What do you think of him Veeky Forums?

What do you think of him Veeky Forums?

Have any of you ever read his books?

Do you like him?

From what I've heard he blends mythology very interestingly, but I'm 99% sure its going to be trash if I start reading him.

I like his comfy aesthetic, even though there are probably better writers doing similar stuff. American Gods has some nice bits with the gods themselves, but the protagonist "Shadow Moon" is very thin. Graveyard Book and the Sandman comics were better.

fun to read

define the 'comfy aesthetic'. What about it is comfy to you?

I think there are some unanswered questions about his connections to scientology. He admits being raised a scientologist, but has never really gone out of his way to reject the religion/organization.

Scientology has a history of trying to use subliminal messaging in it's literature and imagery. So reader beware, you could be reading scientology propaganda without realizing it.

Any reading of Gaiman should be accompanied with criticism of scientology.

he is a golem constructed entirely out of pixie dust and unicorn farts. instead of the word of god, he has a Shem attached to his forehead that says "oh, tee hee!"

>He admits being raised a scientologist,

no, he doesn't. one of his parents had some connection with the group, and the Clams themselves like to claim him as a member, but he isn't, and has never been.

American Gods is the worst book I've ever read.

I liked Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book

not much else really

Fuck his books, his stuff is better as a visual medium.

Stardust the movie>stardust the book
Coraline the movie>the comic>the book

Sandman is great because it's a comic.

I admit I haven't read anything post Graveyard Book so maybe his latest books are better

but seriously. I think he has really good visual ideas and characters but his prose isn't the appeal.

i got tired of the "young girl trapped in a dreamworld of her own creation" story. also, he seems to be an exponent of the Harlan Ellison School Of Wistful Nostalgia For A Past That Never Existed Outside Of The Stories Of Ray Bradbury.

You know that stardust was a graphic novel before they turned it into a normal book?

so what exactly is the problem with Scientology?

I've read a couple, but I can speak only about Sandman (the rest was read too long ago).
Overrated as shit. It is all references and neat (maybe) concepts and ideas and shit, but nothing ever takes off. He doesn't have a point to prove and can't write a good story, and all the elements end up just lying around purposelessly. He can set up seemingly massive conflicts (Corinthian, the arc with the keys of Hell) and then solve them with a deus ex machina or in some other anticlimactic, lazy and disappointing manner. He is also derivative of Moore (Swamp Thing in particular).

Is this really the level of contrarianism we have reached?

I prefer his wife, Amanda Palmer

> clams actually believe this

But she is gross.

There's a palpable love of storytelling in all his stuff, whether it's a retelling of old folklore like AG or the new Norse book, or something like Coraline. Kind of reminds me of being read to as a kid.

Yeah, pretty much.

*meant for

he's like chuck palahniuk where he really only writes one thing and he does it pretty well. you're not reading shakespeare but that's not really the point anyways. pretty much everything he writes is better in a visual medium like said tho

problem? let's see.. Hubbard acknowledged that the point of it was to make money? they treat their cultists like slaves, often working them to death? their policy of "Fair Play" encourages the cultists to do literally anything in defense of their cult, up to and including murder?

and this is all supposed to be a "religion" aimed at bettering mankind?

i know you're trolling, but there's a straight answer for you. if you have $250,000, you too can be cleared of imaginary alien souls. or maybe it's $500,000 now, with inflation.

amanda palmer rules, fuck off

His books are disgusting.
I've appreciated as a teenager his graphic novels with Dave McKean, especially Me Punch and Violent Cases. I should reread them.

Nice tits tho

I've actually only read Neverwhere and really enjoyed it. It's not good by Veeky Forums standards but it's a very enjoyable novel and a comfy read.

He is a very proficient pop fiction writer who knows exactly what his audience wants and delivers it efficiently.

This. He's a fairly mediocre writer, but has a great imagination and sense for interesting imagery..

A former stripper turned 'performance artist' singer?

i think he's a good author even though i haven't read his stuff. i've listened to him on the radio now and then and he has a lot of good to say. although at times he drifts into sounding a little too ambitious. i think i heard him talking about stardust and that he wanted to 'write the mythology of England' or something, Albion etc. i haven't read stardust, but i've seen the film, and it doesn't really strike me as the 'mythology' of anything.

He comes up with interesting characters but his long form narratives are sort of boring. The comics written using his characters but that he didn't write out are better than the ones he plotted and his novels are tedious and full of plot holes, but his short stories even if you dislike them are artful, little perfect nuggets of how to tell stories.

yeah he always struck me as a little basic plot-wise.

He has two sisters who are Scientologists and the mother of some of his children is also one. If he criticises it, they'll mark him a suppressive person and cut him (and ostensibly his kids) from their lives. I think he's avoiding public denunciation to protect his kids from being cut off from their mother as well as trying to stay in contact with his sisters. I can't blame him.

There is literally nothing wrong with scientology

Couldn't end it, I gave up about 2/3 in the book.
Couldn't care about any character.

it's actually going through a reform period right now, some people are branching of and stuff. Just like the catholic church did.

Sandman is phenomenal, I think I've re-read it all at least 5 times. American Gods was okay ish, I'm hoping the show will be better. Coraline was great as a movie, and I enjoyed Trigger Warning, his collection of short stories.

He's a pop author, nothing too deep, he works better in comics, but overall he's alright for what he is

I can't understand why there are actual Scientology apologists on here

I've never read any of his work but his Doctor Who episodes aren't very good.

I real Neverwhere. I guess it was fine. The Door character and those two mean guys were shit and I don't remember the writing being anything special but apart from that it was decent.

He does atmosphere well, but his plots always map too closely to hero's journey. His characters are usually well drawn and engaging.

I can't really remember much of a payoff or climax in his work - I think he prefers world building and characted over resolution.

Because its cool?

is it though?

Does your mom know you're gay?

that's nice, dear. Tell that to Lisa McPherson and Jett Travolta.

oh, you can't. they're both DEAD.

> forced to work with no pay
> junk food and army barracks accomodation
> made to sit in the middle of a circle of people who scream at you for hours
> "WHAT ARE YOUR CRIMES? CONFESS! WHAT ARE YOUR CRIMES?"
> break any of the thirty thousand or so rules and you have to be Audited
> Auditing costs thousands of dollars, but they'll do it on credit as long as you work for them
> try to leave and they put you on the Fair Game list
> worship an autistic failed SF writer who tried to start his own nation on a leaky ship full of starved slaves and teenaged girls in tight shorts
> believed his own bullshit
> claimed to be a war hero
> once ordered a torpedo fired at an Hawaiian Island
> missed

yeah, you're right. scientology IS cool. Hubbard was just like Jesus, and David Miscavige looks a lot like Arnold Rimmer from "Red Dwarf".

Good Omens and The Sandman are GOAT.
Everything else falls somewhere between competent and mediocre.

Same. I was so fucking sick of that stupid ass town in the middle of nowhere too.

Stardust is a insult to Lord Dunsany.

I've never read a single thing by the guy but when I didn't submit a quote for my high school graduation ceremony (a speaker would read a a blurb of our choosing as we walked across the stage to get our certificate) they just read out some random Neil Gaiman quote which was apparently very funny because everyone laughed. I don't remember what the quote was but uh thanks Neil for making me look good I guess