Veeky Forums approved movies

Do you have any?
Would be interesting to know your taste.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8IT2aKGzgrg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican's_list_of_films
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Excalibur
The Truman show
Red Beard

youtube.com/watch?v=8IT2aKGzgrg

Please tell me this is beat

This is beat.
Happy?

>movies
Why are Americans allowed on Veeky Forums?

This was pretty nice

Who smokes like this?

Anything from Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, Bergman, Kusturica, Leone, Kubrick, Tarr, Fellini, Godard and Welles.

Take out Godard and put Bresson at the top of the list.

A Veeky Forums filmmaker has to be someone who uses the medium in a way that has effects not replicable in other art forms. I think Godard is a prime example of where that's done. He fucks around with the possibilities of cinema, sometimes producing crap but sometimes something really interesting.

>A Veeky Forums filmmaker has to be someone who uses the medium in a way that has effects not replicable in other art forms.
how the fuck is that relating to literature? to Veeky Forums?

Bresson is Veeky Forums because he adapted and interpreted Bernanos' works for cinema

protip for everyone in this thread, because i am a true patrician. the only LIVING directors worth being a fan of are:
>costa-gavras
>david cronenberg
>terrence malick
>jacques audiard
>michael mann
>paul verhoeven
>nicolas roeg
>michael haneke
>roman polanski
>werner herzog

honorable mentions:
>jim jarmusch
>alex cox
>larry clark/harmony korine
>lars von trier
>william friedkin

missed the cut
>john carpenter
>ridley scott
>brian de palma
>peter weir
>steven soderbergh

anyone else is literally trash

If these people are going through your mind, you may want to off yourself:
>tarantino
>lynch
>gilliam
>burton
>coen bros

bresson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> godard

it's not close

bresson is my favorite director. that makes it sound like im a fangirl. have you read that nyrb classics about movies? by him? i have it somewhere but have never read it.

Elitist piece of shit
Good taste overall, tho mostly mainstream

However
>Jarmusch above De Palma

True patrician top 3 kkkino list:

-Кин-дзa-дзa!
-Le quai des brumes
-Transformers 2

those aren't order. i agree, de palma > jarmusch

You should stop watching exclusively western cinema senpai

Your taste is fine but your elitism is well and truly misplaced considering how narrow it is.

>>>>>>Werner Herzog

No. His Documentaries are overrated and his movies are not that amazing.

>Terrence Malick

ultimate pseud director

>Roman Polanski

Overrated pedophile

>Coen Brothers

Literally took one of Cormac McCarthy's worst works and turned it into one of the greatest crime thrillers ever created.

Basically you are a fucking pseud.

this except Malick is based

>Leone
here is where you fucked up

this is pretty bad

Who did it better? Mozart, Byron, or Spanish playwrights?

>john carpenter
>missed the cut

Mozart, of course.

Byron, naturally.

Spanish playwrights, obviously.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican's_list_of_films

you forgot nolan

his movies really make me think

stopped at
>terrence malick

where is Kubrick?

they are nothing alike

Everything by Werner Herzog.

Why? Because he made westerns?

>Lynch is a bad director
pseudy brainlet detected

When will this meme die? DFW and Kubrick e.g. were Lynch aficionados. Would you tell these men to off themselves (barring the fact that one is dead and the other did indeed off himself)?

You honestly think you have better taste in film than Kubrick did?

>>Lynch is a bad director
>pseudy brainlet detected
Hes not art house kino enough! hes too popular now! If I walked into my favorite artisanal espresso-wine bar and one of his """"films"""" were being projected onto the wall, I would scoff rather audibly

Because he made overrated edgy ones

The new Twin Peaks is gonna be great

Make way for the best movie this decade

I hope so. He hasn't been working the medium of feature film for a little while (I believe his last was Inland Empire in '06), but he has been producing. He might be the anti-Malick, in the sense that a small hiatus improves the quality of his work rather than acts as a detriment.

But I agree that I'm going to watch the fuck out of that shit like valley girl groupie watches concert footage.

google 'lynch transcendental meditation'

recommend some shit

what's your point?

with your reading ability you probably shouldnt be here

What is it about?

Creativity comes from your shadow, i.e. your battle with your fear and anger. This is why many "great artists" are seen as crazy, and why many believe nonsense. The more violent the inner battle, the more sprawling the oeuvre. The great artist is distinguished from the intense schizophrenic by the ability to make this oeuvre coherent.

holy...

?

I would have enjoyed it much more if he didn't pull the "look the entire film is one shot!" gimmick. Every time I noticed the cut it detracted from the film quality, i.e. it pointed up Inarritu's ineptitude. Long takes are fine, but don't try to make a fool of your audience.

Yes, but it really fits the theme and narrative.

>If these people are going through your mind, you may want to off yourself:
>lynch
based

what do people even see in werner herzog?

It would have fit better if he had actually pulled it off. Having failed that, it's mere pretense.

Have you seen Rope?

fitzcarraldo

DUDE WIDESCREEN LMAO

I would have enjoyed it much more if Emma Stone wasn't in it.

Yes. In Rope, the cuts are obvious. Hitchcock does not attempt to deceive his audience into believing the entire film is a single shot. As I said before, I have no problem with long takes, unless they're an attempt to cover up an artistic failing.

"Based" in idiocy and brainletdom, maybe

What do you think about Tarkovsky's long takes?

But they aren't, really.

Jean Pierre Melville is like Raymond Chandler+Greek tragedy

As distinct from Hitchcock's? That's a difficult question. If one compares Rope to Stalker, for instance, Hitchcock goes for a slow zoom while Tarkovsky paints a tableau, i.e. he eschews zoom (to my recollection, I haven't seen the film in quite a while) and, if any action happens, it consists in the characters' motions. I wouldn't say either is "better": both techniques work well in their respective settings. The zooming gives the sense of a rope being pulled, as if the audience itself is being hanged; the almost static action of lingering shots in Stalker conveys a sensation of frozen dread.

yves montand is the man

>mfw am nothing more then a mediocrity
It's hurts.

i liked that movie

Yes, it's pretty good, but definitely not his best.

what's his best?

Lots of things.

I would say Vivre Sa Vie, but check out Breathless and Bande a part, that one is a classic.

Answer me, cunt.

a really comfy movie, as well

In Breathless there is a cameo of Jean-Pierre Melville.

SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK

Great until the last 30 minutes where they intentionally break their own logic to make us feel bad for the main character.

Army of Shadows > Le Samurai > The Red Circle

And some Terry Gilliam too.

Breathless

Noe isn't trash.

russians

>le quirky girl
I thought it was just ok honestly

Hellboy 2 by Guillermo del Toro

the correct answer is "Weekend"

Michael Bay confirmed for kino
>no Michael Bay

This film is just a hipster version of a Wes Anderson flick, Jim Jarmusch crams all his fetish objects and topics into a self-indulgent mess. Seeing Tilda Swinton (I think?) put all those book in her suitcase made me a bit nauseous.
I hate Week-end with a burning passion, simply quoting Bataille and Lautréamont doesn't mean anything when you can't make their thoughts interesting in an original manner. Furthermore the awareness with which Godard approaches communism is, quite obviously, since the whole film is dedicated to it, way more sophisticated in La Chinoise. Pierrot le Fou is simply more fun and Vivre Sa Vie is genuinely touching.

A lot of western cinema I agree with has already been said, but I'd add people like Ozu. Don't only watch Western cinema.
Also, Luis Buñuel, Ken Loach, Jean Luc Goddard etc.

You would make a great combo with Žižek.

Pierrot Le Fou is the best IMO, but I won't deny I'm probably a bit swayed by select scenes of supreme beauty.

Yeah, a lot of my more patrician cinema friends all cite Week-end as the best one, but I've never 'got' it. It's quite pretty in parts, but there's something almost messy and ugly in others. Maybe that's the point, but the entire thing never felt complete.

If you want to add another Japanese filmmaker, Teshigahara is great and he adapted several Kobo Abe novels, so he is definitely Veeky Forums in that sense.

Thanks for the rec, I'll check him out.

Lasagna Cat Sex Survey Results

Its Dostoevskyesque.

the last ten minutes, sure

Also the first four and a half hours.

my favorite movie is the turin horse .
after that i like the discreet charm of the bourgeoisie
also exterminating angel

haha the pretence in this post
at the moment your clearly reveling in imdb-entry level pleb fodder
go watch some lav diaz, malle, queysanne fuck even antonioni will do

>reading comprehension