Tell The Women We're Going

ITT I share a Raymond Carver short story.

For anyone reading, I hope you enjoyed it. As of late I'm especially fond of minimalist prose and thought I'd share the love.

Thank you. Had never read anything by that guy.

Neither, thanks OP.

No problem. I can share a few others if requested.

Please do

OP reporting in/bumping. Bear with me, trying to get my daughter to sleep.

Thanks OP. That was comfy as polyester cloth on a Texas picnic table.

thank u for this op. appreciate the pleasantness

smooth reading

Okay I'm back.

I Could See The Smallest Things.

End.

Again, I can post more if requested.

Shut up, cunt.

Nice, if you want you can post more, it is your effort, but it will be appreciated, but that shouldnt compel coercion

Was this the guy who wrote something on a napkin for the protagonist of 'Birdman'?

Okay I'll post more when I can. I may be a few hours. If the thread dies then it dies.

I think it was shit, should I kill myself?

this is the guy who wrote the play that they perform in birdman

fuck shit man I did not expect that

that was a comfy ride till goddamn Jerry had to snap

I mean goddamn

Okay I'm back.

Page dump incoming.

oh right, I misread it and thought Bill was dating Carol, and Jerry was just cucking him at every chance he got.

lel

Good idea OP, we should have more threads like this. My favorite Carver is So Much Water So Close To Home.

I may post that one later. It's savage. Really uncomfortable to read.

Anyway, end of Gazebo.

Kudos OP, youre the man. Bump so I can catch up later

I just read a book of Carver's short stories, so I will not read this one.
I wish you all well.

>storytime on Veeky Forums
something tells me these threads should be regular

Okay I need some input here on a stupid detail because I felt retarded in class

We read Tell The Women in one of my classes and my professor insisted that Jerry didn't kill the women, that he raped them instead

It seems so glaringly obvious to me that he killed them that I don't see how she could possible have gotten rape out of that

Please validate me

Good story. Just read this collection last month.

I don't know why I'm laughing so hard at this but I hope it becomes a thing

What evidence did she provide, if any?

>Bill had just wanted to fuck
>It started and ended with a rock
It's crystal clear Jerry just killed them.

Huh, this shits really good op. I'm getting alot of Joyce vibes from this author. Please post more, post the entire book for gods sake; we'll all read and discuss.

I preferred the version in Beginners desu. I read what we talk about last, after Cathedral and Beginners, and the Lish edits either seemed inconsequential (rearranging some words) or him just plain hijacking Carvers work to make his mark on him and claim some of Carver for himself. The Carver version of "I could see the smallest things" is much better too. I appreciate What we talk about... for what it is though: An editor trying to craft some kind of avant-garde collection out of a bunch of really fine pieces of short fiction.

Read the version in "Beginners", it's the unedited manuscript Carver submitted to his editor Gordon Lish. Gordon Lish then cut massive amounts of text out to create some kind of bizzare aesthetic. Most of the stories in Beginners are more fleshed out and you get into the characters head more.

From beginners

"She sank back, and he stood up. Then he bent over and worked loose from the ground a big rock. Loose dirt fell from the bottom of the rock as he raised it up even with his eyes and then iver his head. The he dropped it on the girls face. It sounded like a slap. He picked up the rock again, trying not to look at her, and dropped it once more. Then he picked up the rock again.

OP reporting in. I'm at work all day but I'll try to check in on my lunch break. I may just end up sharing the whole book over the next few days provided the thread doesn't die.

Fuck it, here's the first story.

That's it for now.

Enjoy.

Wow. When I made a thread about Carver Veeky Forums shit on my for liking >muh minimalism, >muh dumb American prose, >muh Hemmingway. It turns out that as soon as Veeky Forums actually reads, they love the stuff.
Great idea, op. Could you post the cover too, after you're done with this latest story?
We should do this more often.

It's still shit. OP just happened to put in effort so we're not pooping on their party.

I own this edition.

>their
It's ok son, you're on Veeky Forums now. You can assume someone's gender. Mommy's not gonna know. Also, op is a man. A man's man. We know that because he reads Raymond Carver. At work. He is not afraid to post pages, whole stories even, in defiance of copyright law as well as Veeky Forums's shit tastes. He brought the book at work with him and he went ahead and did that. Your snotty sarcasm, your facile irony? He's seen it all before, he's fried bigger fish than you, tadpole boy.

Taking a quick break.

Here's Viewfinder.

a bump for /our guy/
hes not the big guy we deserve (for You), hes the one we need

>A man's man.

pussy detected.

i'm sick of apparent "men" having to qualify themselves as men. the very same kind of people that believe gender is binary believe there are grades of masculinity somehow. grow a pair or pls kys.

Fuck off

Mr Coffee And Mr Fixit.

i dont really get this one, am i retarded?

Sacks

Back to tumblr.

Bumping this thread.

Seriously keep at it

OP reporting in, thought thread was dying so I was letting it. May continue the page dump in a few hours.