Most overrated writer

Who is it?

me, my diary desu is so overrated

Dostoevsky

This book is absolute garbage feminist FILTH, Charles FUCK me in my dickens ass be damned!

This correct. Dickens is pure kitsch that needs to be forgotten

Philip Roth
A decent writer with waaaaay too many awards.

JK Rowling

George R.R. Martin. Not because he writes "genre fiction" or anything like that, but his series is yet another medieval fantasy book.

Compare that to Guy Gavriel Kay who writes historical/medieval fantasy, but branched out to write about Italy, Spain, the Byzantine Empire, and China instead of just fantasy England.

Or compare that to someone like China Mieville who writes "weird fiction" and takes full advantage of the fact that you can do whatever the fuck you want to do in a fantasy story.

i'm gonna beat a dead horse and say ayn rand. she's validated thousands of genuinely terrible people, writes poorly, and objectivism is literally the novelty t-shirt of philosophy

he never wrote tho desu

He never was as good as Tolstoy, desu

Dead wrong.

Upvoted!

Edith Wharton by a huge margin

Tolstoy is pretty much garbage. When one of your "masterpieces" is just a short story you wrote years prior fleshed out to 300 pages smashed up against a Madame Bovary ripoff with some other meaningless shit in between, things are not good for you.

Even the Death of Ivan Illyich isn't that great

Shakespeare
12 good plays out of 36 is a pretty poor average to be desu

I thought this after reading the plot against America, but then I read American Pastoral. Then I thought he deserves the Nobel.

Hemingway, by a large margin.

Anthony Trollope (Wrote fast and didn't give a shit.) and Alexander Dumas (Spoiler: he had a writing partner who wrote all his outlines before he came in and added in more detail and dialogue.)

Jean-Christophe Grangé

Hemingway. Fuck Hemingway.

finally someone who thinks just like me.

Vonnegut

D.H. Lawrence.

The man looked down in silence at the tense phallos, that did not change.--`Ay!' he said at last, in a little voice. `Ay ma lad! tha're theer right enough. Yi, tha mun rear thy head! Theer on thy own, eh? an' ta'es no count O' nob'dy! Tha ma'es nowt O' me, John Thomas. Art boss? of me? Eh well, tha're more cocky than me, an' tha says less. John Thomas! Dost want her? Dost want my lady Jane? Tha's dipped me in again, tha hast. Ay, an' tha comes up smilin'.--Ax 'er then! Ax lady Jane! Say: Lift up your heads, O ye gates, that the king of glory may come in. Ay, th' cheek on thee! Cunt, that's what tha're after. Tell lady Jane tha wants cunt. John Thomas, an' th' cunt O' lady Jane!--'

He's one of the greatest prose stylists of the english language. And BTW Bleak House was a favourite of both Kafka, Peake and Dostoevsky for a reason. A Mutual Friend is another example of his more gothic, ambiguous side.

This was 20x better than anything Herbert ever did

Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Charles Dickens. I don't want to read a fucking sitcom.

I think this is definetly the right answer, /r/books is simply a hemingway/vonnegut circlejerk.

shakespeare is fucking trash, good prose though

Goddamit who is good for u