Anyone here study Geology? What's it like and is it comfy? What are field trips like...

Anyone here study Geology? What's it like and is it comfy? What are field trips like? Are fellow students only doing it for the fat paycheck or are they doing it because they like the subject?

I'm doing Computer Science right now and I'm seriously considering dropping out and reapplying for Geology. A lot of the people here don't give a shit and are just in it for the money. Also it's kinda easy if you have a strong maths background (which I do).

anyone transplain the lighterkek?

imo what you do depends on a few things, how far are you through a CS degree? and could you do a double major? another thing to consider would be finishing your CS degree, then doing a masters in some geological science degree (or something like geodesy / geomatics / whatever). pretty niche but software dev in gis / remote sensing is really cool imo

according to google translate it means Our maiden is unbeaten and we do not give. After googling it in cyrillic though, it lead me to a website that translated it as our motto is unbeatable-we will excite and we will not give. I couldn't find the context which would make this meaningful to me though

I'm 1 week into CS, been having doubts for months though. No chance of double majoring because I'm in the UK. I'd finish this year and then go somewhere else for geology. Uni is only 3 years here so in total it would be 4 years which is the same as America so it's not so bad.

Year 1 compsci will teach me programming and logic, the former is definitely useful in geology afaik.

PLEASE

we need more people with comp sci knowledge and geology is the comfiest major.

There are usually 3 types of geologist:
>people doin it for environment (cucks)
>people doin it for Petro dollars
>people doin it for the love of rock science

all three types of people are still chill as fuck tho and its the most bro-tier science. in my expirience, most teachers genuinely want you to learn.
Dont fall for the "rocks for jocks" meme tho, it aint easy if you are serious about it and actually go in depth with it.
But if you apply yourself and try it aint that hard cause they arent trying to weed people out with artificial difficulty.

Geology uses a lot of spatial thinking and being able to understand complicated concepts in a visual manner, but also being able to translate that vision into words and numbers.

I fucking love geology and the majority of geology grads are transfer students who started out with an engineering/other science.

But be-fucking-ware: a Master's degree or better is mandatory, otherwise your degree means fucking nothing to employers. So plan for an MS for private industry/environmental or PhD if you want to go into academia/research.

The only people who complain about not having jobs are the ones who only have a bachelor's.

"Excite" as in "make horny". "Give" as in "put out". So it basically says she's the kind of bitch to lead guys on and then back out.

that girl is beyond qt

If you go and ask now, your uni might let you change this year, since it's only been a week. You'll have to provide a good case tho especially as you'll probably have to convince both departments.

Geology departments specialize in stealing students from other departments

OP shouldn't be too worried about it being difficult

At my Uni I literally just had to go to my advisor and a geology advisor and have em sign a paper for me, then hand it in to an office. Took about a week and that was moving from the engineering department to the arts/sciences department.

>liking girls who reek of tobacco
degenerate

I don't really like the uni I'm at and its geology department isn't very strong. I'd rather wait a year and go to the place I want to.

Do you want to know who she is?

Did geology for the money and just like anal I learned to love it.

Post rare Kseniyas

Our unbeatable motto is arouse and not give out.

I can't decide between studying bsc geology, msc geoscience, and then a PhD or studying engineering (most likely petroleum). I'll be going to the university of Aberdeen, where the petroleum industry in the UK is based.

Sounds cliche, but do what you WANT to do right now. You have no idea what you want to do 7 years in the future. As I said, I plan on doing law right now so for the next 3-4 years I want to do what I want to do rather than whatever would prepare me best for law.

Jet beams can't steel molten maymays

taking a geo 101 class right now and honestly the hardest thing is identifying how many planes of cleavage a mineral has

Choose a specialty asap

What is that supposed to mean?

Our motto is unbeatable,
we excite and don't put out.
>It all rhymes.

i don't know much specifically with geology, but the advice the Remote Sensing and GIS profs here have is that you need to have a supporting skillset or specialty to be employable or succeed in academia in grad school (ex, hydrology, programming, etc). as a first year maybe you don't need to sweat it too much but think about it. what sort of shit do you want to do with geology in specific? sorry to keep shilling CS but even as a minor it could be valuable for programming and generalized problem solving

I see. I'm not bothered about employment or research prospects for the next 20 years since I plan on studying Law. As a second career later in life (40+) once I'm bored with law, I think something Geology related would be really nice, at which point I'd obtain the necessary graduate qualifications. I don't want to think that far ahead right now though. All I want for the next 4 years is a course that I really enjoy at a university that I like and can be proud to tell people I go to.

Sounds like you need lab aids.

this post is a little misleading

You do want to specialize in gradschool, but you dont need to do it until gradschool. go through undergrad with a completely open mind and curiosity. once you graduate you will have a much better understanding of what you enjoy and want to spend more time studying. THEN you decide an area of interest that you will focus on in grad school before you apply. With your area of interest you then find professors at grad schools who's specialty and research is similar to what you want to do. Then you reach out to them before applying to their grad program, cause if they really like you, they can get u in and ur golden. Otherwise just be careful what colleges specialize in what topics and apply to the right grad school for your research interest and have good GRE scores.

tl;dr you'll figure out what u like by the end of undergrad, dont feel pressured into anything yet.

i agree, but specializing early is important if you don't want to go to gradschool (some undergraduate programs are built this way), and if that's the case having an idea of what you want out of your degree is important (especially if it's in a competitive field). it's not something you need to worry too much about now, but it's worth thinking about in earnest by third and fourth year. If you can build relationships with profs with similar interests while in undergrad, it's a good head start and certainly helps the grad process.

I see, I missed the Law bit. But wouldn't it make sense to take some Law courses to see if it's something you actually like and want to do? Law is also super competitive but that shouldn't deter you necessarily. Who knows, it's hard to plot out a future so far in advance, maybe you'll love geology

Hol up, hol up. Don't change your game son.

You're a brainlet if you can't handle undergraduate coding. Geology is massively easy by comparison, at the undergraduate level. It's basically Biology tier without silly Latin animal names.

Now globally there's an oversupply of geology graduates stemming from the hydrocarbon downturn (since 2012, starting with collapse of Australia coal exploration). The only Geo jobs going are mudlogging for rigs and environmental consultancy (which requires a Master's to make decent pay).

Many Geo kids are going into non-Geo role like GIS or Environmental Monitoring. The big money days of 'fly in- fly out', for graduate geologists are done. Until the REE crisis starts, that's the trend. An oversupply of Geology majors as it's easy to do.

Meanwhile, industry is screaming for software engineers, DBAs, even backend pleb web developers. Good coin, good conditions, people hunt you down.

If you're okay with coding, stick with it. If not, don't load up on debt with a Geology degree. Get better at code or pick up a technical trade if you want to get in on mining.

t. Geology graduate, ex underground coal logger, working as a GIS dev and SQL DBA.

Appreciate the thought out response, but as I said, I plan on studying law so I'm not choosing an undergraduate degree with the intention of looking for a geology related job at the end.

Money isn't an issue either since I've made $$$$$$ on crypto.

This whole thread was just to ask what people thought of the subject itself without bringing money into the discussion. Guess I was naive to think that was possible.

Current Junior here at a state school. The department is very comfy and casual. One of the professors reeks of weed and wears grateful dead shirts every day. We have recruiters from exxon and the like come by often. My advisor makes 80 grand and travels constantly to wherever he is doing research. An undergrad degree doesn't guarantee big money. He's had students get swooped up by oil companies right after graduating though.

According to him, for whatever reason oil and gas have been turning towards taking on people with just bachelors.
I really just plan on going to grad school though.

Field trips are relaxed and comfy. Our final culminating field camp is no joke though from what I hear. You're on a tight schedule and have constant deadlines.

A lot of the higher level classes are almost trade like in nature which I like. For instance in seds I'm writing a report based off of erosion rates of a local creek that is oriented towards presenting to the state... notionally.... of course we're all lapring because we're just undergrads... but it seems very practical and useful.

You get a wide mix of people. Some of them are fat dino girls with zero skill who all cheat off each other. Others are double majored in chemical engineering and make me feel like a brainlet. Overall, people are friendly though.

I was never a rock collecting nerd when I was a kid, but I've really taken a liking to the material as I've taken more classes. It seems like a very enjoyable field.

If you have realistic expectations and aren't in it just for the money I think it's likely still a good field to go into.