Taking CS

>taking CS
>1st week they're like 40+ students
>3rd week
>only 14 students left
>3 of them look visibly stressed
>mfw
LMAO brainlets BTFO. What do normies think when they get into CS? A walk in the park?

You'll soon be one of the brainlet normies weeded out, user

a lot of people just look at "top bachelor degree salaries" and pick one at random

You're probably right desu

Why are you so mean? I saw the same thing happening but I'm math here. It just makes me feel so sad because I know all the shit I had to go through to even get in so for those people it must be devastating to have all that go to waste. And I remember in the first week I even started becoming friendly with some of them and by the next week they were gone like the wind. So sad.

I mean, you must be some kind of real anti-social psychopath to laugh at something like this. This is not reflecting well on CS fags. Are all CS fags this egocentric and socially autistic?

To be fair, you have to train a lot to get good at Counter Strike

CSfag here. Yeah it sucks that so many people go, but it's also great because people stop asking retarded questions, wasting so much time. Literally: "Can you apply this to CS:GO?" or stuff like the professor explaining a simple concept for the billionth time. And desu it makes you feel good to see people struggling with something that's now ez for you. It lets you know that either: a) you're smarter or b) your work has paid off.

Yeah it's the typical elitist STEM student, had a bunch when I was doing engineering.
It was sad though because you could tell doing engineering was the only thing they had going for them and they were mostly socially retarded.

It depends on the program, depends on the students. I don't think you can fault people for getting the wrong idea- most CS majors, if you're talking on a national scale, are brainlet as fuck. They can memorize, they can drill, but they don't actually have a grasp on novel logic or the means to take mechanisms learned in one subject and apply it to another- even often struggling with taking the same subject and applying mechanisms across projects if there are enough superficial differences.

Good programs don't settle for that shit, and require creativity and critical thinking, so the people who got the impression it would be like so many other programs that require just being an okay codemonkey aren't in the wrong for having taken that bet- better they drop out, than waste their time. That's not a bad move, is it?

>Are all CS fags this egocentric and socially autistic?
No, but a significant portion of them are. The rest are predominately composed of non-egocentric autists.
t. CS Fag and non-egocentric autist.

What's better?
a) "smart but underachieving"
b) brainlet but can memorize

Most courses filter a, not b

The "smart but underachieving" meme is a tough issue for me. On one level, it's something that people constantly complain about to stroke their ego and explain away their laziness. On another, I do think the higher and lower education systems in America don't promote meaningful rigor, only the shit that forces you to memorize, which to a person who is better at concepts and mechanics will be a huge turnoff in building work ethic, due to the pointlessness of it.

Is it for some nefarious goal of creating workers that can do semi-complex jobs without thinking too hard about their employers? Or am I tinfoiling too hard on that?

>He's not a business / computer science double major

How does it feel to be a mega brainlet? Must feel good, huh?

Huh, never thought about this actually. Seems like a good idea after about 5 seconds of thinking about it. Should I do it? Business is EZ af and I'm already a CS major.

Do I have any chance at teaching myself how to program?

If you have an IQ over 100, no
The hard part is actually doing and understanding it, instead of shitposting here all day long

Meant to say yes
Oh well

pic related.

>smart but underachieving
Please explain why the brainlet that puts effort in shouldn't be taken over the smart person who doesn't (and underachieves as a result).
If the smart person just puts the effort in, they would always do better than the brainlet (and if they don't, then either the brainlet is smart, or they are also a brainlet).

No you're not. Public education is based on the Prussian public school system which was designed to do just that.

If someone was smart they'd be smart enough to actually use their 140 IQ to realize that they should work hard to achieve the goals they have.

This is just typical normie brainlet bullshit.
>"Lol yea I could totally go to Harvard I just choose to go to a shitty community college"
>"I'm really gifted I just don't try at all lol"
>"I could have sex with any girl at the bar, I just choose to sit at home and masturbate to CP all day"

emacs lol

>Is it for some nefarious goal of creating workers that can do semi-complex jobs without thinking too hard about their employers? Or am I tinfoiling too hard on that?
It's not that a cabal of lizard people conspired to make people feel like shit. Supply is being tweaked to match demand based on what business tells the government.

>Math teacher says everyone in my class will be a failure in life
>Do my best to prove him wrong and get into the best uni in the country
>get depressed without money in one year

oh well, try again next year if I don't kill myself

You should have told your math teacher he is a failure for being a fucking math teacher.

if Veeky Forums was banned than we all would be working better. Memes are an addiction worse than than other. All I dream about are pics of tree frogs looking at me with a blank stare.

It's easier to teach by memorisation, and your teachers are just scraping by. Further, memorisation is very well tailored to the standardised testing (test if they memorised the things by having them write them down with trivial ease).

There's no conspiracy here, just humanity.

You're not going to see 100% turn out every week

Most people will show up on the 1st week then the attendance will dwindle

That drop does seem extreme though but I doubt more than half have left the class

It's not that rare, I started my cs classes with 50 and 1 year later we had just 15 and I dropped after that.

My uni was much more math focused than other CS courses tho, it probably disapointed a lot of people (incluiding me), all of ours electives were math based.

>My uni was much more math focused than other CS courses tho, it probably disapointed a lot of people (incluiding me), all of ours electives were math based.

If you're doing 'computer science', you better do a fucking shitload of mathematics.

History majors don’t.

Why waste your time on business when it's not even a real science?

I know but many cs courses are not straight up focused in being a researcher, my uni have top 2 math course in my country so they basically focus on using computer science for math research and they have basically no teacher with a computer sci bs.

but yes, I'm brainlet couldn't keep up working + full time course with hard math.

I am a CS graduate and working. You MUST love programming or you will HATE your job.
If you do not program for fun, then you will not learn enough to be a good programmer.

You might have a point if this was 1950 and undergrads were more than a glorified attendance and organizational skill check. Seriously the average undergrad probably has 20 hours of class a week on material that is spoon fed to you and some people still cant handle it.

depends in your contry I had class 36 hour of class weeks with 85% of minimum attendance, it feels fucking horrible even more if you have to work because when you come at home and need to study you're already tired and just want to sleep.

So true.

All the shitty useless calculus and analytical geometry is a very good way to weed out the weak minded.

some give up too easily, some try their best and it still isn't enough

>be pure math freshman, immatriculation ceremony
>sit next to some dude, he looks very intelligent and sophisticated
>says it's his second shot at pure math
>talks like it's almost impossible to complete the studies, tells me to brace myself and what not
>"it's a beautiful degree, but it really takes a lot of time to complete. every course twice in average. "
>3rd semester and dude already failed the "hard courses" like abstract algebra, walks around with eyes of a martyr
>4th semester, enter differential geometry, measure theory and complex analysis
>meet him a couple of times at exams, always fails
>never see him again

shit like that makes me feel extremely guilty for not studying my ass off everytime I have some free moment. there are actually people with big dreams of becoming mathematicians but simply without having what it takes.

I can relate to this way too much except switch pure math for theoretical physics.

I'm in a similar situation as you OP, albeit in my final year. Started at 60, now at 15.

My main complaint in my entire course is that I'm surrounded by all these elitist fucks and their circle jerk.

This^100

Being able to put in effort really isn't about intelligence, it's about habit, mental health and motivation.

Do Software Engineering or Computer Engineering if you don't want heavy mathematics.

>be me
>CS for a semester
>all the lecturers are elitist
>all the students that don't drop out/are there for the second time have adopted the elitist mentality
>it's all a big circle jerk around who actually KNOWS the content because the lecturers are too fucking retarded to logically explain the concepts to nonautists
>in other words they want to keep CS 'pure' by weeding out people who just want to learn and don't want to devote their every waking minute, just so their graduates are guaranteed to be worth something if they make it to the light at the end of the tunnel

>drop CS after a semester
>loved math/stats, did really well in those classes, would have loved programming if it was taught to me properly, but as explained; it wasn't
>trying to figure out what to do
>data science degree starts for the first time ever in the state
>a mix of math, stats and programming to pick value from data; create models, predictions, intelligent machines - sounds great
>enrol, get accepted, first semester is amazing
>they make a programming unit just for data science students where they take us through everything in Python and show the scientific applications of programming
>actually makes fucking sense, really enjoy myself
>keep enjoying my maths and stats, have a really good semester with like 9, 9, 7, 7

>second semester starts
>they've put DS students into a CS database unit, pretty much nothing has been changed so it's MEANT to cater to seasoned autists
>have to use VM's for our sql
>VM's don't work for first 6 weeks
>mid-semester test is entirely reliant on you interpreting a page of dot points about players, games, coaches, player statistics, game statistics, blah, blah into a coherent DB structure
>about 100x harder than the practice midsem
>if you fuck up the design everything else is pretty much impossible

>mfw I literally switched degrees to escape this shit and I'm thrown right back into the middle of it

I don't know why you would get into data science expecting to get away from computer science. For the most part, it is the same thing.

I could have sex with any girl at the bar.
I'm just smart enough to not want to go to prison.

I didn't expect to 'get away from it' per-say; completely at least. I know there's a bunnnch of overlap in content but I really just wanted to leave the environment that is the Computing Department at my Uni; if that makes sense.

Like as I mentioned there's an OOPD unit that's notoriously difficult in my Uni; instead of forcing the DS students to go through that pain they adapted it to use Python instead of Java; and focus more on the scientific/specifically DS applications that programming has - not the basics of computing. And after taking a unit that was so well thought out like that I didn't expect to just get thrown back into a unit that has really given no thought to the few DS students.

I'm really just salty after getting fucked in the midsem after spending like days studying - all because the design part was completely fucked compared to the practice test we had to work with.

>people stop asking retarded questions
When does this happen? I'm in my third year and my professors STILL waste so much time trying to answer simple questions from brainlets.

What country are you in? Maybe it's just my course or some shit but people rarely ask questions - in the lectures at least. And then you don't hear toooo many dumb questions in workshops/labs, mostly just people trying to wrap their head around shit so they don't fail.

But think about all the money you'll make! XD

(Capitalists are cancer)

Yup. My experience is that most computer science majors are autistic assholes. I know maybe 2 people who are actually pleasant to be around because they aren't bitter about how they don't get any pussy and dont compensate for said lack of pussy by pretending to be smarter than everyone else.

U.S., but I think I just have a special case. There are two specific students who have somehow stuck around who make every class hell. One of them asks a question after nearly every fucking sentence the professor speaks. And they're always stupid questions like "wait! I didn't get that! Can you explain it again?" It is only a matter of time until a professor punches his damn face.
What I'd really like to know is why these people haven't dropped out yet.

I actually started liking math way more now, it wasn't just the math which made me drop, I was having a hard time living far way from family without much money.
Computer Engineering has more math than CS in my country since they have to met some requirements to be called "Engineers" and Software Engineering is still a new thing so only a few universities offer it.

But this elitist mentality people in cs courses have almost make me want to switch careers, I even started enjoying more math now but i'm too much of brainlet for math sadly, so i'm still thinking what to do.