Name the

Name the
1. Most beautiful field of mathematics
2. Most pig disgusting field of mathematics

Obviously in terms of how clean, smooth and well developed it is, not how useful it is

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_btrpe9ou5M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>1. Most beautiful field of mathematics
applied math
>2. Most pig disgusting field of mathematics
pure math

Now now, no trolling sweetie :)

1- Topologie

2- Arithmétique

Complex Analysis
Measure Theory

pure math
applied math

1. Number theory
2. Category theory

1. differential topology
2. numerical analysis and graph theory

1. Analysis
2. Geometric algebra

1. Probably some kind of funky area of geometry or topology related to string theory
2. Real analysis, hands down: just look at that hideous expression in your pic. Complex analysis is better, but even then all the really fun bits are just complex calculus, making liberal use of infinitesimals and so on.

>2- Arithmétique
Pd

1- Number Theory

2- Anything applied

1. Number theory, complex analysis and logic

2. Numerical maths

The only "clean" and "smooth" fields of math are either dead fields (ie. point-set topology) or the part you learn about in class. Any "living" field of math is likely to be pretty ugly because the recent stuff hasn't been properly digested and "smoothed out".

Rational Trigonometry
2. Most pig disgusting field of mathematics
Real Analysis

1. Group Theory
2. Group Theory

It's like being married to an abusive wife that beats your ass and takes every opportunity to humiliate you in public, but she can suck a mean dick.

>Most beautiful field of mathematics
Differential Geometry/ differential topology

>Most pig disgusting field of mathematics
statistics

1.Differential equations
2.Numerical

idiotic

Numerical analysis is really cool you faggots. Fuck off.

Geometric Algebra is filthy slut

1. Functional Analysis
2. Optimization

>not combining both
you're welcome, too stop applied math shaming

>all this hate for numerics
i think being able to compute and visualize the things prove is interesting in its own right though

Anyway:
>most beautiful
functional analysis
>most pd
probability and statistics (with no measure theory and no analysis, the kind bio majors learn in upper division courses)

>i think being able to compute and visualize the things prove is interesting in its own right though
yeah, I agree it's damn useful and it's cool to have some bridge between real world and our abstract nonsense. it's just that everything in numerical analysis, the theorems, the proofs, it's all so dull compared to literally every other field, at least for me.

>the theorems, the proofs, it's all so dull compared to literally every other field
i'd agree on entry level numeric analysis since it's basically all taylor series for order of convergence proofs.
the more advanced stuff gets more interesting and requires a good understanding of functional analysis

1. Anything which makes heavy use of category theory.
2. Garbage which doesn't use category theory.

i agree at the intro level. This user says it well though. Things like the Least Square Function Approximation Algorithm give a great way to visualize basis for function spaces, with very clean equations left for the computer to solve.

Holistic math. >2. Most pig disgusting field of mathematics
topology

Of those that I've handled

Discrete geometry
Probability theory, should be easy but it makes no logical sense.

t. brainlet

Honestly? Go fuck yourself. Your opinions are fucking shit you retarded cocksucker.

Show me on this doll where did mister Clifford touch you.

Never understood why people worship topology when all it does is solve made-up problems that aren't important at all

Because it solves real-world problems that matter a lot.

because you have never been exposed to actual topology, you probably just saw some popsci videos on youtube and you think all there is to topology is "how do we unfold this n-dimensional klein bottle in this 2n-dimensional space"

Thats literally all it is though

you haven't read a Topology book, have you?

Ohhhh, man. Have you recently taken your first functional analysis course? I ask this because most of the theory was created for optimization questions. The history of functional analysis is mired within desires for optimizations and solutions to equations with no classical solutions.

I loved statistics in high school. Rn, differential calculus is trash

bayesian statistics
complex analysis

No because as I've said, Topology is autistic rambling about made up bullcrap

I'm taking my first class in it. After taking several real analysis classes, I realize application s are better for me.

1. Algebraic Number Theory

2. Statistics

1. Number Theory
2. Bifurcation theory

>Name the
Set theory. Really cool connections with other fields.

Group theory. A hodge-podge clusterfuck stuck together by chemists and physicists

>Set theory.
Garbage.
>Group theory.
Set-theoretic group theory you mean? Of course it's pig disgusting, it's set-theoretic .

wasn't it mostly created for analysing fourier series in the first place?

>statistics
>math

1. Number theory.
2. Graph theory.

1. Sums and subtraction (ω*)
2. Multiplication and Division ( •̀ω•́ )σ

>Really cool connections with other fields
obviously, since it's the axiomatic foundation of all other fields.

that does however not make it interesting in itself

1. Probability theory.
2. Computer science.

youtube.com/watch?v=_btrpe9ou5M

wtf is this

1. Category theory, nothing comes close
2. PDEs

>all
Speak for yourself.

Set theory can encode most of mathematics but it does so in an awkward and unintuitive way.
The statement [math]17 \in \pi [/math] is valid and might even be true, even though hardly anyone could tell you if it is. This is due to the ambiguity in the construction of [math]\mathbb{R}[/math] - if you define the reals as Dedekind cuts, the statement might be true while it might be wrong when you consider the reals as equivalence classes of Cauchy sequences.
Philosophically, this arises due to fact that set theory only has one truly primitive notion, that of an element. Intuitively dynamic concepts like functions and homomorphisms are encoded in this static manner.
Category theory, especially topos theory, has a much more natural interpretation for mathematical objects; not least because it has two notions at heart - objects and morphisms between them. Questions like is [math]mathbb{Z} \in e^2[/math] don't make sense, just as our intuition demands.

[math]x \in A[/math] being a proposition instead of a judgement is also pretty retarded.

generalized functions. looked through a few scripts and it always looks so hacked

>Most beautiful
No idea, there's a lot of great shit
>Most disgusting
Monte-carlo numerical methods.

>t. Wrote my bachelor on monte-carlo numerical methods

differential geometry/algebraic geometry
combinatorics

1. Analysis
2. Category theory

>1. Algebraic geometry
>solve geometric problems in the category of modules
>functors can be represented by maps into stacks/schemes
Everything in algebraic geometry is beautiful at heart, even if the notation can become a bit cumbersome in real world applications.

>2. Operator analysis
>use vague approximations everywhere
>several isomorphisms need a specific but somwhat arbitrary constant (e.g. c=1.52) to work

>1 Most beautiful field of mathematics
Generally, functional analysis. More specifically, abstract harmonic analysis.
Probability is often pretty terrible. Beyond its content, its notation is complete and utter trash.

the fuck

linear algebra
statistics

I fucking cut you m8!

triple integrals
combinatorics

1. Algebraic number theory
2. Analytic number theory

this

what's the difference between a statement and a judgement?

ahh, a true connoisseur of all things mathematic