I'm about 2/3s of the way through pic related. I like it but it's strange...

I'm about 2/3s of the way through pic related. I like it but it's strange. Are this guy's other books written in this style as well? I'm not sure how I feel about it

Yes, it's all the same. Sadly, this mediocrity is what constitutes 'great American literature'.

I just read this too. I don't know how to feel about his writing style either.

It feels sort of like reading a screenplay to me, or someone thinking up a story. I enjoy the book so far I just think it's definitely a strange style

it's by far his least interesting work, prosewise

So are his other works, like blood meridian, written in the same style? Or maybe atleast a little different?

Same style, roughly, but much more florid and descriptive. Also any earlier work beats NCFOM by an miles.

He was working in a style that kind of 'achieved' self-parody at the conclusion of the B trilogy, after which he became less verbose. Suttree really is a great novel, despite moronic assertions to the contrary in a thread about a week ago.

How many newbois are there on Veeky Forums right now? The Carver thread was full of people saying they had never heard of any of RC's work

That's odd. Why wd anyone who hadn't heard of him enlist themselves? i.e. do you suppose?

blood meridian is more in a biblical style but yeah it's basically the same

>It feels sort of like reading a screenplay to me
funny thing about that

more difficult, especially blood meridian

Your mother birthed a failure.

It was originally a screenplay, so it's more sparse than the average McCarthy novel. I, particularly, love this novel, but Sutree and Blood Meridian are obviously the peak of McCarthy's ouvre.

I'm currently halfway through Blood Meridian and it sucks.

How is this a masterpiece? Its pretty shitty writing.

>How is this a masterpiece? Its pretty shitty writing.
Nu-males think reading about pointless gore validates their lack of real-world masculinity.

>Its pretty shitty writing.
I was already BTFO by the first page it's so beautiful I almost read it few times a week.

Shiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeet nigga... "See the child". damn

How is that good?

I hate the long sentences in this book. Everything is like "and x rode on through town x and did x and saw x and went through x doing x and and and and and..."

DFW wrote really long sentences in Infinite Jest but they weren't bad. McCarthy's sentences are the type that would make someone need to take deep breaths at each full stop if they read out loud.

>McCarthy's sentences are the type that would make someone need to take deep breaths at each full stop if they read out loud.

Your epidermis is showinh

>I hate the long sentences in this book. Everything is like "and x rode on through town x and did x and saw x and went through x doing x and and and and and..."
>I also don't like Faulkner who does the same thing in many books
>I think DFW has better prose than Faulkner

>Blood Meredian
>Worse than DFW
"It was a lone tree burning on the desert. A heraldic tree that the passing storm had left afire. The solitary pilgrim drawn up before it had traveled far to be here and he knelt in the hot sand and held his numbed hands out while all about in that circle attended companies of lesser auxiliaries routed forth into the inordinate day, small owls that crouched silently and stood from foot to foot and tarantulas and solpugas and vinegarroons and the vicious mygale spiders and beaded lizards with mouths black as a chowdog's, deadly to man, and the little desert basilisks that jet blood from their eyes and the small sandvipers like seemly gods, silent and the same, in Jeda, in Babylon. A constellation of ignited eyes that edged the ring of light all bound in a precarious truce before this torch whose brightness had set back the stars in their sockets."

It's good because it blows me the fuck away. What a start.

>reading screenplays