All you idiots riding Elon Musk's dick do realize that colonising Mars will create an entirelynew species of humans...

All you idiots riding Elon Musk's dick do realize that colonising Mars will create an entirelynew species of humans that will be tall and lanky as fuck but would be crushed by the higher gravity on Earth, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

calctool.org/CALC/phys/newtonian/centrifugal
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We can breed them with (wo)manlets to create normal people

>breeding with aliens

Disgusting.

>breeding with manlets

Nobody actually has that opinion.

And what's wrong with this? Who cares if we have races of humans unable to return to Earth - it's far better for our species to spread out, to scatter.

They would probably no longer even be human

literally what. lower gravity doesn't affect genes

>different environments don't affect evolution
woke

not if we simulate higher gravity levels in the buildings, and do rigourous excersise

How exactly would you simulate gravity in a building on a planet?

t.lamarck

The lessened gravity can be engineered around using rotating angled rings. Or if humans weren’t a bunch of pussies we would just let it happen. Maybe a side effect of evolution in low gravity is super intelligence. We will never know if we dont stop worrying about being the same species of monkey.

Centrifugal force(yes its fictitious fuck off) and gravity are literally indistinguishable from eachother if you apply the rotation properly. Its literally just a version of the wheel with angled walls. Gravity simulated, brainlet.

>what is adaptation

In the vaccuum of space a rotating habitat is doable for sure and in fact a great idea, but the kind of size you would need for an proper habitat would be fucking hard to build on a planet surface with existing gravity.

Unless you want to live in tiny spinning habitats and throwing up constantly, your ring needs to be kilometers in diameter.

>your ring needs to be kilometers in diameter
No shit? What part of this are you having problems understanding?

The materials to create that inside a gravity field simply do not exist. Can you even imagine the kind of forces exerted by such a structure?

Yes, the forces would be equivalent to exactly 1G if executed properly. Thats kind of the goal isnt it? Are you talking about weight? I would refer you to the golden gate bridge, which has to support retarded amounts of weight at two points. Supporting 50X the wieght across a kilometers wide ring is childs play in comparison as far as material engineering goes.

The problem isn't just supporting the weight, it's the fact that all that tremendous weight has to ROTATE. That is an obscenely difficult engineering problem and even a small fuck up will cause the whole structure to destabilize catastrophically and kill every person inside.

Mars is a retarded pipe dream anyway. It would be far easier and better to make asteroid habitats by nuking out a cavern inside and rotating it with pusher plates and nuclear pellets.

>has to ROTATE
It would be like if the materials keeping the bridge up were being acted on by constant -2G forces.

This will only happen with a high infant or childhood mortality rate where adaptations to the environment will give a higher chance of surviving long enough to procreate.
Since the man made environment created by Terrans to survive on mars will be designed to cater for Terrans it is unlikely that evolution will favour adaptations in Martians.

Not me
>what are pneumatic cushions, maglev, or even just fucking buoyant forces over water
Its really not a tough engineering problem. The easiest solution would be to melt the ice that’s readily abundant on mars, make a circular pool, float your ring on that and center it with a magnet. It wouldnt even require much maintenance because there is no more friction acting on it than the hull of a boat. Lets recap, so far the goal posts have moved from:
>how do you simulate gravity
Easy
>materials strong enough dont exist
wrong, its a large weight sure but its a nearly equally latge surface area to support said weight
>it has to rotate, engineering it would be impossible
wrong again

I can do this all day but im going to bed. Just work real hard to come up with some other completely unfounded refutation and i will destroy it in the morning.

dude id fuck an asari so fast you dont even know

just like that ray bradbury story

>korean model
>inane post

every time lol

Nigga I'm a genetic engineering god and we're gonna save the day

Colonizing Mars right now is such a fucking pointless idea. Any thinking person can see that.

Pointless for mankind as a whole? Sure i will give you that. Pointless for Elon Musk? Not by a long shot. By landing humans on Mars Elon will not only get his name into history books, he will instantly have a monopoly on an entire(iron rich) planet worth of resources and the transportation to/from said planet. Mars is going to make Elon the worlds first trillionaire one day in the distant future.

Is that even the consenus? In (hard) scifi they can be this or basically born culturists (see Kim Stanley Robinson).

I guess, not having grown anything in lower gravity, we can only make guesses.

>not fucking quarians
pleb

Elon is 46, so he better get moving real fucking quick.

And his stated primary objective is establishing a second viable population of humans in case something fries Earth.

>entirely new species of humans
go home /pol/ yer drunk
No wonder you're confused about race, you don't even know what a species is.

>>what is adaptation
In order for this to happen, certain people would have to be more likely to survive to adulthood and reproduce successfully in the low-g environment.
Given the amount of help people already get from modern medicine, I doubt there would be much adaptation.

>your ring needs to be kilometers in diameter.
Hell no.
I'm just a code monkey, maybe I'm doing this wrong, but here goes...
Mars gravity is 0.378g.
If you spin a centrifuge so it produces 0.9258g outwards, the vector sum should be 1g.
The "floor" would be nearly vertical.
OK. wiring and plumbing might be a problem, but size isn't.
A centrifuge 200m in diameter would only need to spin at 2.88 rpm to work.
100 meters, 4.07 rpm.
50 meters, 5.76 rpm.
The world's largest carousel is 80' in diameter, and would have to spin at about 8.25 rpm to do the trick, one rotation every 7.27 seconds.
source: calctool.org/CALC/phys/newtonian/centrifugal
In reality, they'd probably just live in the low gravity and make do with exercise (or maybe not).
People already spend months in microgravity and don't worry about the consequences too much.

It doesnt matter what his primary objective is. Being the only person on the planet capable of something is a very lucrative position.

The question being discussed was what was the point.

It's a moot point. We'll never get to Mars.

you called?

>it's far better for our species to spread out, to scatter.

Why would this be better?

Well, in about billion years, the Earth will be too hot to keep water in a liquid state. In another 4 billion, the sun will envelope the Earth as it goes giant. So if we want to live past those points, we'll have to figure it out anyways.

who the fuck is that

Within a billion years we'll be able to enlarge and speed up Earth's orbit no problem.

>All you idiots riding Elon Musk's dick do realise that colonising Mars is a empty promise by a guy who's worked out how to convert human aspiration into billions of dollars through government subsidised businesses.
Fixed that for you friend

idk

Best post in thread.

>I'm just a code monkey
into the trash it goes

but I don't want to live at 2.88rpm

>he doesn't enjoy rishathra

Or just put a train on a circular, angled track.

>brainlets ITT trying to make extra gravity
just wear heavy clothes lmao