Latin American Boom edition

Latin American Boom edition

post your favourite books and authors

Other urls found in this thread:

web.mit.edu/21f702/21F702/Cuentos/DosqueSonaron.html
elcomercio.pe/eldominical/articulos-historicos/jorge-luis-borges-publico-cuento-hacedor-comercio-noticia-1726849
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do you consider Roberto Bolaño as part of the Boom

When does it ends exactly the movement?

I won't read your shitty books if you don't tell me whats so good about them.

You can wiki it, but its pretty much Borges to Llosa's later works. I think 2666 fits in the tradition, but is too late.

Well, the narrative it's really marvellous, the use of shifting perspectives and non-linear use of time, also you can contemplate the cuñture and historical evolution of Latin America in a better way than the stereotipical reggaeton-latin-lover shit

Why are most latin americans so retarded nowadays? Did the cold war dictatorships and american intervention kill all latino culture?

Hmm I see, yeah I guess its mainly matter of time but I think that La Fiesta del Chivo could pass as a part of the boom.

What do you think about Vargas Llosa's political views, he gets a lot of hate because his right wing position, I think its nothing wrong with that, but he needs to shut his mouth once in a while tho.

why do you say that? there is still a lot of good literature on latin america.

Every nation/culture have some retarded often stereotipical aspects and people and the L.A countries are not the exception.

Actually I think that the times of dictatorship and American intervention were more "fun" and culture developing than the present days

Name them

Paulina Flores and Lázaro Tello Pedró, for instance.

The younger generations feel ashamed of their traditions and want to copy all they see in series, movies, social media, etc. and think everythig made in their countries is shit. Most latinamerican teenagers make Halloween parties, would rather eat in a McDonald's than in a local restaurant.

Bigger cultures impose to the smaller ones, for example: in Mexico depending where you are there is different traditions, ways to speak, etc. But since all the mexican media is located in Mexico City, people in other regions start to copy what they see because is more mainstream. And that leads to the lost of a lot of cultures and diversity.

The latinamerican identity has been lost, instead of what people would think, latinamerican countries now hate eachother but love developed countries.

Shit, this was meant to be a response to 9195185

God-tierPaulina Flores is shit, mate. She only published a book of short stories, of which 1 or 2 are passable and the rest is garbage.

>would rather eat in a McDonald's than in a local restaurant.

Not in Bolivia. They had to leave the country because nobody eats that shit there.

Pretty goood IMO.

Paternalistic dictatorships and intrusive gringos give the youth something to rage about and create fantastic literature.

Neo-Liberalism is just sort of a policy set in place, and slowly saps culture like a vampire.

I have been learning Spanish for half a year through Duolingo and I want to start reading some actual Spanish literature. Can anybody recommend me some books or short story collections that are written in an easier and understandable language?

try this short story.
web.mit.edu/21f702/21F702/Cuentos/DosqueSonaron.html

Nice to se people here read stuff in Spanish and not only the meme Veeky Forums approved american tripe

this has very plain, terse prose that should be accessible.

But it uses to many mexican words.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will check them out.

It's amazing they awarded him the Nobel, considering the laundry list of deserving non-leftists who were sidelined simply because they were right wing.
>the bullshit criteria for that prize, 'an ideal direction.'

if you like the short story try this one (my favorite from Borges):
elcomercio.pe/eldominical/articulos-historicos/jorge-luis-borges-publico-cuento-hacedor-comercio-noticia-1726849

If you like that too, go deep with Borges.

I whole-heartily agree with you. I wonder now with Trump there will be actual literature burgeoning rather than just snide remarks by SNL...

sorry don't mean to get political but the thought just crossed my mind

Trump is not neliberal

Thoughts on del Paso?

I was referring to the "patriarchal dictator comment" as that is what many young people in opposition see him as

Haven't tried, that books is fucking huge.

oh I totally missread your comment.

My library has this, may try

Great taste