What is your major Veeky Forums ?

also, is this image accurate ?

>University
>Worth it

not by a fucking long shot, get an apprenticeship or a straight-up job. Learn a craft and get as good as you can at it, saves you debt and time in the long-run.

None

I don't want to do manual labor though.

>literature
>75%
lol

It was literature. It seems accurate for that one--about a fourth of my peers didn't understand how job searches work and lamented ever getting the degree.

Physics.

Worth it,. since you don't pay for education in Europe (in most cases), you can actually start your life with some money if you live in dormitory (almost free) and work part-time.

Yet, I'd like to know more about humanities so I wouldn't get baited by 'Start with Greeks'.

Well I guess it comes down to mentality and work-ethic.
I'm (probably) at the same junction as you are. Education or work? I'm personally done with education, I don't think the environment is correct for me and so I'm moving on, I have no work experience to an apprenticeship is the best option for me. Plus I believe a working environment is best environment for me, especially to learn a craft. If you want to spend the next five or so years rotting away in a dorm filled with people you hate, doing a course you disdain and come out knowing as much as you did when you went in, but now you have debts and even less life experience then be my guest.

Engineering, yes, kind of. Its subjective.

Based on my experience I'd say it's actually worth it for 50-60% of people.

History.

I don't exactly regret it but I think I'd have enjoyed it much more and got more out of it a few years later when I was past the worst of my awkward adolescent angst phase.

I question the survey methodology that sees respondents almost 50% more likely to say a lit major was worthwhile when compared to History. I think they're very much of a piece in that they can develop your critical thinking and cultural frame of reference but are unlikely to be directly relevant to your future occupation.

>Worthwhile degrees

what is that even supposed to mean?

>years rotting away in a dorm filled with people you hate, doing a course you disdain and come out knowing as much as you did when you went in
Your experience is not universal. Maybe you should have been less retarded and studied something you enjoy.

i am/was a gross stem major. yay le physics

>tfw chemist

feels good lads

what happened to harold

>tfw math major
>tfw most classmates more lit than lit majors

That's Shulgin you ignorant fuck

Not being a net drag on society after you graduate.

I didn't finish high scool I am what you'd call life's boy.

Is psychology really so bad ?

Could you elaborate? I'm currently studying lit, and it seems fine to get a job within the arts.
What do you mean by 'how job searches work'? And what job did you end up getting?

>yfw $300k starting

Why is $300k a meme?

>Modern Languages
Russian/Ling major here

I don't believe you

I am a two time college dropout.

Once for Business Administration.

Next for Computer Science.

Currently I work as a VIP Host for a Vegas nightclub and I repair iPhones during the day.

I do alright, I can do better and I don't necessarily think I want to go back to school - but a friend insists I get all the free money from the retarded leftists I can for going to school just because I'm not white and roll with it; in short I may go back.

Wrong

Reminder that all majors are worth it if you go to a top school with a good recruiting network and have good grades.

Anything else is either a waste of time or vocational training.

Welder

Worth it. Learned so much about metals and different welding processes.
Managed to teach myself literature during the time

>not even listing theology

I hope not

Math right now but it really bores me to tears sometimes, I can't imagine myself wanting to do it everyday. On the other hand I spend most of my time reading or thinking about reading. God damn it, im probably going to switch it up

>lit
>75%
Who the fuck are they kidding

You're not going to do pure math unless you go into research/academia anyways. Don't give up.

>tfw oxbridge offer holder

psychology is a sorority girl major so yes

Psychology always seems to attract people who need a psychiatrist in my experience.

I was a lit and philosophy major with a minor in a language and definitely feel it was worth it. I'm an ethics consultant at a major energy company, make p good money, love my job and loved my course of study. What more can you ask for in a degree?

Yep, that about sums it up. Posting from my office right now in communications. I knew the job I wanted and the program that would allow me to achieve that goal.

I understand that not everyone will be afforded the same opportunities, but pending some grand tragedy, everyone receives opportunities of some degree from which they can progress.

It's unfortunate that some don't understand how to leverage a degree, but do we really have to slow down for these people? It's not the program's fault the graduate was an abject failure.

It's personal opinion. It explains right on the chart.

>is this image accurate
Of course not, how is anyone seriously purporting that it is.

>I'd like to know more about humanities so I wouldn't get baited by 'Start with Greeks'
>I'd like to know more about humanities
>I'd like to know more

Start with the Greeks

Oh so cynical

See

>third year of literature
>awful communication skills
>awful writing skills

yup i'm fucked

Electricql Engineering/Philosophy double major
I wanted to do Lit after Engi, but in Russian you can't get second Lit major, it should be only first.
Feels bad, man

>>awful communication skills
>>awful writing skills

You might have low IQ. Can you construct, visualize and think through abstract concepts without issues?

>according to redditors

Because it doesn't fit their STEMsperg narrative: it is 100% worth it.

I'm pretty sure I have a low IQ. The thing is, I'm on course to get a First (which I believe is the equivalent of an American A), but when it comes to things like ordinary casual conversation, whether in person or online, I'm always struggling to find the right word. All the time.

>Can you construct, visualize and think through abstract concepts without issues?

The fact that I don't know what you mean by this is probably telling. Could you elaborate?

Well, the peers that are lamenting all seem to just hold out for "the one", usually a high profile career-type job. They seem to assume they can land a professorship, become a librarian, an editor, a writer, etc. all right after a BA/MA, while having never held another job or even just an internship.

They'll ask for "good vibes" or "prayers" after applying to that big job, and then go on a pity party when they don't get it. But that's just not how you look for a job. You don't only go for the most prestigious work, especially when you don't have anything but a degree to back you up.

Plus the fact that a lot of them aren't even seeking these jobs out themselves; they just see it posted on the job board the university keeps and then it's masses of folks applying for that same thing.

I work grading standardized tests. A little bit off the beaten path, but something perfect for me at this point.

If you can communicate effectively in writing (assuming you can since you're doing well on assignments) but struggle with aural communication, the issue is probably not directly associated with your IQ. Anxiety, practice and additional sociological factors that have formed the way you interact with others in a social environment affect your ability to speak extemporaneously. Obviously, being slow would have the same effect you've described, but you're clearly not at that level of debilitating stupidity.

>The fact that I don't know what you mean by this is probably telling. Could you elaborate?

Say you've read, Plato's Republic or something that requires a bit more thinking than regular novel.

How hard it is for you to visualize the concepts of that book and their internal relations? Can you detect patterns and internal/external relations easily? It's a test I make when I try to learn and it's so hard for me to do it, I don't think learning is supposed to be this hard. Can't write or speak for shit either. It's like trying to drill through titan for me, fuck.

I definitely have sub-100 IQ.

I'm in my second year of my psychology degree. i want to die.
my first semester i realised it was bullshit and useless but i stayed because i didn't know what the hell else i would do (this is the UK where there aren't majors and minors and other classes to switch between). what's worse is I'll have to do further studies in order to have a qualification that can get me anywhere so EVEN MORE DEBT YAY. seriously seriously want to die. they should fail you for even picking psychology.

Getting my a.s. in manufacturing next semester for quick bucks, but I also really enjoy machining.

I'd like to work on a b.a. in English lit afterwards but I have no idea where to begin

>Anxiety, practice and additional sociological factors that have formed the way you interact with others in a social environment affect your ability to speak extemporaneously
I knew this guy in college (damn one of these types of posts)

Dude got mad pussy every weekend, he was the Chad of the School or something like it. Rich, smart, handsome, kept parties at weekends, very social & happy lad.

but he could not hold a speech in front of a class, he even got heart arrhythmias one time when he tried to hold a presentation.

Just nuts.

this p much
uni is a meme, grades are a meme, networking and people skills are all that matters in the end as long as youre not a total piece of shit
> too bad i have none of those :^)

Uni is good as a certificate that you did pass through some kind of higher ed in the field specified.

As long as it isn't some crazy shit tier uni..

Exactly. Ask most who have been in their field for over 5 years. They will tell you that an employer has not once requested to see their grades. Unless it's something specific, like in engineering, an employer wants only two things. 1. Proof you graduated a relevant program to the applied position. 2. A portfolio that demonstrates you are capable of doing the job. This portfolio is the greatest asset, and will be worth more than the degree in a matter of years. But, you obviously could not build the portfolio without the degree first.

>People deriving worth in ways other than numbers on a paycheck

Incredible, i know.

>CS
>That high
No, that image has at least one major flaw

Nothing wrong with educating yourself in a field
There is a problem with investing money in a piece of paper that doesn't earn you money back

Environmental science with a minor in environmental communication here. Feels good. I'm also taking electives: environmental philosophy, environmental psychology, environmental history, environmental policy, etc. I'm literally taking everything with "environment" in the name. It's also interesting how diverse the classes are that have a focus in the environment.

>How hard it is for you to visualize the concepts of that book and their internal relations?

Hmm the closest I've come to testing that is probably a philosophy module I did last semester. I did surprisingly well in it, better than in any of my lit modules.

One problem I definitely have is differentiating and selecting words. For example, if someone were to describe the 1980 American Presidential Election, they might say, "Ronald Reagan crushed Jimmy Carter". There are probably a hundred different verbs you could "crushed" with - you could say destroyed, obliterated, demolished, decimated, annihilated and so on and so forth. My problem is that, in my head, ALL of these words carry the exact same, vague meaning. I don't know what contexts each word is best suited to, so essentially whenever I have to convey that general idea it's like I'm consulting a thesaurus in my head and then picking one at random rather than actually working out which one is the most apt for the thing I'm describing.

The reason it feels good is because I'm doing good in the world, focusing on restoration and health. I'd be interested to see who thinks their degree is "worth it" based on their individual field, because environmental science counts as a life science. Is biology more "worth it" than environmental science? Biology's probably holding the category back since it's so oversaturated. But 74% is still high, anyway.

Do you think "worth it" is more based on pay or their perception of good deeds?

I have the same problem. Liberty translates to freedom translates to liberty in my mind and depedning of teh context it might be a fuck up costing points.

but when I talked about conceptualizing I was talking about "the way you see something with your mind's eye" or something like that. Like a mental picture.

For me creating them is hard, following them to extract information is hard.

Pretty much the only way I can "learn" is if I just parrot it.. which is p. demoralizing. Takes also a ton of time. And if I cock up the first part of the sentence I memorized through brute force the entire thing goes to shit because I didn't really learn it.

feels bat man

Pharmacy.
Doing 3/5 year.
Cook drugs erryday

In a casual conversation, they all do mean the same thing. People understand what you mean generally. If you use the same word over and over, that would probably be worse. For example, wrecked, crazy, awesome, etc.

You might have issues recalling words. I did a bunch of drugs a few years ago so now occasionally a word just won't come to me. I still know what I'm trying to say though, and there really isn't anything wrong with dropping your sentence and saying it differently.

This sort of this is awful, yes.

According to the current meme science, I'm an 'ENTP'. I love to lead and teach people, and absolutely can through written communication, but struggle to speak (English, at least) even one-on-one with people. One exception is my wife, but of course she has gotten used to the odd way I communicate. I've noticed that I often exclude the subject and use clauses oddly, for example.

It's not even social anxiety, it's something else entirely.

>doing good in the world'
No you're not.

Have you ever tried learning an instrument and music theory? I have issues following Kant until I rephrase everything, but since I started music fairly early, I can imagine all sorts of chord movements, extensions ,and melodies over them. I have dreams where I'm playing guitar and coming up with complex melodies and chords.

Math is difficult for me though because I can't focus on it. I have to write everything down now. When I was a kid I didn't have issues with it.

>but when I talked about conceptualizing I was talking about "the way you see something with your mind's eye" or something like that. Like a mental picture.

I'm not sure. If you mean visualising a written description of something like a landscape then yeah I do struggle a bit but I think you mean something else? Maybe give another example?

>You might have issues recalling words ... I still know what I'm trying to say though

Yeah it's pretty much this. My idiomatic (sp?) grasp is shite too. Often I will try to articulate a thought only to find, after much deliberation, that there's a very common figure of speech that encompasses it (for example, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush")

Visualizing an abstract concept. I don't mean to "visualize a bright sun". I mean the thing of which you get your information. Maybe you don't do this then and it's only me.

for example for me the concept of "Republic" leaves a different image/imprint to my mind than "Negative Interest Rate Policy". They form a sort of abstract image/entity in my memory from where I then go and extract information to puke on the paper.

For me forming and using these is hard. I can't rely on this kind of memorizing,learning so my only hope is basically brute forcing and parroting the sentence as long as it takes. In that process I don't really learn it and take it within me. Just something I puke when something triggers the context where I saw the sentence with/attached/related.

So thus as I can't form these "images" I can't really learn these thigns as I can't see the internal and external relations all that well. This is sort of brought into real world when I try to draw mind map which I cannot for the life of me do at all. I just can't do a mindmap it will go to shit and be useless.

>pic unrelated some company dumped their toxins into water at Norilsk.

>Literature
I'm in Aus so my major is commonwealth assisted which means I only pay a quarter of the cost of the course so I'd say yeah, it's worth it.

first year of literature degree at a mediocre university. literally no plans after this, i just went to uni to kill a few years and i've always been passionate about books so i thought why not

Making sure the environment is safe for you isn't doing good?

This is me

ahh I think I see what you mean.

I reckon I'm neither good nor bad at it. I think my struggles in that respect are more to do with laziness. For example, I could read dozens of articles on a topic and think I understand it, but when it comes to relaying this info to someone else I can't do it independently - I have to rely on the work/thinkin of someone else. I guess the best way of explaining it is that my thoughts are too cloudy to be useful.

I still don't get what you mean be sentences though (e.g. "my only hope is basically brute forcing and parroting the sentence as long as it takes"). Do you mean you're just regurgitating the logic and language of the things you learn (via reading) rather than actually COMPREHENDING them? If so, then yes, I'm in the same boat.

Urban and Regional Planning

Its actually pretty neat, being a very wide field. It encompass transit, infrastructure, eco management, community development, property development, land use law, so I'm pretty happy.

Bonus: Because we do a lot of community advocacy and development especially for marginalized communities, we are pretty much a version of Ethnic/Women Studies that isn't useless and insane. Nothing feels better than being able to look at SJWs and know that you are doing their job infinitely better than they are.

only if you don't go to graduate school

Yeh you got what I mean.

This way of "learning" completely screws up seeing the larger picture and thus, the larger picture's connection to external factors.

>This way of "learning" completely screws up seeing the larger picture and thus, the larger picture's connection to external factors.

I think the best way to improve is to throw yourself into situations where you can't get away with scraps of half-knowledge. Sink or swim, that kind of thing.

I can't count the number of times I thought I understood a topic, only to find in a real life conversation with friends or debate on Veeky Forums that I can't actually put things into my own words because I don't fully understand what I'm talking about.

this so much

linguistics.
i am only studying linguistics because i have to study *something* and it is the subject i like most and also understand easily. i would switch to biology if i wasn't too lazy but meh

I did mathematics

utterly pointless degree, a waste of 3 years of my life desu

helped me get a job though

>implying an environment exists

Fuck, that actually sounds like a great career. Power to you user.

how do you like working with mexicans and illiterates?

>le schizo poster
Go away

Studying architecture which here in France is a mix of philosophy, art, history of art, sociology, physics and some maths. It is known to be extremely time consuming but I manage to dedicate one hour to reading every night.

I did an engineering degree and hated it. Even at its best, an engineering degree is just introductory maths, physics, and chemistry plus a load of glorified job training stamp collecting courses. I feel so humiliated for choosing it.

And I picked my nearest university and, even though it is old, it simply is not as prestigious as others I was eligible for. Which meant the courses were dumbed down and light on content and employers and everyone will forever see me as dumb.

I can't pass graduate interviews due to bad social skills. They are a test of normieness

Thank you. The only problem is the age of major city overhauls and master plans is long over so a lot of the time all that's left to us is the bureaucracy.

>linguistics and anthropology double major
>not even allowed on this list
>unemployed still

>I am a two time college dropout.
same. computer science and then history. six years wasted for something i was forced into. i never wanted to go off to college. i hated school in general and graduating high school felt like shackles being broken. my parents, peers, everyone virtually forced me off to college and it was an absolute waste. i wasn't ready to begin with. highly immature. i mean come on i was 18 fucking years old. all i wanted to do was get high, work on my car, and play WoW.

i did work for a bit. worked for a local carpet cleaner. was actually pretty fun and far more enjoying than wasting away at college. but i ended up quitting because... i don't actually need to work for monies. i'm now a ~~neet~~, by choice. living off my comfy trust fund. i do stuff on the side though. i'll go around and hit up thrift stores and yard sales and find stuff to resale off of ebay and craigslist.

if i wanted to go back to school i could easily do it now. i'm far more mature and stable. but probably won't since college is a fucking waste. so many of my buddies from high school with their fancy bachelors working shit dead end jobs barely making two - four dollars more an hour than i was making cleaning carpets for a few years.

Same here man, good luck!

I´m studying Computer Science and it´s awful. I was brought into that career by a false motivation because i was and i am retarded. I´d probably end up killing myself, seriously.
I want to drop-out, go to another country and teach a language (i speak four) there. I don´t care about money, but it seems far-fetched

Reminder however that Maths graduates (such as myself) are autistic and would say yes to this poll even if they don't really do anything with it.

have fun making any lifelong intellectual contacts at autozone

I have a computer science degree, which I consider worthless. I know quite a few others who have one and think the same.

Nothing yet, have been considering going but I always hear such negative things about degrees.