Very funny. Which of you was this?

Very funny. Which of you was this?

reddit.com/r/books/comments/5y58ps/just_read_my_first_book_help/

>reading makes you intelligent
>knowing how to say your thoughts makes you intelligent

that warmed my heart

Surprised this dude is as literate as he seems, if this is any true. There's a good number of mess ups in the grammar...

>person finally finds a way to derive joy from literature after two decades of intellectual insecurity
Veeky Forums poster: lol good joke loser

>joy from literature

Thats a nice meme you have there

it's right there in the text, idiot
"I never knew...that I can actually love to read a story"

you may be even worse at reading than mr reddit guy who has only read one book in 22 years

>2 hours of cardio while "reading" a book
Let's all be honest, he is listening to audio books and calling it reading.

>conflating enjoyment of current cognition with transtemporal quality of a concept

I didn't do any such thing. Maybe you have some bizarrely specific understanding of the term joy because you've read too much lacan or you believe in god or something but no normal person thinks "transtemporal quality of a concept" when they think the word "joy"

>"transtemporal quality of a concept" when they think the word "joy"

Of course they do, just as you wouldn't associate chocking to death from petrol fumes a joyful experience just because you feel elated a little in the beginning.
The project of literature invariably leads to despair when enough time and serious consideration passes. Promoting someone to be reading as a good thing is either laughable or downright despicably cruel.

You have 10 seconds to articulate a fundamental difference between the two beyond "one for da eyes and one for da ears"

Cognition of abstract dvisible symbols allows more critical thought than experience of continuous phonetic noise

If you can't differentiate reading and listening you have severe mental problems.

>Of course they do, just as you wouldn't associate chocking to death from petrol fumes a joyful experience just because you feel elated a little in the beginning.
bad analogy: people do often feel joy from dying of suffocation, until they die, in which case they don't feel anything. In any case, this isn't what is occurring--you yourself say that it's the *project of literature* that invariably leads to despair. But the person in the image has not engaged in the "project of literature". They read one book. It's not the same thing.

PS: I won't be convinced by self-fulfilling prophecies like the idea that "serious consideration" of all kinds of topics results in despair. Because there's no well-defined meaning of what kind of consideration is "serious", all you have to do is just curtail what counts as such so that you end up right.

PPS: if you think literature is so bad then you shouldn't be posting here, it's only a damage to your health.

>your health.

lol
My interest in Literature isn't in my health, the nature of the inevitable despair of the project is outside language (just as all suffering can not be expressed in language). When I am idealistic I like to tell myself I am continue to engage out of a commitment towards my freedom. Really though I suspect I continue only because there is nothing to do in the pit but dig down further in a drive of self disdain masochism and boredom

Well that does make a lot more sense, I don't usually see people who feel a despair about life just because they read a lot of books. But I still think you're projecting--it's simply not true that everyone or even most people who read lots of books feel this kind of despair. I don't. And the majority of the people I know, including close friends (and thus people who I would have privileged access to the emotional states of), who read lots of books also don't feel this kind of despair.

No but I would argue you're still too early in the dialectic.
Perhaps you will be lucky like most and die before you reach far enough

I wish I was a Reddit person.

All i know is im thrusting my dick and nuts all over my apartment right now feeling nice

That seems unjustified. What information do you have about my intellectual development that would give you that kind of idea?

Oh no disrespect intended, its not about what you have done its about where you are.
Many great thinkers never managed to reach this point, at least authentically (emotionally in a simplistic sense)

what do you mean where I am? I feel the opposite way you know--I used to feel bad a lot of the time and it seemed to me that intellectual investigations only made this worse but then later my view changed. I'm not sure if I really think of things in a strictly dialectic sense now but it does feel to me that I've transcended despair in "that sort of way". But a dialectic that just oscillates back and forth seems like one where you can't really value one pole over the other in very rigorously so I'm not sure how you'd be able to manage a defense of what you're saying without some other additional (and pretty robust) premises.

sickness unto death?

Go ahead and read the works of Socrates, sophist.

Or how about you read the Iliad, just like you're not meant to?
wrong
useless

I think he's made his point.