Recent purchases thread

Recent purchases thread.

u jelly? edition

Whats that about
>and so we sat on our island and waited until ruskies did all the work

>how we tricked the russkies into doing the dirty work while we earn all the praise for it to this day

who the fuck praises the brits for anything?

Churchill should have more about WW2 to say than anyone. He'd been buttkissing Jews and fighting for Israel for decades before WW2.

He's the reason why the war hadn't ended sooner and directly responsible for the strength of communism that followed.

There exists no one man who effected more how the world turned out. He caused riots in the Middle East with how in bed he was with the Jews and set the entire tone for the next 80 years in the region.

>how we tricked the russkies into doing the dirty work while we earn all the praise for it to this day

Is this about WW2 or the coalitions against Napoleon?

From the last week and a half or so

>6 volumes of brit wankery
>fucking folio society
Just how much money did you waste for that crap?

80 eurodollars
Got it used in very good condition.

I have 50s prints with the dust covers

i bought them for 4 dollars at a yard sale. so "no"

>liking what I don't like

Marlborough is my favorite. Still need some of his early works in pre-1930s hardcover, but ill buy them one day.

>La Pléiade
>paying money for paper this shit

Does Churchill write the way LindyBeige sounds?

Good find.
I go to book flea markets a few times a year but rarely discover anything of value.

He writes in a non-academic, impersonal narrative, although with authority.

So his works are very accessible, but also very dense and well researched. Marlborough even has some Romantic, or maybe even neo-classical (latin) prose, like when Cato denounces immorality or praises virtuous ancestors.

I have a lot of luck in estate sales and when i go to "old" vacation spots like lower cape cod, and go to antique stores.

Just last year I found an 1854 multivolume Longfellow in gold trim for 20 dollars in a NH antique store.

You're going to be disappointed, OP.

I was expecting the definitive history of the war. Instead I got a six-volume exercise in self-promotion and arse-covering.

go back to youtube

How could you have expected else?

>book by a political leader
>expecting anything different

> Soviets conquer most of Eastern and Central Europe and hold it for the next 50 years
>"tricked"

Because Churchill did have some credibility as a historian at the time.

>He's the reason why the war hadn't ended sooner and directly responsible for the strength of communism that followed.
yeah, but not because he liked jews- because he loved war.

*tips baseball cap*

>churchill
>any credibility
>concerning anything
>ever

Nice to know I'm not the only wayward reader-- like the Berkeley as if snuck in beneath the Teilhard up top. No doubt thou hast a secret program. Most wayward readers do..

What should I read first?

Here's my ThriftBooks haul from yesterday, ~$36 total. Most expensive was Hiroshige's Shoal of Fishes at $9, but I'm trying to complete the set. Only need Utamaro's Songs of the Garden now.

>tfw can't read books if they aren't classic or about ancient history or mythology

help me get out of this cycle, lit. I can't stand any literature later than 1800.

All my reading I do on my ipad mini. I have not bought a paper book in 3 years.

Just read some John Green, Steven King, and Bob Dylan if you want some modern lit classics.

truly eric

McElroy is the best Veeky Forumscore author

>Al Gore
fucking kek that was a much needed laugh

Hi fellas

Hehe

>what is battle of britain

Nothing of value was lost. The only mistake was splitting Germany. Hitler cucked his nation into oblivion by losing.

T. Butt blasted Arab.

>that enneads
Hnnng where and how

That book was high on my wish list for so long then one day there it is on the shelf of my local used bookstore. Got it for ten bucks in perfect condition

Hamlet is the obvious choice but that Hesse is really good
The writing is clean and beautiful and the story has a fairytale-, fable-like, or mythological touch to it as expected from the title while also playing with those expectations. I hope I don't spoil it but there's a nice reversal near the end that really shifts the focus of the story from Narcissus to Goldmund even though most of it is concerned with the lewd exploits of Narcissus.

Pretty good, but the older RSV NOAB is better.

Good boy!

Hamlet, my manlet. It's short enough to be read in a day and it's absolutely essential for a reason.

Austerlitz is quite good, but I feel the strongest part of the novel is the examination of his childhood and the beginning in general, and that the rest is a significant degree less interesting and more stereotypical.

it's fucking nothing?