I do code monkey junk and didn't go to uni...

I do code monkey junk and didn't go to uni. I left off at highschool calculus (which I forgot entirely or never learned well in the first place). Anything I can self-learn that can maybe apply to software that I can just spend 30-60 min on per day? I just want a hobby I can treat like sudoku.

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
coursera.org/learn/basic-modeling
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

inb4 some crypto-brainlet says category theory.

trigonometry/vectors/basic graph theory/differential equations if you want to do fancy graphical stuff

statistics/calculus/linear algebra for machine learning/finance/big data shiz

combinatorics/sorting algorithms/optimization theory/complexity theory etc if you want to create efficient code

are

Discrete mathematics

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

>graph theory
>fancy graphical shit

You should probably move graph theory into the efficient code part... I mean, that's going to be more useful than general combinatorics by far. And learning specifically sorting algorithms sounds fairly useless (outside of giving examples of certain algorithm design paradigms) given that every library has some O(nlogn) sorting algo already there, which you can just use as a black box to create other efficient algorithms on top of.

Learn abstract algebra, develop a CAS for groups, monoids, etc.

abstract algebra is a good start, no prerequisites and it really helps.

a simple example is that if some datastructure is a monoid (meaning it has an identity element and the operation is associative), you can easily parallelize it, or if it forms a group you can trivially implement an undo method by using the inverse elements. recognizing isomorphisms between structures can also allow you to rewrite code in more efficient ways in some cases, if you have a descrete zoom function you can sometimes use the isomorphism between (R,+) and (R,*) given by 1

can you provide an example of such a monoid data structure?

Same situation as you user, watching this thread out of interest.

a list with concatenation is a simple one, the empty list [] is the unit, and the operation [a,b] + ([c,d] + [e,f]) = ([a,b] + [c,d]) + [e,f] = [a,b,c,d,e,f] is associative. further if you force it to be a commutative monoid it becomes a multiset instead of a list, and if you then force the operation to be idempotent you get a set.

i was thinking something beyond list-like structures

trees where you can add 1 tree as a leaf to another are monoids, not a data structure but if you have a function/method whose domain and codomain are equal it may be a monoid, let F be a method returning a list from a number F(x) = [1,x] with the condition that the 1s collapse [1,1,x] = [1,x] the function then forms a monoid (called a monad) (this is a retarded useless example, but shows the idea)

error: F should take a list, not a number, but you can treat the number x as the list [x] and it works.

Hello Veeky Forums,
Just asking, what should I know before I join a CS course in uni ?
As in what are the prerequisites, etc.

Thanks

no

If its an intro course then you typically just need to know what a computer is

Sorry I meant a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science.

I would still argue that its the same prerequisite.

The birthday hat fits that perfectly.
This is a momentous occasion.

brit uni or american uni?
if american uni, nothing. if brit uni, do some discrete maths beforehand.

Try and pivot to data science. Start here.
coursera.org/learn/basic-modeling

Trig and linear algebra are probably the most important if you're coding anything that requires animation.