What does Veeky Forums think of Werner Herzog?

What does Veeky Forums think of Werner Herzog?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ze9-ARjL-ZA
youtube.com/watch?v=uL99NDUWJ0A
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Catsouras_photographs_controversy
youtube.com/watch?v=enk9NgIiu00
sciencefriday.com/segments/from-the-origin-of-art-to-the-end-of-humanity/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He wrote a pretty good book once.

I really liked Of Walking in Ice. He's just such an interesting and inspiring human being, it was interesting seeing the way he thinks

>tfw Werner Herzog will never walk from Munich to Paris in a half-symbolic gesture to save you from your sickness

He's pretty spectacular, I can't think of anyone who matches the consistently high quality of his documentaries

God-tier. Mostly seen his documentaries, but I'd consider him one of my favorite filmmakers.

His documentaries are great.

Some of his movies are kinda shit, but Aguirre the Wrath of God makes up for everything.

How do u get into his movies and documentaries? I know quite a bit about him and I have watched plenty of interviews and videos of him talking, which is interesting, although i haven't checked out any of his actual work. Whats a good starting point?

>How do u get into his movies and documentaries?

You uh...watch them?

People on lit are so intellectually stunted that they apply the "how do I get into x" mentality (which was constructed, btw, wholly to the purpose of getting pseuds to not ask so many stupid questions), to everything in life

It's a terrible day to be alive, I think I will kill myself

Grizzly Man is a good jumping off point

Movies take under two hours to watch though, just do it

I hate his voice

I don't think taste can possibly get worse than this

He's a living treasure. Definitely one of the most interesting people alive today.

I completely agree

it was an honest question. i am more interested in the material than picking fights about Veeky Forums politics. so i politely ask, what would be a good first film for someone who is familiar with herzogs voice. i know he does documentaries, traditional films and some unconventional projects (my best friend) so i don't get why my question is so ridiculous.

Fitzcaraldo, Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Aguirre.

I forgot Stroyczek, thats the first herzog I watched and it was a good introduction.

My best FIEND

MEIN LIEBE FIEND

youtube.com/watch?v=ze9-ARjL-ZA

I could listen to this clip on repeat for days

youtube.com/watch?v=uL99NDUWJ0A

Grizzly Man for documentary, Aguirre for fiction, Lessons of Darkness for something that's almost in between.

Anyone see Lo and Behold last year? Thought it was alright but he honestly could have taken it in a more interesting direction. Had to refuse to feel guilty because of viewing that girl's car crash pictures back in the old days of /b/ tho

Not yet but I've been meaning to. Into the Inferno, also from last year, was breathtaking though.

is his new one about computers any good?

Check out his book Conquest of the Useless, it's fantastic.

I thought it was ok. Not great, but explored kind of different ideas.

There's one point about a family who got death threats because their daughter was decapitated or some shit. Seemed fishy to me, made me want to look up the full story of what happened, but ultimately didn't give a shit enough to.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Catsouras_photographs_controversy

As I mentioned above, her photos were all over /b/ and gore sights. You might have seen them before if you have a morbid curiosity for that sort of thing. It's entirely true.

Top shelf director
Kaspar Hauser is up there with the best movies of all time
Also Strozsek is a masterpiece

if i said my favorite movie of his was even dwarfs started small, would you call me a contrarian retard?

I always felt Herzog speaks a language other than our own and we understand it like a Spaniard would kind of get Portuguese. His films seem to always branch off from the regular, including the more standard ones like Bad Lieutenant or Rescue Dawn, but I always find it it hard to put into words exactly how. They all have this aethereal quality that is impossible to define but you know it when you see it.

I don't even know if anything could ever be called Herzogian. What is the common link between Cobra Verde and Burden of Dreams? How do you define Cave of Forgotten Dreams and its albino aligators in relation to the hypnotic(literally) performances in Heart of Glass? Bizzare does not nearly cover it, it's almost like there's something else that's hard to put into words(if there are any words apt enough) that is the DNA of his body of work.

He clearly has a dash of madness. He is unflinching and when he puts his mind to something he does it, if it's stealing monkeys, eating his shoe or jumping in a cactus bush. Maybe madness is the wrong word here. He is not mad, he operates on a different plane while inhabiting the same reality as the rest of us. His work is almost like something alien is portruding here and the few that sense it can't help but stare in a trance-like state.

I just watched Incident at Loch Ness where he's poking fun at himself and the production companies. It's a tongue in cheek Herzog docu and at the same time it's still half mad and it does still retain that exoterrestrial quality of his. The world will be a far smaller place when he eventaually goes.

No Herzog choice is wrong user. Mine is Bad Lieutenant. My favorite Kinski collaboration is Cobra Verde. The documentary I like most is Encounters.

What's baby's first Herzog documentary?

Grizzly Man and Encounters at the End of the World are the easiest to digest. My Best Fiend too but you have yo watch his Kinski films beforehand.

He's a top tier lad.

He is a hack and a fraud

There ist no GOD. Only fear, desolation, and murder.

I just meant that it seemed weird the family would be totally harassed because of pictures of the dead daughter were online, seems like way more would be behind it.

>My favorite Kinski collaboration is Cobra Verde.

See...I always thought that was their worst one. I only watched it once, and it was during a psychotic alcoholic binge i was about 5 days into, but I'm positive that had no effect on my opinion.

For anyone who likes his 70s movies, check out Rainer Werner Fassbinder if you haven't already. The god of New German Cinema. World on a wire and Chinese Roulette are two of my favourite movies.

It's so horrible to see German cinema today when you know the uniqueness and quality 40 years earlier.

Herzog is my favorite director. I'd say I've seen somewhere between 20 and 30 of his films and they are all very good. Aguirre is my personal favorite. The only thing he's done that I thought was sort of cheesy was that anti-texting & driving PSA.

Nothing needed to "get into him". Maybe watch Grizzly Man?

Bad Lieutenant is great. That's the role Nick Cage was born to play.

Yeah, I need to check out more Fassbinder. I've only seen Ali: Fear Eats the Soul.

poor man's Merian C. Cooper

herzog is fantastic. all of his documentaries are excellent and aguirre is a beautiful work of art that makes up for shit like "where the green ants dream."

more than any other director he seems to touch on what makes a human being a human being.

Veeky Forums wise, his diary on the making of fitzcarraldo is definitely worth reading if you enjoy his films.

i thought it was maybe his best film yet.

What does Veeky Forums think of Klaus Kinski??

youtube.com/watch?v=enk9NgIiu00

This.

If he made one movie that's better than 99% of all other films, it doesn't matter if the rest of his work is shit, which it isn't

Fitzcarraldo is one of the best films ever made.

I've heard a lot about the production of the film so I'll have to check out his diary. I've always thought of Herzog primarily as a director so I know nothing about what he has written, what should I check out? Are his books translated from german?

My Son My Son What Have Ye Done is what I started with. Michael Shannon is incredible in it. That led me to Herzog's earlier stuff like Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo

A great director but if I had to pick a director from the german new wave of the late 70's and 80's as my favourite it'd be Wim Wenders. Alice in the cities and Paris, Texas are 2 of my favourite films.

Bad Lieutenant

Wenders always seemed like counterfeit art to me for some reason. Paris, Texas is an amazing film tho that is mostly related to me loving Harry Dean Stanton almost religiously.

what about Fitzcarraldo?
and his remake of Nosferatu was great
and Cobra Verde was pretty good

This. Off the chain.

scatterbrained meme trash

how are they anything alike? Cooper's great but what does any of this have to do with Herzog?

I love his documentaries and "my son, my son, what have ye done?"

unironically seems like the kinda guy that would have made a pretty good nazi if he was just born a few decades earlier

he's the most pretentious producer/director i've ever come across

his movies aren't that good even, he was literally carried by the eccentricity of his actors

any documentary is going to be great. As far as his fiction goes the Kinski collaborations are your safest bet

all i've read by him are the diary on the making of fitzcarraldo and "walking on ice", which is a much shorter diary of him walking from munich to paris during the winter. for what its worth, in an interview he stated that he thinks his literary works will outlive his film works.

both are translated and readily available.

are any of his other movies good? paris, texas was beautiful and alice in the cities is like some kind of perfect slice of life anime.

is that why everyone acclaims his documentaries?

Cave of Forgotten Dreams! Think it might be on shitflix

Good in roles where he was crazy, because he didn't need to act.
As a person, he was a sex-crazed lunatic who fucked everything from a to รถ, including his own daughter

this is the single worst opinion I have ever read

is that the one with the scene where herzog almost goes crazy at the sight of shoes in the windowsill

Re: Wim Wenders-- Wings of Desire is lovely. It's about angels in Berlin who listen to peoples inner monologues and philosophize about it n sheeit. Also, Peter Falk is in it and he plays himself... but he's also an angel. It's great, watch it.

I've only seen that one and Paris, Texas (which immediately became one of my faves), but now that I've seen two endorsements of Alice in the Cities, it's shot to the top of the list.

Help me get Aguirre. I just saw it the other night for the first time, and while I thought it was pretty good, as far as beautiful work of art... I'm not all the way there. Granted, many of the shots are incredible (for some reason, the shot of Aguirre's daughter from behind as the raft drifts into the riverbank stuck with me), and the fact that all of it was done on location is crazily impressive. Maybe I'm only slightly deterred by the fact that it looks like it was filmed on a vhs camcorder on a tape that already had someone's home movies on it and also it was dunked in piss.

theres a strong class resentment behind it. the fact that she was 18 and had a porsche but was stupid enough to crash at 100mph into a tollbooth really set people off. pictures of her and her family show these idyllic rich beautiful people living in california so it's basically anathema to people who spend too much time online. and then the family publicly commented that the photos should be removed from the internet, so that made the problem worse because it became a >muh censorship issue

even beyond that, it used to be a hobby on /b/ to post disgusting comments on memorial pages for dead people just to get a rise out of their grieving relatives. you really dont have to do anything wrong to be harassed online

I saw Aguirre and thought it was pretty shit, but the opening and ending scene made up for it

it wasn't actually her Porsche though

it was her dad's Porsche and she wasn't supposed to drive it and she was probably doing drugs

Samefag

Here's a pretty Veeky Forums interview

sciencefriday.com/segments/from-the-origin-of-art-to-the-end-of-humanity/

..why can't I access the transcript

Probably better to just listen, but..

My english isn't that good and Lawrence Krauss voice makes me kinda anti-semite, so I'd rather read it.

the scenes in the rapids, where if a rogue wave had hit people would have likely died or become seriously injured are always extremely impressive to me on reviewings. and of course some of the visuals or stunning like the boat in the tree, the woman walking off alone into the jungle, and the monkeys on the raft at the end. but honestly what draws me to it is how incredibly well the movie works as a horror film: these are men who slowly realize they are all going to die in the jungle (and die in horrifying ways). i'll grant you that it does look cheap in a few places, but what i think is actually going on is that it looks real. our brains are too trapped in the uncanny valley of CGI to notice reality anymore.

for a Veeky Forums connection its a good parallel to the heart of darkness