springs but without the autistic farmwork?

You're asking whether a tiny group of national merit scholars who are also willing to swear off pussy and broadband internet in order to create the perfect study environment are capable of reading 80 pages a day. The answer is yes, and even the dumbass normie English majors at my alma mater read that much.

t. brainlet

If you don't appreciate the satisfaction and focus that comes from doing farm work, then I suggest you try some and get back to us about that.

>having a list of "great books" that constitutes a perfect education
>not autistic
St. Johns is for brainlet posers.

you probably got your ass bullied in high school, because you couldn't handle any kind of banter like the little autist you are. If you can't stand being in a group of males, it's because they've deemed you inferior and bully you, not because they're "douchey assholes" or whatever you low-test numales might call them.

*spits*
they aint nothin

Sounds like an irritating gathering of wannabe-"macho" pseudointellectual menchildren.

Yeah, wanting to surround oneself with natural beauty, study, and get exercise is for children.

80 pages of dense reading material like Heidegger. Pls.

>t. brainlet

I'm not arguing that you can't get through that many pages. I'm arguing that you will only get a superficial understanding of the material if you read that fast.

They also spend class time on it.

I've read Heidegger, and often the best way to have it make sense is read nothing else. Once you get into the groove, it's easy, but if you read anything else in German, you'll lose his idiom and remember what normal German sounds like.

Kierkegaard is another one where native speakers find his idiom strange and where most people insist on the value of letting the odd phrases wash over you until you break and can no longer describe things without reference to angst

what an odd place, i mean i get the idea, but it just gives the impression of a camp for the rich and powerful's children. also it's odd reading a woman's perspective on this place, seems she wished to speak of young sexy boys rather than what their processes of learning are, she even ends the whole article on them skinny dipping. which implies that she was there alongside them, watching them. I'm not really sure what should be gathered from this place than an extremely expensive boy's camp for men to establish sexuality. or at least that was the impression gave by the woman writing the story.

>gives the impression of a camp for the rich and powerful's children
>'m not really sure what should be gathered from this place than an extremely expensive boy's camp for men to establish sexuality
Have you not been to college? At least these guys take the academics seriously.

And it's not just a camp, since their time there serves as the first two years of the 4-year degree they'll get from Stanford, Princeton or somewhere like that.

yeah, i went to college for about a year and was pretty disgusted. I dunno, the article just seemed to be more about how h0t dem yung boys were instead of how smart they were.i dunno, maybe i'm biased because i'm a prude.

its just that there are other activities that give me similar satisfaction and focus asides from farmwork. i grew up in a rural area and helped my grandfather tend his farm as a kid and while i didnt hate it neither did i enjoy it. i do vaguely recall experiencing this feeling that really cant be explained when i was doing farmwork, so i guess there's that

side question, did you go to deep springs though?

friend of mine went here. can confirm he is the smartest person i've met. besides john rogers.

an exageration. smartest of around my age let's say.

how old are you?

i'm 24 but he's 30.

It's free. Working on the farm is your "tuition."