What's the point of colonizing mars?

For colonist
>live in a tiny prison in a desert with no air

For rest of mankind
>invest hundreds of billions into something that gives you no benefit

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_on_Mars
theage.com.au/good-weekend/astronaut-scott-kelly-on-the-devastating-effects-of-a-year-in-space-20170922-gyn9iw.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oruanui_eruption
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Things that bugmen wouldn't understand general?

Satisfying the human desire for exploration and expansion

colonization is not related to exploration

its just an irl kerbal space program for elon nothing else imo

An opportunity to preserve humanity, both our existence of at least our history, should a disaster on earth threaten our extinction

Why would I care about the continuation of the species when I'm dead

>What's the point of X ?
Literally nothing. There is no point to any of it, we came into existence by chance and the universe will end some day.
Legacy? Building an empire? Advancing our species? None of that matters, it'll be all gone one day with nothing to observe the ruins.

Or you could just stop being an edgy 16yo nihilist.

Wouldn't investing in a moonbase be exponentially more beneficial? We'd be able to mine resources and it's much closer. On top of that the lower gravity and lack of a real atmosphere would allow us to launch rockets much more easily.

colonization gives the infrastructure you require for exploration

whynotboth.mexicanloli

How does colonizing inside the gravity well of mars help exploring

No way a mars colony could survive without earth

Mars has a lower gravity, so the well is not as bad
colonizing mars gives easy industrial access to it's moons, which can be mined to build the spaceport
that spaceport can be used as a stepping stone to the belt

>colonizing
>......Mars

JELLO BABIES!
JELLO BABIES!
JELLO BABIES!

>dat feel when you can literally take a shit anywhere and you'll be colonizing an entire planet and your progeny will inherit the planet for all eternity

Why not build a spaceport on its moons in the first place and forget the colonization?

Unplug yourself from the machine goy.

because that is for cucks and bitch boys that don't know how to have fun

In a big atomic bunker on earth you have way better chance to survive than on Mars.

O'Neil cylinders > everything else

Unless you happen to have a 1g planet with good temps and acidity.

>Unless you happen to have a 1g planet with good temps and acidity.
Coincidentally, we just happend to have that

Are you talking about Earth, because I'm not.

That's a ridiculous stereotype, insectoid or not asians deserve respect.

>no benefit
>having a backup home planet rich in elemental resources
You might be retarded. Even though Dyson swarm will make planets obsolete, there is still a benefit to having colonies planetside

Pretty sure earth meets your requirements

>having a backup home planet rich in elemental resources
backup for what?

long term it could pay off
Mars is rich in iron and this could be an opportunity to develop the sorts of technologies needed for reliable space travel and colonization. The first steps are the hardest.

How sulf-sustaining could that colony be, really? I read somewhere that if all of Earth's electricity was generated by solar panels, than 1% of Earth's fresh water supplies would have to be used for the production/recycling of solar panels. The article was in the context of dimishing water ressources, and why going full solar may be a bad idea.

However wouldn't that mean that Mars colony was already doomed? There is no way you have that much water on Mars to produce solar panels en masse.

Also, basically the production of almost everything needs vast amounts of water. No water = no industry. No industry = no way to be self-sustaining.

Mars is not very good for space travel, since it has a pretty deep gravity well. Moon (or moons of mars) are way better

not an initial colony but in the future there is no reason why a space colony cannot be self sustaining

and we wont get to that point unless we try

> What's the point of colonizing mars?
Step for Colonizing others stars in our galaxy.

Pic Related

> More than five million cubic kilometers of ice have been identified at or near the surface of modern Mars, enough to cover the whole planet to a depth of 35 meters (115 ft).[12] Even more ice is likely to be locked away in the deep subsurface.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_on_Mars

There is plenty of water on Mars.

Yeah we should start with the Moon so we can get good at traveling between objects in space

>and we wont get to that point unless we try
Or we could wait until, you know, technology for self stustaining colonies exist

>others stars
other* stars

I don't think a mars colony would be able to produce the solar panel by themselves.

agreed

Mars can not be colonized. Not without centrifuges to live in and that's retarded.

Cataclysm. Be it rogue AI, astronomical impact, total war, science gone wrong, it's never a bad idea to have an insurance policy.

Capitalists distracting stupid goyim with fantasy while they destroy Earth.

Colony on Mars will literally never happen.

Where the icewater is, there are no other ressources. Where the other ressources are, there is no icewater, at least not in large enough quantities.

The distance of hundreds to thousands of kilometres between these ressources is not exactly trivial. It is literally what makes it impossible to ever colonize Mars.

To make the supply chains work you would need 10 or maybe 100s of thousands of people living on Mars. But you don't have the ressources locally to supply such a big population. Note that on Mars every single inhabitant has a WAY bigger energy demand than on earth, while at the same time producing energy is much more difficult.

Thread is about colonizing other planets. Are you a complete moron? Yes, yes you are.

which one of those would be able to fuck up earth so it becomes less habitable than mars?

>not aware of the fusion-powered mass vapor desalination technology that we've been using for millenia
Kys

You need energy to turn ice into water. So if the process of heating the ice to make it melt, and keep it warm so it doesn't freeze again, consumes more energy than the solar panel would produce, than the whole process is basically pointless.

>Now Stormtroopers are even taking fucking selfies
Dear god end this hellish nightmare.

such technology wont invent itself on its own, so waiting is not good enough

we need to get out there and try to survive

>not aware that if there is ice, than literally that method is not working

Then better we invest in new technology instead of fruitless mars colony

Would it not be cheaper to take asteroids and colonize them for solid elemental resources in space? The moon itself has quite the gravity well.

Greenhouses and the sun, you moron.

have fun with your co2-ice, pal. the amounts of ice-water are much, much smaller.

Photographing something you want to show everyone

this

humans need gravity, here is a new article from Scott Kelly about effects of no gravity

theage.com.au/good-weekend/astronaut-scott-kelly-on-the-devastating-effects-of-a-year-in-space-20170922-gyn9iw.html

humans also need a fat layer of radiation shielding

these two constraints rule out both living on Moon/Mars and living in tin can space stations

it is becoming increasingly clear that in order to colonize space a rotating space station with several meters thick walls is required, anything less than that and people are not going to survive more than a few years

Isn't there liquid water in the soil, beneath the crusty exterior? I thought that was a major find of curiosity?

Moon has the benefit of beeing pretty close to earth while having only 1/6 of earths gravity

>Ill just use a greenhouse at -60°C lol what could possibly go wrong

t. brainlet

getting heat energy is as easy as using mirrors to concentrate sunlight

>have fun with your co2-ice, pal. the amounts of ice-water are much, much smaller.

nope, there is plenty of water ice as well as CO2 ice

Escapist fantasies. People think their problems will go away if they migrate somewhere else. Happens all the time.

With the proliferation of iShits and numales, there are now more photos with numales doing what females are doing in your image.

you literally cant produce enough heat this way even with 100m2 big mirror if temperatures are -60-100°C.

you certainly can produce enough heat to melt a lot of water and then it is only a matter of insulating the habitat to keep it warm

you seem to think people are going to live outside in -60 degrees, but any habitat is going to be underground and will have only small heat losses to replenish

Ambient temps are irrelevant when you have the power of the sun. I have a solar box cooker and I've baked bread in it, outside in winter when temps were -40F/-40C below 0. It hurt to breath the raw air. Keep in mind that is winter sun. The square area I was reflecting/using was only 16sq feet/1.48sq meters. That's just some tempered glass, spray paints, and cardboard. It wasn't even my best solar box cooker.

I'm quite certain NASA or SpaceX or who ever, can very easily make larger reflectors and better devices than I can. Alas, that is the least of their problems.

>pic semi-related

>planet without noteworthy atmosphere
>tons of micrometeorites
>LMAO GREENHOUSE
Greenhouses aren't an option on Mars, they're not an option on the Moon, they're not an option on Mercury and a bunch of other objects. Realistically in most cases you'll look at living at least 10 feet underground (also evens out the temperatures which on planets with little to no atmosphere can vary by up to 80 K between day and night on Moon and Mars and by up to 250 K between day and night on Mercury) and growing your crops in finely tuned artificial light.

Reminder to take a few /g/ents on Mars.

>planet without noteworthy atmosphere
>tons of micrometeorites

Mars has enough atmosphere to burn micrometeorites

However you are correct that there is no point in greenhouses

Greenhouses for space colonies were proposed before modern led lighting was developed

nowadays grower leds are very efficient and it does not take much electricity to grow a lot of food

so there is no point in building fragile greenhouses exposed to radiation, just build a a cozy underground farm with densely stacked levels of hydro/aeroponics and you are good to go

I hope most people fuck off and go being stupid on Mars. If they don't go there with being somekind of cyborg they gonna wake up in some bad reality...

For glory and future endevours in space!

You know what will happen. The planet will get colonized and you'll have these long drawn out shiposting sessions on Veeky Forums.

>For colonist
>live in a tiny prison in a desert with no air
All that and I get to help humanity achieve resilience against cataclysm, too? Sign me up!

>prison
It's all relative. What is a prison to you may give someone else the most real sense of freedom they've ever felt. You don't get to decide how everyone feels about everything.

>plan mission to live on mars for 18 months
>pick 8 boys 8 girls
>no gays because muh conservative
>6 month ride to mars
>18 months on the surface
>boy/girls in tight cramped co-ed quarters with northing to do and easily get bored

What is the probability of returning to Earth with 1 or more extra passengers ?
and should we send only men or only women or all gay crew to mars?

You are a moron. Also, jello babies wouldn't last long.

Quick reminder that traps can't get pregnant, and between them and women it's hard to say who's mentally less stable.

Because Mars can get terraformed in far future and when we finally finish with space lift there won't be such a problem to travel to mars and back. Since the planet is basically "fresh" there may be valuable ressources for us to find.
Maybe a lot of Uranium for nuclear power.

won't matter, spare planet.

an asteroid
Nuclear war

doesn't take all that much to purge most life for a few thousand years

>take hab
>rotate it
>now all babies are normal earth babies

Just build an O'Neil cylinder or similar in space them.

>actually believing that a species that can't even keep the climate change under two degrees can terraform a planet

>Mars
>terraforming

That would take about half million years before it'd be any good for humanity.

It is kind of hard to save a sinking ship when someone is poking holes in it. Going someplace else without someone poking holes in your shit is much easier, per se. Terraforming isn't one of those things though. You want all the hole punchers for something like that. It is not doable in humanity's time scale.

a hab on Mars itself will be needed for planetary exploitation
shuttling people to orbit and down again will get expensive as shit over time

robots can do it.

Why are people so interesting on going to mars for fun? I mean it might be cool for a month but it'll get boring. Nobody goes to vacation on a desert.

I really don't get this idea that nukes can exterminate the whole planet.

You'd need millions of them, because nuclear winter is a meme. Nuclear weapons don't actually dump that much ash into the atmosphere; they use airbursts, which lift barely any material. Further, humanity is pretty resilient, we could survive another ice age. So unless literally every square mile of earth's surface is covered by a nuclear fireball, humans will survive. There are simply too many of us, too spread out, and we're too ingenious.

Same issue with asteroids. There are a few big enough to kill everything, but we're tracking them and they're in very stable orbits nowhere near our own.

>Why are people so interesting on going to mars for fun? I mean it might be cool for a month but it'll get boring. Nobody goes to vacation on a desert.
I'm interested in it because I have muscular dystrophy and can't walk here on Earth. But I think I'll be able to in Mars's gravity. And even if I won't be able to walk, I'll be stronger than I am here.

>boring

Eh, that is subjective. I mean you are here shitposting on Veeky Forums. You could do that there too, just with more lag time. If you are doing actual work, it will be EXTREMELY MEANINGFUL & REWARDING WORK. When and if you come back, you have your pick of many things from pussy to book deals.

Mount St. Helens wasn't even one of the big eruptions and it was like the power of 1,600 Hiroshima nuclear bombs. It was a "Class 5" eruption. The highest, a "class 8" eruption would be like everyone launching all their nukes at once. It is like 1000 times more powerful than Mount St. Helens. But, then those bombs wouldn't hold up to that either if the eruption is longer than a few seconds. An 8 hasn't happened in a very long long time, not in recorded history, but there have been tons of them in the past. We are a bit overdue for one.

A class 8 eruption is possibly a civilization ender, but Earth will still be a far nicer place to live than Mars.

it's not a matter of being a nice place to live
it's a matter of making those civilization enders not end civilization

It exists.

Long term planning

Lots of our fancy shit requires rare earth metals. Once we use those up were kind of fucked. Fancy electronics become far harder to make at that point.

So getting shit from other places like mars is necessary. Building shit on mars may or may not be required depending on the logistical structure.

No, there's been a few close enough to humanity's time that you can see the effects and globally, it is easily survivable. Last one was 26,500 years ago:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oruanui_eruption

Of course, the classification stops at "8", but there have been 8s that were more like a 16.6. Like what is believed to happen 250mill years ago at Buchanan Lake.

So Elon Musk is a Nu-Male

Elon Musk ahead of Space X, does the same thing (Pic related)

At least you got the dubs on your second try.

>At least you got the dubs on your second try.
Yeah
I got the dubs so ...
it was worth it.

> When people are so frenzied over CO2 and overpopulation they think it'd be more efficient to fucking ship us all to different planet instead of fixing our own

Like for real, people actually think the Earth is so doomed that another planet would be easier to fix than our own. Like wat.

And you're right OP, going to Mars is some feel-good illogical retard plan and Elon Musk is the religion of science's new prophet.

Elon Musk showing Mars

C'mon, man, there's always room for Jello.