Cheating in science

>tfw have 3 publications
>tfw faked results
>tfw no one will ever find out because of peer pressure - i.e.if some smart ass starts to investigate they'd be BTFO for being a whistleblower
>Have a comfy 110k job in industry

Why hasn't Veeky Forums taken the cheating redpill yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm a CS researcher and I have to say that some form of cheating is a standard practice in these circles. For example, if you develop an algorithm to some problem, and it turns out to be shit, you just cherry pick or synthetically generate such datasets that you get cool empirical results for publication.

Why work as a researcher if you aren't doing research? Also thanks for setting back your fields by either misleading others or polluting journals/conferences with your nonsense.

>muh sense of duty to future generations

all I care about is the present, not some distant future that I'm letting down when I would be long dead by then desu

Wait when you are the one getting fucked over by the future generations. Your tune will change.

>they'd be btfo for being a whistleblower
Wrong

Publishing in low impact journals is also standard practice in those circles, I'd imagine

Poltards go home.

How do you fake results? Whenever I have published something, I had a billion different people breathing down my back and asking me to present before them on every single little stupid detail in my methodology. If I lied about that, I'd get caught really quick.

>not some distant future that I'm letting down when I would be long dead by then desu

>implying anyone gives a shit about your shitty fake publication 6 months from now
>implying you're smart enough to produce something relevant in any field

Two possibilities, ordered by increasing probability:
1. they go to shit schools with shit advisors who don't care about their reputation
2. they're larping meme kiddies parroting the "crooked academia" meme so popular nowadays

Greg?

it'll fall apart as soon as you rely on data files from other organizations, like sequencing files or whatnot, but if someone has control over experimental design and implementation they can do a lot. Put the wrong sample in a lane on a Western or don't put anything at all, spike PCR samples with the wrong templates, use the wrong organisms in your experiments... all of that would be incredibly hard to track down and would basically require complete replication to detect (which is how STAP got caught out)

Also lab culture has a lot to do with it. The people who falsify data usually come from labs where the atmosphere is toxic, usually because the PI is a slavedriver and demands consistent successful results around the clock.

I go to a top 10 uni and this happens all the time that everyone just sees it as normal

i go to a top 10 uni and it never happens so noone thinks its normal

Literally the worst kind of person possible

>Poltards go home
/Leftypol/ go home. Your divide and conquer tactics don't work with smart people.

And people wonder why the Chinese are hated. kys

Yep. Found this out by citing an article for my research project from pubmed of all places. The experimental results in the graphs were all fudged because the researchers knew what was going to happen (this was a paper that found DNA sequence of a virus that infects a fungus which infects a certain species of bats). Was absolute lols because the fake DNA sequence was just uploaded online for entire world to use and its just made up ATCGGAA rofl

>Tfw I made up the graphs for most of my dissertations in both bachelors and masters
>Tfw the Chinese foreign exchange students gave me the questions to one of the modules exams as the tutor for that exam was a Chinese professor

Greatest pill 2bh

That sounds quite depressing desu. Knowing that you weren't up to a task due to being lazy or a brainlet.

I didn't think it was possible to be this stupid.

He might've been published in a non-peer-reviewed journal.
aka Not affecting anyone because nobody gives a fuck.

Well I haven't because I'm not pathetic trash

But you'll never be loved like a good scientist because you've never produced anything valuable to anyone else, any brainlet contributes more than you do

>aiming to publish in top journals and whistleblowing academic dishonesty is a divisive leftist trait

It's Why Fields like Psychology are not a Science
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis

>fake some data from computational experiments for my master thesis
>theres no chance my prof would run my shitty algorithm run for a few days to verify my data
living the good life senpai

Love is an illusion like all other feelings. Disregard them all and achieve freedom in your life.

are you chinese by any chance?

I am going to hunt you down and discredit you

Wait you guys are just lying about this, right? But why would you go on an anonymous mongolian board and make up lies like this?

Some grad student is going to find out one day.

I'm a cancer researcher and have fudged numbers before. The end result was the department I work for getting way more funding. I wish I could say I feel guilty but I don't.

>write statistics based paper
>actual data is all over the place
>no conclusion to be drawn from anything
>topic is locked already in
>can't write anything about it
>just fake numbers to suit a made up conclusion
>cite actual sources
>nobody checks the data of the source, only that the source is trustworthy
>get an A

he sounds american

If I read you correctly you don't feel guilty because at least you managed to increase funding for cancer research, which is a good thing. Correct?

But user this means that the money you got for doing phony cancer research is not being granted to serious cancer researcher. In this sense the expected number of deaths due to cancer increased because of you. I'd say your doing the very opposite of helping ill people. You're making it worse. You should stop fake researching and do something productive instead.

Clearly your work hasn't been peer reviewed then, so it's basically worthless anyway.