What has browsing Veeky Forums done for you?

I've been browsing Veeky Forums for a few years now, and I genuinely think that I've learned quite a lot about literature.

Moreover, I think I learned just as much as I would have if I studied English at university.

For instance, here, in Veeky Forums, you are exposed to all kinds of literature, from different writers in different countries to different eras and genres.

What I think is most important is that all kinds of differing opinions are discussed on here, which might not have been possible in a classroom setting.

Granted, Veeky Forums is not perfect, but still.

The alternative would have been going to university and being forced to endure an SJW environment and whatever your so-called professor demand of you.

Having gone to university myself, I know that the aforementioned is extremely plausible, considering that I even took a few English classes here and there.

So, Veeky Forums, what has browsing this board done for you?

It's an utter waste of time. I got some good reading recommendations when I first started coming here, but they typical user is a blithering idiot. If I could push a button and sterilize everyone who posts on this board, I would do so without hesitation.

Veeky Forums has made me hate Christians and Marxists more than I ever would have thought possible.

First it's a quick boost to ambition, but then before the action takes place it becomes a compulsive distraction.

I've read some really good books I would otherwise never had known about

Veeky Forums is shit most of the time, but every so often you find a recc for a book you won't ever forget, and that makes browsing worth it.

I can recognize most relevant philosophers by their pictures and know the general outline of their philosophies despite not having read almost any of them. Same for most authors of the Western canon and some others. I know more about Russian literature than any STEM undergrad has any business knowing. Veeky Forums kind of gave me the courage to ditch authors I was losing faith in the more I read their works and introduced me to more novels than I could count, it's really the only reason I'm still here. Veeky Forums also encouraged me to take on writers I thought were out of my league.
Veeky Forums has honesty influenced my literary pursuits by an immeasurable degree, and I do what I can to be a positive and productive influence around here.
you're all still a bunch of insufferable faggots though.

If you dig around, fight hard enough, and rake every single opinion and word if advice with a grain of salt, you can actually take away from the site. My writing has improved, albeit slowly, by really strong arming advice while not being afraid to fight for my opinions either. And some of the books posted here are actually good.

But this site ultimately took more from me than I took from it. I wasted more time than productively managing it. Even though I learned from this site, in the time it took to gain anything I would've been better off spending a few grand and going to school. I never had a net gain, just gains. Most people here are too young, or inept in their state of shut-in mentality, so finding actuality was like pulling teeth.

All-in-all, just leave this board and site. It's not worth it

t. Two years lit poster, ten years Veeky Forums lurker

>Moreover, I think I learned just as much as I would have if I studied English at university
you can't be serious

Youre too late, ive already reproduced

>implying you would have learned about the classics in college, where they condemn anything written by white males

sure

>they condemn anything written by white males
Such a myth. What do you think the feminist whining is in response to?

I am a STEM major. All of my English classes have been focused on demi is to cater to the 51% of the class that is female.

Sometimes a good recommendation. Sometimes a good point is being made.
Most of the time Western fanaticism ruining everything. This goes both for the left and the right.

What is the focus on, specifically? How does it cater to females?

Feminism* not demi on

Pretty much this.
I think that Veeky Forums is good for getting recommendations and guidance when you're just starting out but anything beyond that is pretty shitty. In fact, I think that this applies to every board on Veeky Forums.

>What has browsing Veeky Forums done for you?

help me get in touch with many spergs who are uniquely miserable in the very selective and specific ways that i am.

>akari donut screamerr

>Veeky Forums has made me hate Christians and Marxists more than I ever would have thought possible.
lmao, true

Veeky Forums made me realize marxists and christians are two sides of the same annoying and preachy as fuck coin

Veeky Forums gives me the ability to discuss my hobby with people all across the globe, some of whom are actually quite intelligent and insightful. It's also provided me with more than enough laughs and reading materials. Plus Veeky Forums in general is literally the best way to stay informed about modern culture. I dig this place.

Veeky Forums gives me a time killer and reminds me that I'm smarter and more well read than the plebs here.

Stopped playing video games and spend most of my fucking around time reading

Veeky Forums actually made me more interested in Christianity than I ever had before
I grew up with Protestants

Learned a bunch.

Still trying to get a take fot the least agenda pushing version of tsz though.
nb4 >translation shmanzlation

i read more about books than actually reading books

>Moreover, I think I learned just as much as I would have if I studied English at university.

you really haven't.
you can't write (moreover, "I know that the aforementioned is extremely plausible") and you probably can't think.

forgot to add that you can't read either

>babby frantically trying to justify his English degree
>thinks you can only learn about books and how to write at some university

It's not like English is STEM, so there's really nothing to it, friendo.

ok, you wouldn't have learned how to think but you might have learned how to fake it better.

>what has Veeky Forums done for me
Probably got me interested in more serious literature at around sixteen. I'll forever love the man who recommended me Kierkegaard. This was the biggest thing. Furthermore, the early google doc books were way too fun.

More and more though, I find people behave in a manner that is clinically retarded and devoid of critical skills. Peopele's woeful social lives cloud their judgement and it descends into a very bitter circle jerk very quickly.

Out of all the websites I could waste time on, I suppose that Veeky Forums is the best. Still, you're better off reading a fucking book.

I am glad I am not other people.

Expound.

good for finding marginally-hidden gems, McElroy for example.

Consensus opinions on philosophy etc. tend to be pretty good. Makes it easy not to waste time with blowhards.

It also helps keep reading on my mind, even if I'm not actually doing it.
>Veeky Forums has made me hate Christians and Marxists
pseud

sadly, this

>More and more though, I find people behave in a manner that is clinically retarded and devoid of critical [thinking] skills.
sadly, also this. we've been home to more and more idiots lately. I still recognize certain veteran voices amongst the crowd however.

If you can fake it alongside the best of them, that's all there is bucko.

Mostly inspired me to learn a foreign language.

>Moreover, I think I learned just as much as I would have if I studied English at university
Not even close.

There seems to be a conformist cult here who think of a few contemporary middlebrow authors as the pinnacle of Western Literature. I often feel physically sick when I see some of the hero worship here. I am at a point where I have almost given up on finding more good novels. But, from time to time I stumble upon a book here that has gone under my radar.

>hating pseuds makes you a pseud
nah

>What has browsing Veeky Forums done for me

Veeky Forums mostly wasted my time. But it does show how little books I've read compared to other anons here, and I'm working on it.

It also gave me more recs in modern classic novels.

It taught me about the depths of self-loathing I am capable of. But it also showed me that there are plenty that are just as miserable as I am, which is consoling considering how remote I feel from everybody I meet in daily life

Neetch would agree with you.

The final statement right here tbqh. Every board is a great sloppy introduction into a subject or hobby. /mu / gets you thinking about new genres and makes them more accessible with good recommendations of that genre. Veeky Forums does the same. /k/ recommends good guns for beginners and hammers in gun safety and etiquette. /pol/ rustled Jimmie and gets people passionate about issues (arguing like fucking retards). Veeky Forums can find you a car for your needs but beyond that is a circle Jerk like every other board. /tv/ has the most dogs hit opinions ever and should always be avoided unless bane posting.

All of Veeky Forums sucks, but it's Crack when you first discover it because it's a great intro to new things.

Despite all the shit posting, I've enjoyed some good discussions and gotten good recommendations on books I otherwise may not have discovered on my own.

My only complaint (in addition to the shit posting) is the repetitive discussions on the same handful of authors, with the occasional new and interesting post interspersed.

Get the fuck outta of my tread, Nietzsche. And stop masturbating in front of my wife.

>Moreover, I think I learned just as much as I would have if I studied English at university.
You think that because you have never gone to a decent uni and seen how shallow Veeky Forums really is.

I haven't been here long but I've discovered William Gass, Thomas Mann, Raymond Carver, Thomas Pynchon, and others. You guys also finally gave me the guts to go through my Joyce collection. I've also had quite a few civil discussions when the shitposting /r9k/ and /pol/ retards aren't fagging shit up.

Long may the recommendations continue.

While I don't post here often anymore, I started browsing Veeky Forums back in 2012. I had just graduated highschool and, thanks to Veeky Forums, I started to take reading (and myself) seriously. Over the course of the last five years, I've developed other hobbies, but reading has always taken the most of my time.

Well, it paid off; I just landed a teaching job at a boarding school where I have complete control of my curriculum. I'll teach there for a few years before moving on to grad school. I suppose I owe Veeky Forums a great deal; I'm not sure I would ever have found myself this passionate otherwise.

Thanks to any oldfags who molded me during that time