Dune

Why does everyone want to adapt this book to film and always fail miserably?

jodorowsky's dune sounded like it would have been a huge pile of shit to me.

I liked the idea of film that could take you on lsd trip

Lynchs Dune is good. Can a 'womanly fainting dramatic "always"' equal relatively 2?
>I am worthless nothing but for some reason I dont feel as such when I call things that are far from worthless nothing worthless nothing, and but so also too I read the books when I was young and noone had as genuine a relation to the material as me and my imagination and so any attempt by any number of geniuses would indubitably fall incredibly near incredulously short

>I can't stand that somebody disagrees with me, so in my mind I say that everyone who does is a worthless human being.

Are you kidding me, goy? That space-worm book sold millions, millions! Do you think you can stop us taking our cut? Ach!

like if you had anyting ti complain about

Because the good parts of the book are basically when the characters are being introspective, so many key plot points are gone through internally rather than through interactions between characters which is hard to translate to film effectively without a huge amount of plot reorganization and introduction of deus ex machina which angers fanboys.

It should be said that Frank Herbert actually liked the Lynch Dune. I think he understood better than most of his fans how difficult it is to give a 1:1 translation treatment to a work like Dune. I mean, it's pretty difficult to capture the entire political, ecological and spiritual system that Herbert explained in a visually compelling way in a film that is limited to 2 hours or less.

As far as everyone wanting to adapt it, we got that problem from Star Wars being so successful.

>Einstein was such a fucking retard

lmao how fuckign autistic are you? you're defending a movie that doesn't even exist dipshit. also learn how to write, your shit is totally incomprehensible

>>Einstein was such a fucking retard
in ways he was tho, allowing his peers to believe that space-time was an actual description of noumena or even phenomenon and not just a measure stick, smoking tobacco (which likely took years from him) instead of weed (which likely would have increased (at least towards his later years, obviously early years he didnt need any help) the gems of his output, and believe ing an (((Aether)))

Dune really isn't that good.

>you're defending a movie that doesn't even exist dipshit.
You saw the documentary (I didnt, I am just that aware)? It was planned to be like 13 hours long, and the documentary may have been as long as the feature film, and covered 13 hours worth of ideas?

>also learn how to write, your shit is totally incomprehensible
>be me
>be monkey
>pick up the dictionary
>fling shit and start screeching screeches which equal the sentiments; your shit is totally incomprehensible
To answer your first question; scale of 1-10, 1-100, or 1-1000?

fresh pasta, boys

what are you doing?

duhh durr, i'm mentally ill, time to go rambling on Veeky Forums

>It should be said that Frank Herbert actually liked the Lynch Dune

The story definitely deserves to be seen (on the big screen as is said), and Lynch truly did bring it to life. There are great Aesthetics, greatly memorable visions, colors, lighting, sets, costumes, casting choices... Its quite fucking good. The lynchian grotesquery disgusting bubble guy.

I hope the dweebs that complain about it do not do so because they wish it was more of a cookie cutter polished modern 'super hero' explosion explosion kiss HD explosion kiss close up ass explosion fuck guns guns car chase space ship chase light saber explosion boobs boobs boobs HD HD pew pew pew lens flare boobs lens flare HD at least darth maul was in it and was the best part pew pew

what arent you doing?

Look at me; im the user now

more like the Non

more like the Gnon

>duhh durr, i'm mentally ill
*This just in, there will be more news at 11, more at 11*

I love Lynch's movie until it glazes over half the book in like 20 minutes.

Not that guy but your posts are hardly intelligible. This is an honest observation.

>Not that guy but your posts are hardly intelligible. This is an honest observation.
good? for me? and you? I only post what is perfectly perfect to post, so everythings clear on my end

my respect for Charlotte Rampling increased:

'In order to insult Duke Leto, David Carradine, Rabban the Beast gets his army, the Algerian army, to pull down their pants in front of the palace and shit. So there's going to be a scene of 2,000 extras defecating at once. So here's Charlotte Rampling, she agrees to meet with Jodo, she gets the script, she reads the script, and she says, "I can't be in a movie where there's 2,000 extras defecating on screen!" '

www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowskys-dune-uncovered/16

tl;dr: jodo has a poo fetish.

>It should be said that Frank Herbert actually liked the Lynch Dune.

"Liked" is a strong word. he was too polite to say "that sub-plot with the voice-activated weapons is a piece of shit", so instead he said "It's amazing to hear my lines of dialogue being read out on stage". the dude was a gentleman.

if you're going to say something like that, you have to back it up with something that you think IS good, so we can all dump on your pathetic choice.

let me guess, you're a fan of Awful Spot Tard's "Ender's Game"?

>tfw when the sci-fi series was seriously the best adaption made so far.

>Because the good parts of the book are basically when the characters are being introspective, so many key plot points are gone through internally rather than through interactions between characters which is hard to translate to film effectively without a huge amount of plot reorganization and introduction of deus ex machina which angers fanboys.
This, it's the same reason why they should have never tried Ender's Game

I do think Ender's Game is better. I dislike Dune for it's wooden characters, meandering plot, and lackluster ending. I think it was the time jump in k that really made me indifferent towards the book. In lieu of development, we were just told that Paul had developed.

Dump away.

That is one super happy looking Sandworm.

Because it's a shitty story.

Lynch's Dune was all right, although you could tell it was stiffed by producer meddling; the pacing of the last half is horrible. I wonder what a director's cut would have looked like, unfortunately Lynch has turned down every offer to make one.

> wooden characters
> weedy weaky set-upon boy hero
> angry bullying boy antagonist
> weedy weaky boy hero's weedy weeky friend
> weedy weaky boy hero's weedy weeky girl friend without benefits
> gruff, harsh but essentially good-natured older military figure
> billions of cardboard-cutout enemy insects that don't matter because, like, they're only insects

ring any bells?

>"that sub-plot with the voice-activated weapons is a piece of shit"
I admit that is retarded, and herbert should have been on set and coached Lynch a little better

>billions of cardboard-cutout enemy insects that don't matter because, like, they're only insects
How many billions of insects equal a worm?

if Frank Herbert had shown up on set and tried to advise Lynch on how to make a film, Lynch's eyes would have rolled so far back in his head he'd look like a slot machine lining up for the big payoff.

it's one of the things a writer has to deal with. hollywood may get hold of your baby and rape it to death and exhibit the corpse for profit.

.. the worms weren't the enemy in Dune. perhaps you shouldn't be chroming and posting at the same time.

You asked 2 questions, so let me split them:
>Why does everyone want to adapt this book to film
Because they think it will be artistically and financially successful

>and always fail miserably?
Because Dune is a poorly-written mess of a book that can't survive exposure to a competent screenwriter

Fuck. It has been like 7 years since I saw that comic. . .

I think it may have been like a; "hes a creative genius... I think Im a creative genius...I dont just want to make a film that is idea for idea copying his work (as I am a idea writer my self, and I have faith in my talent and skills)... so hmm, this idea cant be wrong or bad...
Like Kubricks movies are based on books, but he would tweak some things, maybe add his own ideas... its just really difficult with forsight and vision, especially a young great artist (who needs to be nearly infinitely confident in themselves) who is given a bunch of money to make a movie, and yeah, insight, vision, forsight ""how many may think this is a dumb bad idea... am I even thinking of that... or did I just wake up from a dream and say... voice activated weapons... genius, that is how I can leave my own mark'''

Dune is introspective with lots of world-building, which makes it difficult to translate into film.

Hollywood sees the opportunity for $, but doesn't want to go to the lengths required to stay true to the book.

lynch's version works pretty well as a comedy

>It should be said that Frank Herbert actually liked the Lynch Dune.
Like he was going to bite the hand that fed him.

In any case, it's usually written into a production insider's contract that he's not allowed to criticise the results. It's probably why Lynch wanted him on set in the first place. Better to have him inside the tent pissing out, instead of outside pissing in.

Tits or GTFO.

Not that guy, but I didn't like Dune because of the pacing. Half the book is spent over a couple days, and then it starts randomly jumping by months at a time.

I'm a guy.
That is just a reaction image.

*kicks rocks and looks off into the open skied expanse distance at the horizon, sighs*

Not that guy.
Dune sucks.
Tissue-thin characters, stilted dialog, lousy pace, a plot so full of holes you can drive trucks through them, 80% padding, and all in a POS novel that is a thin veneer of SF over a lousy political screed.
>if you're going to say something like that, you have to back it up with something that you think IS good
That actually doesn't follow. But sure!
Against a Dark Background by Ian banks

here is a pretty girl for your trouble

looks like chinese sex doll

I wouldn't know

Adam's apple or GTFO.

Can't see it through the 5 chins and my neckbeard

>I dont just want to make a film that is idea for idea copying his work (as I am a idea writer my self, and I have faith in my talent and skills)...

i got the impression that's what jodorowsky was thinking. "i want to make a film about armies shitting on the ground, with cyborg dogs learning the history of the universe from a crucified robot, and the messiah being born from the union of a witch and an impotent castrated lord... but what if nobody wants to pay to see it? i know... i'll call it 'Dune' and get Frank Herbert's audience."

fucker could not admit that his ideas were shit, so he tried to paste his shit over the top of an existing, successful franchise and hope that we wouldn't notice.

That movie was a fucking meme. I remember Card saying he would never allow speaker for the dead to be filmed, but Idk why he let Enders game get filmed either. Books that show even a slight bit on introspection almost always turn out to be shitty movies.

I mean, the series was pretty messy, but the first book wasn't that poorly written

hold your breath and then spin around really rapidly for two minutes.

there you are. same effect.

> picks the worst of Banks' SF

wow, you must be lighting in a fist fight.

>, but Idk why he let Enders game get filmed either.

i'll give you a hint:

KA-CHING
that's right, the old jewish piano.

The worst of Banks' SF is still good, right?

Coincidence plot?
Check
Stilted dialog?
Check
Paper thin, unrealistic characters?
Check
Plot holes galore?
Check
60%-80% padding?
Check
Book one is a mess

mostly untrue but whatever because none of that is what makes or breaks a great SF anyway, kill yourself

a book can be mediocre in its prose and plot and still be the dankest science fiction

>a book can be mediocre in its prose and plot and still be the dankest science fiction
...which is why SF is a ghetto