Who else is /mathlet _in_STEM/?

Who else is /mathlet _in_STEM/?

How are you guys doing it? I feel like dying.
My brain is great at memorizing stuff but I feel like the deeper I go into STEM, the more useless this ability becomes.

Anyone can relate?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/YWjvHk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I can understand, op
>be physics
>spend hours agonizing over electrostatics problem
>turns out I was supposed to do a bunch of hocus pocus horseshit where you factor a term out in a way that makes the function more complex then take a fucking Taylor expansion of the mess you were left with
I have never correctly realized on my own when I need to take a goddamn Taylor expansion. I'm also in QM1 this semester and can't stand the way that 98% of everything in the class is just endless lin alg trickery.
In general I spend hours on my homework every day trying to do things on my own, realize when I don't get a coherent answer that I set it up all wrong, and just have to work through things with my hand being held by my smarter friends. I'm not gonna make it, I don't belong here

I feel you. Plus, in contrast to high school, increasing the amount of hours spent studying kinda seems to not help as much as it used to.

nice blog, where's the topic?

I'm not looking for advice. I wanted to discuss an issue concerning learning and studying Mathematics.
Just because very few people answered, doesn't mean it's a blog either.

I had to relearn Math from the very elementary level to get going into Physics, but it was worth it

I'm study math at univ. I wish I had your memorization skills user. I'm literally under average when it comes to my memory, I'm even worried there might be something pathologically wrong with it.

How long did it take?

Math is more about understanding than memorization.

I'm kinda new to this so I don't know what a mathlet is, but I'm taking the most advanced math class possible at my school right now (which is just calculus) and honestly I have no idea if I'm actually good at math or not I cant do mental math worth shit, and somehow a psychologist said I have discalculia after IQ testing me and running other test, yet I still get an A to B average in Maths... WTF?

School or university?

Because I feel like the harder the subjects become, the more you will realize whether you are good at *understanding* (not memorizing) logical concepts or not.

If you don't have trouble understanding them, then you are good at math IMHO

I definitely agree but memory is extremely useful, both working and non-working memory.
Imagine you're very studious and you remember pretty much every problem you've ever solved.
Math a lot of times is about reducing a new problem into one you've solved previously. Can you see the speed, ease and comfort that a great memory gives you? It'd make you look like a genius solving making you able to solving very hard problems effortlessly sometimes.

>Keep forgetting that I can use things from one branch of math in another if the axioms are fine

This is suffering

I'm the opposite, destroy things like chemistry and maths. But memorisation and I are at odds. Sometimes get the feeling my brain actively avoids it.

I can't into bio, even tho I'm a medfag

Excuse my ignorance but isn't bio the most memorization intensive of the stem courses?

read it again, thats what he means. hes shit at memorization so he cant do biology because bio is memory intensive

So much this

And it bothers me that I just can't seem to connect them.

>3.9 GPA in maths
I don't even think I understand maths if i'm honest. I take what the lecturer says as automatic fact and filter out all the derivation and first principles stuff. I still know how to do problems though. For example, i don't "understand" the advection equation or the method of characteristics but i can still solve problems with either. If you've seen the problems before its just replacing some numbers with others, and if you haven't then you extrapolate from the method you do know, it's usually not a big step.

I am doing applied maths though. Got a B in my one pure maths unit and deserved it lmao

discord.gg/YWjvHk

come join a good discord server, lads

Not a brainlet but I enjoyed watching premeds struggle to solve problems in organic chemistry and blaming it on the course being a memorization gauntlet when its super easy if you understand and connect just a few fundamentally aspects of chemistry and molecular orbitals and atomic structure.

I literally have no comprehension of physics. I cant solve word problems I've never seen before. I have a B+ in phys 1 because my brain is pretty efficient at memorizing previous problems we solved in class and how to 'reverse engineer' problems that are similar on exams.

But I LITERALLY have no fucking clue how momentum, energy, or forces work. Fucking zero.