Mars Colony - How do you build one?

So lets say elon musk gets the BFR up and running and we get to mars and can transport cargo people and shit like that.

How does one go about creating a colony? Whats involved? Where do you chose to colonise?

Other urls found in this thread:

technetics.com/products/sealing-solutions/metal-seals/
nasa.gov/feature/nasa-roscosmos-sign-joint-statement-on-researching-exploring-deep-space
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station#International_co-operation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_Planitia
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I skimmed through a few of his presentations and he isn't really explaining how that goes down.

Any project management dudes got an idea about how to do this? Is this even feasible?

Also once the colony is operating what sort of things will people be doing? Like what occupation what will they be doing? What opportunities are their on mars?

Also elon stated you need to make rocket fuel out of the sheet ice on mars.

>mars colony

JELLO BABIES
JELLO BABIES
JELLO BABIES

>he isn't really explaining how that goes down.

I could have sworn he wasn't doing it but was offering the rides there instead?

>What sort of things will people be doing?

Basic living needs.

>Like what occupation what will they be doing?

Basic living needs.

>What opportunities are their on mars?

Opportunity based on what end? Money acquisition? What standard would it be built on? The only reason people will be going to make a colony is to....make a colony. There won't be anything else.

That'll be just fine if the jello babies never jave to experience earth level gravity.
It's easy, all you have to do according to musk is throw enough people and stuff at Mars until thing stick. It worked for the polynesians!

i'll fuck a jello girl

It doesn't work that way. You aren't just weaker. Your body simply doesn't develop correctly at all and you get all manner of other problems, if you survive.

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

PPE should be enforced in Veeky Forums

Point, evidence and explanation

All the degenerative diseases from micro gravity experiments by NASA. There's a point where those things will stop, but I really don't think it will be at 0.38g especially for human development. Gravity is responsible for a shit load of things from the cellular level up to how you look.

Ah, but Mars gravity is orders of magnitudes stronger than microgravity. Now certainly you can cite some experiments on development that have shown this if so many have been done?

Colonies are fairly simple. The biggest challenge in the immediate future is success of the Falcon Heavy and the initial launch of the BFR. The next challenge from there is building of the fuel extraction facility and refueling depot on Mars for the return of the BFR. After those stages are complete, then colonization plans can be considered. Both these will take at least ten years to succeed properly. This is enough time to figure out the logistics of colonization.

Just google, "nasa microgravity health" or "nasa microgravity embryo". I don't think you need further spoonfeeding.

we don't actually know the effects of LOW gravity on the human body for extended periods of time
We have been limited in what we could test, so All we know is full gravity and no gravity
It is estimates based on that no gravity that give us the jello baby meme

>No gravity = jello babies
>Mars gravity = ?
>Earth gravity = 'normal' babies

No gravity = no babies at all

>only reason people will be going to make a colony is to....make a colony
colonies are a large financial investment
quit being a faggot, colonies are a financial investment
if you want to make more you'll need to at least break even so you have the money to make another one

>what sort of things will people be doing?
Preparing to invade Earth

>Like what occupation what will they be doing?
Space marine

>What opportunities are their on mars?
The opportunity to invade Earth

elon just called and he said that aint gonna fuckin happen, but were sure as hell gonna make some videos and fake the damn project," i swear i heard a weird clicking and bogd laughing in th background bt interesing phone call aho

>colonies are a large financial investment

Yes, but there's no monetary payback at all. Off-world colonies are a money pit. There's no reason to send ore to Earth. There's no reason for a colony except to colonize and keep all the eggs from being in 1 basket. The best things you can get from stuff like this is all the new inventions that are made in order to do it. Just like the original space programs and all the tech made for those that we now use every day. There's no good payback for that for a single company or investor.

Send robots to build a dome around the diameter of Paris.

Fill dome with air

Send humans to live inside dome

Make a dome religion

Forget outside world

Declare independence from Earth

Die

it would probably be easier to start mining asteroids and building rotating habitats out of those than it would be to build a mars surface colony
all the material you need are in pathetically small gravity wells, and once you hollow out an asteroid or make a rotating habitat out of the metal mined
you could spin the thing and already have earth gravity to live in. plus its probably more energy efficient to get to an asteroid from LEO and back than it is to get from LEO to the surface of mars and back

That's not a citation asshole. In addition, MARS DOES NOT HAVE MICROGRAVITY!

>>what sort of things will people be doing
Maintaining hotels and houses for rich people
>> opportunities on Mars
Tourism and sovereignty for the exceptionally rich

it's closer to microgravity than earth gravity
when in doubt expect jello babies

So nobody has thought of mining? Then you could have manufacturing?

Also how are they going to provide the basics like water, air, power, food? How they going to ensure some asteroids don't just wreck the colony due to mars poor atmosphere?

Is the land even Arable?

I think elon is going to have to convert some of his fuel ships into basic cargo ships as well. I don't think he undertands the amount of stuff you need to live. OP's pic doesn't look like mars one it looks like a nice pretty city with heaps of shit.

That's literally what they're doing, sending cargo first

>sending cargo first

How are they doing it? Like are going to have landing pods with cargo and these things just parachute down? Are they going waste whole rockets just to sit their for the purposes of transporting cargo?

I want to get into the nitty gritty. How are they going to generate water? How will they deal with air? What about food production? Sanitation? How will they generate power?

What happens if a big storm hits the colony?

Watch the keynote

Mars doesn't have storms dude, it's not a movie

But lets say you find the mars version of uranium or whatever and it has properties that make it good for certain applications wanted on earth.

What if you send an archeologist and he digs up some ancient site or some shit that would be significant.

What if you find a gas that has good properties for applications on earth. You are already sending pay load rockets their you could fill it up with this gas and send it home.

that's inefficient, there would be no reason to send bulk raw materials back to the earths surface.
If anything you would bring them into space so you can run an economy off world

>Large global dust storms put enough dust in the air to completely cover the planet and block out the sun, but doing so ultimately dooms the storm itself.

That's not something to be laughed at it could block out comms between you and the BFR people doing work away from the colony etc etc... All the dust could wear away at the seals in the doors and air locks causing them to malfunction over time.

Look its ok if you cant answer these other questions.

ships are already going back an forth from earth the pay off may be worth it in the long run

maybe not bulk at first but a small container of gas or a new ore you found to be studied on earth because you don't have the facilities on mars

>wash airlock and seals with a damp cloth
>manufacture some more with Mars rubber

>implying a dust storm could mess up important things when you only have windows every two years

>what are orbital satellites

>Mars rubber
nigger i don't see and rubber trees or petroleum deposits there to synthesize into the shit

>wahhh why won't they spoonfeed me more!?

Read the search results and use your brain. If you love this shit so much why haven't you read all the cool shit like this about it or are you some grassroots paid shill for Mars? lol

It's just going to be O'Niell cylinders just on mars and the reason is to move people to mars and let the earth 'heal' while we are in space

why would even need to build them on mars, just build them in space.
they'll already spin so you'll have gravity, and you can get the resoruces from asteroids instead of having to land on planets and hauling it up into orbit

>seals with a damp cloth

Water is probably going to be pretty precious i dunno if you can just run a cloth in the sink and wash the door seals. Remember your doing all of this in your space suit.

>manufacture some more with Mars rubber
oh yeah i'll just nick off the rubber plantation out of town and get me some rubber and then go to my rubber door manufacturing plant and make a few more when they wear out

>what are orbital satellites
So we are going to be bringing satellites to mars now?

Seals could be soft metal like aluminum. Like a big pressure canner.

Then weight comes into play since your carting this from earth to mars

how malleable is aluminium could warp and or be dented if its too soft

It is the only long term solution. You don't even need soft metal, you can use other stuff, so long as the levering action to close it works properly.

technetics.com/products/sealing-solutions/metal-seals/

This isn't some sort of sci-fi thing or economic problem. We can blast anything we fucking want into space, no restrictions, when it comes to tossing shit on Mars. Get your head on straight, kid.

NASA will be transformed into regulatory organ and any attempts to colonize anything will grind to a halt unless "international".

I was thinking about the whole thing. Do you make a whole bunch of buildings connected by corridors or do you have everyone in their space suits constantly going in an and out of air locks

would they cheap out on building material because you can just build a space suit per person or make it more liveable by having corridoors connecting everything

>economic problem

what? thats the basis of the whole operation is that it is an economic problem.

Theirs only so much space on the cargo ships and yeah weight is a factor. They can only carry a certain amount of weight.

Yeah i see them becoming like OHS of space and will just shut down everything and demand ridiculous safety precautions because number 1. their jelly they aren't doing it themselves and 2. they are told by the higher ups that they don't want us going into space or colonising other planets.

>Any project management dudes got an idea about how to do this? Is this even feasible?
yes but SpaceX won't be doing any of it. it'd be NASA. they would never, ever allow some private company to send people and build a base on mars. That wouldn't be allowed. The government would shut it down fast and demand NASA involvement. This is what SpaceX will do anyway though. They would never have the ability to do this by themselves. They will use the BFR, that's it. SpaceX offers a transportation service, that's it. They aren't building a base. WAY, WAY too much shit goes into that to have just them do it. By the way, we won't have anything that looks lie that image in the OP until our grand childrens generation, after we're dead and EM is long gone.

NASA and Russia are planning on working together to make a moon-orbiting space station. The International Space Station...is...."international".

nasa.gov/feature/nasa-roscosmos-sign-joint-statement-on-researching-exploring-deep-space

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station#International_co-operation

No, it isn't. There's never going to be a financial return. That's not a problem when you are making a colony on another planet.

Are you 12?

>tfw your that guy who wears his space suit indoors all the time, just in case

>No, it isn't. There's never going to be a financial return. That's not a problem when you are making a colony on another planet.

Someone is paying for the colony. You have finite funds friend and yeah rich people will pay for tourism and then their will be flocks of scientists trying being paid by universities or other entities to study mars. Also mining companies will be interested in it so you will have all sorts of engineers.

I reckon every living station on mars will be bought and paid for probably by a lot of private entities.

I was just memeing.

There won't be any tourism trade. There will only be colonists. Mining won't produce anything to send back to Earth unless there's something in space that does not exist on Earth. The entire thing is a money pit. You really need to understand that. The only thing you can get out of it is the development of new technologies and that's done on Earth.

SLS will send the equipment to build it. Gotta do something with all the billions sunk in it after all.

>The only thing you can get out of it is the development of new technologies and that's done on Earth.

Your still on this shit, underneath the surface of mars may be worth worth mining.

Mar's gravity is only 38% that of Earth's, you absolutely need 100% to retain proper health. Even a fully-developed human (from Earth) will have big issues after a few years, even with regular activity designed to offset it. You might say well that's good, they'll evolve to account for it but it doesn't work that way. It is too different, too much to overcome. In reality, the only option is a "big spinning tube" that people live in (probably underground too), to emulate 1G. Only exiting it for a set work shift, managing the time spent outside of it to retain health.

>t. JELLO BRAIN

No, not at all. Economics and space do not work that way. If you find billions of tons of gold on Mars, it won't be worth anything at all. It is worth more on Mars than on Earth.

How does the air work?

Yeah what if you found some radioactive isotope though mate. Or gas or an artifact.

Important shit isn't always heavy.

Yes but someone on earth is paying for those rocket ships that are transporting everything to the colony. Now do you understand.

>artifact

You just invalidated every one of y our posts in this thread. This proves you are living in a carefully constructed fantasy about how the world works. Your views on economics, space travel, space colonization, everything hinged right on that single word. you know absolutely nothing at all and should stop posting on Veeky Forums. Go to instead.

You don't seem to understand. With no return on the investment, there is no economy. Economy is a 2-way thing, not a 1-way thing. A Mars colony is just an expense. The goal isn't to make money or form an Earth-space economy. The goal is to colonize Mars. Everyone knows this, but you it seems.

>their jelly
>saying it ironically
>implying they aren't shitting their pants at the risk of losing some or even all of them big gobment programs and creampies
How do you even justify a clusterfuck like that goldplated shuttle successor, and the proposed lunar orbit tincan (probably iss successor) when there's bfr flying around? I get it there will be heavy reliance on congressional district interests but even that has a limit... NASA better strap the belts cause there's going to be some serious financial turbulence in the coming years.

Has nasa done a shit ton of ground penetrating radar from the mars rover? Like mapped the whole planet? How can you conclusively say someone won't find something?

Yeah but your leaving out the chance something worth sending back on those rockets besides humans won't turn into something that could be economically viable and not weigh a lot.

Your discounting the geology of an entire planet.

Learn to fucking read you ginormous mongoloid: "Mining won't produce anything to send back to Earth unless there's something in space that does not exist on Earth."

Guess what? They are not planning on that happening.

Learn to not be a fuckwit. They won't have the facilities to study whatever anyone finds on mars so they will have to send shit back to earth for it to be studied even if they wanted to mine it for the mars colonies benefit.

See your thing is you've got this whole NASA colony mindset hurr no economic benefit to this its purely scientifict. Trust me they will be fucking mining on mars. Their will be geologists on mars if theirs a colony.

The same shit will happen on a lunar base.

I can't believe how retarded you are people will be paying to send those rockets to mars, investors, gubment, tax payers etc... The colony wont work without money.

Sure your whole interplanetary economy won't exist but if people stop paying to send shit to mars then its over.

HSF is utterly pointless and wasteful. Why send a human when you can do so much more with a rover?

You simply don't fucking understand because you can't wrap your brain around it. THERE IS NO ECONOMIC RETURN FROM SPACE PERIOD. You can't into economics at all.

>Sure your whole interplanetary economy won't exist but if people stop paying to send shit to mars then its over.

Which is why there's no economic problem with the extra weight of metal seals. There's.....no economy.

Whats the end goal of the colony brah? Just sit their and say hey we can survive in air locked chambers for 2 years then go home before we turn to jelly? No its to explore the fucking planet just like NASA is already trying to do and find shit that might be worth shit and maybe advance the whole human race. A long long long way down the track try and create an atmosphere and terraform the planet.

You bring up this notion hey its only use is technological development and we can do that on earth. In reality without the real challenges of existing out on mars and perfecting this technology, it wont happen unless the mars colony happens.

GET OFF ECONOMY I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU STUPID CUNT

I never said their would be a mars economy i said their would be people paying for this shit.

So yeah the cost of shit still comes into play which means weight comes into play.

The mars colony has to work like a self sustaining colony with its own economy.

How deep can the rover dig?

>Whats the end goal of the colony brah?

To spread human life off Earth. Are you brainlets this fucking dense?

Cost doesn't matter when there is no economic return. They do this as a donation to humanity even if some of them don't realize that.

I take joy in slipping people like you, and stealing the suit

its not an endless fucking donation you fucking retard

>To spread human life off Earth.

So like i said
>Just sit their and say hey we can survive in air locked chambers for 2 years then go home before we turn to jelly

Also when we sent ships from england to all parts of the world to colonise new continents it worked out and the gold got sent back.

I look forward to my mars gold bar.

>its not an endless fucking donation

That is it exactly.

>Also when we sent ships from england to all parts of the world to colonise new continents it worked out and the gold got sent back.

I can't believe you are this much of a fucking moron. LOL

Yeah its a poor analogy but i thought i'd piss you off with it.

>i thought i'd piss you off with it.

This is Veeky Forums. Where did you think you were?

Yeah thats why i think NASA will morph into space OHS to survive.

Why will NASA build anything when they can't even build rockets anymore?

Also trump said during the campaign he will compare what NASA comes up with, with what other companies can come up with and i expect this will extend to lunar bases or mars bases.

I don't think NASA is going to be the be all and end all for space shit anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first few missions were comprised mostly of NASA/government/SpaceX people who will set up the initial colony in a way that is similar to Antarctica stations. Follow up missions will probably continue to have a lot of NASA/government/SpaceX people, but will include others like colonists and wealthy tourists/adventurers.

NASA will probably end up creating competitions for commercial companies to create services and products for the colony, and any future colonists will do business with those companies. For example, we might see someone like Bigelow enter into a contract for habitats and if they win, then people on Mars would rent/buy space on those habitats. That provides incentives and income for businesses to develop things for Mars in areas where NASA and SpaceX won't.

>Where do you chose to colonise?
Places like Arcadia Planitia which are relatively flat and have good latitudes for launching spacecraft that will return to Earth.

They will because that's the US government.

ummm guys, this is sci not scifi channel. Unless your trying to get funding for your video project this thread isnt about real science in any way. Elon isnt going to mars, there are no real mars colonies planned or feasible. its a money scheme for sme, and a fantasy for possums

excuse me i'm trying to swindle billionaires and i want it to be as believable as possible

>gaining a whole planet
>no economic return

He's just a NASA shill.

I'm sure that they are glad that they got rid of the Shuttle already too, so they wouldn't have to justify the billions spent operating that boondoggle

>Places like Arcadia Planitia which are relatively flat and have good latitudes for launching spacecraft that will return to Earth.

Where do you get your ice from then for fuel? Is their ice under the surface?

>In a lot of the low areas of Arcadia, one finds grooves and sub-parallel ridges. These indicate movement of near surface materials and are similar to features on earth where near surface materials flow together very slowly as helped by the freezing and thawing of water located between ground layers. This supports the proposition of ground ice in the near surface of Mars in this area.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_Planitia

Seems like there is water ice near the surface.

apologies sir, carry on. just please for heavens sake make up a good new fake transportation device that doesnt require sending massive amounts of fuel and garbage into the atlantic, the manta rays are complaining

ok fair enough

I'm trying to make money here not save the planet naive.

the mantas came to me buddy, I didnt start that shit

>luddites are still shrieking NEVER EVER after 15 years
>despite all evidence to the contrary
I bet you lot are flat earthers too

Are you going to answer any of the questions mate?

They aren't going to be landing so far north in latitude, Mars rotates for free delta-v

Some place along the Valles Marineris seems most likely.

what questions? I just came in now to shitpost

Air, water, power, food, storms, meteroids, jelly, what the fuck are they going to do?