Been three chapters on this

been three chapters on this.
It's like reading an anime light novel.

was I trolled into reading this?

>has read anime novels
>now unable to comprehend genre fiction
Anime. Not even once.

Keep reading. You'll be amazed by how he created an epic on the scale of LOTR in less than 600 pages.

Not really though.

>genre fiction

Enough said.

>anime light novel.
You have to explain yourself because I don't read weeb """""books"""""

the quality of the prose.

Dune reads like harumi susumiya.

op is 16 or 32.

Couldn't you then just have said "I don't like the prose", you obtuse motherfucker?

u seem triggered, dear rodditor.

>reading scifi for the prose
How much anime did you take user?

Well it pretty much is. Except light novels are generally short individually, but make a long series. Dune consists of a handful of novels, each of which significally changes the storyline.

Muad'Dib? more like Mary Sue

Did you even read past the second book? He's written to seem perfect but in reality, after murdering millions of people the one hard choice he can't make is the one that causes him great suffering (i.e the sandtrout transformation necessary for the Golden Path), and instead leaves that fate to his son. Herbert was trying to express that real-life Mary Sues and messianic figures are not trustworthy.

>you have to read over 600 pages to see that a character isn't lazily written
Dune apologists are sad

Are the books written by his son really that bad?

no that's pretty accurate. i mean it's scifi

we get a lot of people saying "i don't like the prose", but they never say why. too many long words? concepts a bit too deep for you? tired of all the politicking and you just want to see descriptions of shit blow up?

you'd be happier with the prequels. they've got giant robot battles!

yes. they are. i read one, threw it out, then graciously gave them a second chance, read a second one and then threw it out.

I knew there was no hope when Leto's first son was killed in a terrorist bombing, and he reeled back, clutching the air, and shouted "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

>"i don't like the prose"
>concepts a bit too deep for you?
user...

so i'm going to ignore the very transparent/flaccid trolling and say i hate this infographic so fucking much

do you like dune? read more dune. there you go pal. you read some dune

Eh, I think the prose is bad but it's true that people don't say why. Would be interesting to see someone explain how it's bad with examples.

>do you like dune? read more dune.

Do you like dune? Stop reading after Dune Messiah

Yup.
Dune is the most over-rated SF book ever.

Underrated posts.

Science fiction is about ideas, you dimwit. Nobody reads it for the prose.

The writing is shit. The National Lampoon Doon nails it;
>"This realization focused within him in a sudden sparkflash computation, and in the clear brilliance of that illumination, the boy Pall understood a profoundness. His life, hitherto a child's plaything, devoid of direction–seemingly! Or had there in fact always been a plan–a plan within a plan within a plan (whatever that meant (whatever that meant (whatever that meant)))?–was now encompassed by a terrible purpose. He knew the meaning of the word terrible, and he knew the meaning of the word purpose. And therefore he understood deeply the meaning of "terrible purpose". Unless he, in the solitude of his deeply brain-filled mind, misunderstood this revelation, and was in fact confronted with a "terrible papoose."
What could that mean?"

t. reader of the "literary fiction" genre.

Herbert seems to have read Hemingway and done it in reverse; why use three word s when a paragraph will do? Why *not* have characters tell themselves what they are doing inside their own heads?

>was I trolled into reading this?
Yes. It's still a neat book to read once.

>being impressed by "scale"

Go back to your community college writer's workshop.

The fact that this is considered 'a classic of science fiction' *and* science fiction fans will claim it is 'well-written' proves SF has been worthless for 2 generations

I've tried to read Dune 5 times but it feels so laboured. I say that as someone who loves Beckett and Joyce.

I really loved that series when i was 16.
But by book 4 or so it starts to get dumb.

no the fuck they're not. they're not as good as his dads but the plot follows the precise outlines his father left and they're still pretty good.

>Dune sucks
>sequels are worse
>pseudo-sequels EVEN WORSE
>you think they're pretty good

>Why *not* have characters tell themselves what they are doing inside their own heads?
Oh yeah, I remember that. Doesn't seem necessarily objectionable in principle, but something about the way he did it, with those sentences in italics, ground my gears hard. And that was back when I was 12 or something and would read anything.

Sadly though this means that for people who get used to good prose, a lost of scifi becomes pretty much unreadable.

I read almost all of it but by the last couple chapters I had completely lost all interest

Never finished it

Maybe it's good by genre fiction standards, I don't know