Australian literature general

Alright gents, Australian culture is fucked. We need to look back.

Who here has any knowledge of Australian literature?

I'll start off. Anyone read Xavier Herbert's "Poor Fellow My Country"?
>Primarily, it is the story of Jeremy Delacy and his illegitimate grandson Prindy in the years leading up to World War II. The novel's subject matter includes Aboriginal affairs and Australian patriotism and Australian nationalism,

Anyone have any recommendations for Australian literature both fiction, history, political theory, philosophy?

Other urls found in this thread:

australianculture.org/the-foundations-of-culture-in-australia-stephensen-1936/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

About we had one of these threads.
Pic related, the definitive Brisbane novel.

Non-fiction: What's Wrong with ANZAC?: The Militarisation of Australian History, a uneven collection of essays around Gallipolli and how modern politics uses this more and more for their brand of nationalism

Girt - avoid, shitty reddit humor history of Australia

Fiction:
Smashed: Australian Drinking Stories. Lucky find, very ozzie

The Shiralee - part of Penguin, it's like The Road, but less depressing and more fistfights

Greg Egan from Perth is a very well-known name in hard science fiction, your mileage may vary as he can be extremely dry

Lmao we don't fucking have any.

MURNANE

Patrick White is the GOAT of Australian literature

Came across this infographic.

A lot of this is modernist/postmodernist garbage.

Poor Fellow My Country? More like Poor Fellow My Reader!!!! HAHAHAHAHA possums

That's an alright basic list but it's missing plenty

This desu. I've considered only 2-3 books that are apparently Australian. Dropped 2 of them and am only considering "The Lucky Country" despite it apparently being self loathing bullshit.

I bought Harp in the South the other day

I'm reading Voss at the moment and it's pretty fucking stellar.

White does what he wants it's fun to read.

Australia is a nice place to hang out but thats it. Its a British settler colony that was stillborn culturally because of the advent of globalism post-WW2. What culture it did have was British (nothing wrong with that) which was just promptly eradicated by self hating fags, shitlibs and quite likely the Irish too in the 1970's-90's.
>"The Lucky Country" despite it apparently being self loathing bullshit.
This is the only we can do. Hate ourselves or/and hate Britain. We're like that dumb suburban girl who fucks up continuously until she ends up on a greasy pole with daddy issues. Australia is a thot nation. The whole premise of The Lucky Country is that Australia is a country which coasted by on sheer dumb luck and his mistaken this for providence or skill. Sadly it is correct and hopefully there will be a massive crash in this country will shake things up. Otherwise we'll just be a mediocre nation of half arsed self hating shit kickers forever. Well that and a place for Chinks to stash their money in housing and property etc

>Australia is a thot nation.

your palindrome get is amazingly rare and noted but this so was cringe you should fall down an elevator shaft as recompense.

Australia today, in cultural terms, is a farcical postmodern fever dream. I've often had the same thought that Australia would only really evolve or develop in the wake of devastation. People say that Australia lost its innocence with Gallipoli, but I think it just delayed its adolescence. It's embarassing to compare Australia to any foreign culture that has braced the sands of time.

>Jewish Austrian Mother

You just don't understand (((art))), you philistine.

The imageboard gods gave me a sign that I was right. Australia is a stupid bratty girl
>People say that Australia lost its innocence with Gallipoli, but I think it just delayed its adolescence
I think we were in our adolescence in WW2-1960. From that point on we just sort of gave up. Bad childhood. Two world wars and a great depression. After that a cultural upheaval that resulted in a total loss of identity (60s/70s). Then again if we had been founded early there is no guarantee things would be better. Look at Canada. Yes I agree that Australia is a truly post-modern nation. Things that we consider "Australian" in our popculture with the exception of the first few bars of Waltzing Matilda are from the 80s onwards

A book I've been reading by Percy Stephensen in 1936 (Australian former communist that went full far-right in the 30s) called The Foundations of Culture in Australia has outlined pretty much the same concerns you've mentioned here. He goes on about how Australia has yet to evolve past it's roughian colonial self and has instead devolved into cultural cringe. The concerns he articulates become especially relavant later on and even today, where we're forced to hate our British heritage but at the same denied any original Australiana cultural nationalism that isnt post-modern multi-cult shitlib crap.

australianculture.org/the-foundations-of-culture-in-australia-stephensen-1936/
It's actually quite a great read and a lot of it is still painfully relevant today. It would spur on the Jindyworobak movement which was an attempt at an original indigenous Australian literary movement.

*published in 1936

Does Schindler's ark count?

The lucky country is also notable in my opinion because most of what applied in the early 60s can still be seen to apply today. I don't really think that's indicative of negative traits as much as it is a confirmation that Australia continues to develop in the same ways it always has. Perhaps this is where culture can really be found. Although it's not as glamorous as ANZAC and Anglo traditions.

Anyway, I just finished reading Power Without Glory and imo it was also a good indication of the above. Also some stuff about Catholics.

I don't agree that it is this simplistic, although I understand your point. It is frustrating explaining the Australian cultural perspective (or lack thereof) to individuals from Asian or European cultures for example.

This is *kind of* like Blood Meridian if I remember correctly.

It was surprisingly good. It was also made into a two-part TV movie that was really good too.

It was interesting seeing a very early colonial perspective, but a lot of the "frontier-war" bs is exaggerated.

Bump