At which point did ideology overtake substance in Western thought?

At which point did ideology overtake substance in Western thought?

Pictured is required reading for my Literature course at University.

It became more prominent once the SJWs started making people be guilty of things that they didn't have control of, especially their race and gender. White guilt and male guilt are great examples of these.

With the rise of the novel as a form of entertainment for bourgeois

Before I answer I want you to explain your problems with that quote without the use of Buzzwords.

It makes the assumption that people are defensive against middle easterners because they are different in terms of skin tone rather than the fact that they are savages.

I mean, the term "savage" is a great example of point of view.

From your point of view, they are savages, which I'm assuming means violent, brutal, primitive, pre-human.

Of course, no middle easterner see's their own culture as any of these things. It's completely natural to them It is how civilization should be.

Forget who is right and who is wrong, or which culture is better. The passage from your homework is an adequette explanation of perspective and point of view.

There is no objective truth that one culture is or isn't savage. There is no super-position above any two characters/cultures by which you can judge objective truth.

you say the FACT they are savages. This is only a fact from one of the perspectives. The other side does not see it as a fact.

>From your point of view, they are savages, which I'm assuming means violent, brutal, primitive, pre-human.
>you say the FACT they are savages. This is only a fact from one of the perspectives. The other side does not see it as a fact.

Moral relativism is dogshit. You may as well say our civilization isn't better just because we can touch the stars while they're still sticking their faces in the dirt. Sad!

Any culture that doesn't ascend to moral relativism is primitive and inferior.

So you're saying that moral relativism is an objective measure of cultural progress? Hmmm...

Moral relativism degrades a society into a cultureless blob of hedonism

I wonder, would the perspective of the film change to make the Taliban seem less menacing if the story was told from the perspective of a wealthy western white woman who had been captured by the Taliban? Or any white woman? Or any woman? Or any westerner at all? Really makes me think.

Well that can certainly be true, but what are we disputing hear?

Your homework is defining the term "point of view". It's defining this term properly.

What alternative definition could you have for "point of view/perspective"?

Go do your homework

>There is no super-position above any two characters/cultures by which you can judge objective truth.
Never heard of God, eh?

:^D

Moral relativism is not hedonism, otherwise we would just say hedonism you mong.

I have, but then I shrugged and went on with my life.

Yeah, but he stopped talking to me.

What's he telling you these days? Say hi to him for me.

>It makes the assumption that people are defensive against middle easterners because they are different in terms of skin tone
No it doesn't. Learn to read what's written, not what conforms to your agenda. It's pretty hilarious that -that- is how you follow up a complaint about 'ideology'.

Holy trips are holy.

I feel for you, buddy. You replied sincerely to a bait thread.

>Anyone who makes fun of god is a fedora.
You don't understand that meme...

If you're ever going to define anything then it should be done from a place as distant from your bias as possible.

If I were going to write a definition about savage I wouldn't include an associated rant about Islam inside it - because that's not how dictionaries should work.

6/10. Bonus points because no one got it.

>No it doesn't

>hes a white guy
>so hes afraid of middle easterners
>because they are so ""different""

>STRAIGHT WHITE MALE

This shit seriously needs to stop.
I really wanna have right wing death squads at this point. And this coming from someone who was somewhat of a liberal 5 years ago. They really are pushing everyone to the fringe.

>skin colour is the only difference mentioned or implied in that text
Jesus Christ, user. What university did you go to, and how the hell did you get in?

Never mentions sexual orientation.

You are so spooked by your own "oppression" it's ridiculous.

There is a difference between narration and narrative. This quote does not meaningfully distinguish between the two.

Damn... What was it without the bonus points, because 6/10 is not a PB.

I am not the one who originally mentioned skin color, I simply responded to it.

I'd ask you the same question but its clear you haven't even left high school yet.

no u

If you're a moral relativist, go cry in the corner and leave the rest of us to make decisions. You shouldn't care anyway.

That doesn't make any sense. I can be a moral relativist who takes the position that humanity has a definite and true purpose, while recognising that other people do not believe the same thing and don't have to.

It's just about perceiving the most accurate reality, brosef, why can so many people not understand that moral relativity is not the same concept as hedonism or nihilism?