Red pill me on Grothendieck

"Alexander Grothendieck (/ˈɡroʊtəndiːk/; German: [ˈɡroːtn̩diːk]; French: [ɡʁɔtɛndik]; 28 March 1928 – 13 November 2014) was a German-born French mathematician who became the leading figure in the creation of modern algebraic geometry.[6][7] His research extended the scope of the field and added elements of commutative algebra, homological algebra, sheaf theory and category theory to its foundations, while his so-called "relative" perspective led to revolutionary advances in many areas of pure mathematics.[6][8] He is considered by many to be the greatest mathematician of the 20th century.[9]"

was he really the king of 20th century math?

Yeah. I in particular enjoy this anecdote of his:

I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 57 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavorable omen. "No," he replied, "it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest prime number expressible as the product of two primes."

lmao, thirty years seclusion, 10000 pages of original math, and he's never going to live this down.

this meme is DANK

GOAT meme for GOATendieck

ramanujan BTFO

If there was any post on this board that deserved a (You), it would be yours good sir

v nice meme

He failed a university entrance exam, questions related to astronomy if I remember correctly.

He looks like an alien.

>was he really the king of 20th century math?

I have the feeling that people saying that forget mathematicians from the first half of the century. Like Hilbert or Poincaré, but it certainly was a different era. It's also hard to tell what "king of the 20th century math" means, it depends on what criterium you choose. For example the works of Lebesgue have probably had more influence on today's mathematics than the works of Grothendieck. And i'm not sure Grothendieck was the greatest problem solver of hte XXth century either.

I don't know much about the works of Grothendieck but one mathematician of the XXth century that really impress me is Hermann Weyl. That guy did everything.

I guess the big thing about Grothendieck is that he was one of the core figures who really made mathematics into the field it is today. He was really the first mathematician to work at a level of generality where you could make meaningful theorems that span across disparate categories (like introducing abelian categories and coherent sheaves, which allows you to do crazy shit like homology theory and calculus in an algebraic geometry setting). His work had a huge influence on style, direction and setting of basically every field in mathematics.

There are probably other mathematicians within that movement, Serre in particular comes to mind, who you could say a lot of this stuff about, too. Grothendieck is just one of the biggest figures there with the goofiest backstory.

>i'm not sure Grothendieck was the greatest problem solver of hte XXth century either.
I don't think that's really relevant when you're as influential as Grothendieck was.

>20^th century
>literally anyone except Cantor or Gödel
uh??

>Cantor and Gödel
>"resolved" foundational "crisis" that only really affected set theorists, logicians and philosophers

>Grothendieck, Weil and Serre
>Fundamentally changed the way that open questions and definitions are formulated in all branches of mathematics

uh??

>t. never learned about Gödel or mathematical philosophy
>t. never did analysis or learned about Cantor's huge analytic dick
hrmmm??!?

Gödel also did work in gernal relativity.

But if we count him and Turing as logicans, them probably.
I mean it's tricky because Von Neumann also lived in this centure. And, at a smaller but still gigantic scale, people like Kolmogorov.

>never learned GRR
>Never read GAGA
>can't into sheaves or homology
hrmmm??!?

>any of those things
>existing without set theory
wwoah!!?!! :o

>Actually thinking set theory is important to working Mathematicians outside of set theory
>Particularly in AG
Woah boy

>doesn't know about ultrafilters
>doesn't know about non-standard models of set theory and the implications they can have in standard set theory
>not knowing model theory
>endlessly chasing an open problem thinking you can prove it when Chad McSettheory showed in high-school that the problem is unprovable within ZFC
lmfoa @ you're entire life

There is only one king

>red pill me
get back to /pol/ fgt pls

He stopped doing trivial math puzzles in order to pursue his spiritual development and got into ecological issues as well.
Basically became a green hermit sage.

Yep. Stinky Jew who never bathed and lived with his mom

Lebesgue? not a chance. Grothendieck of course wasn't the greatest "problem solver", but he deeply changed the way people think. ALL of modern representation theory, algebraic geometry, number theory and the unions of these previously diverse fields are dependant on his influence and insights. he saw deeper into the realm of the possible than anyone else, and that is why he's considered the greatest.