I am very sad all the time. When I am alone, I cry often...

I am very sad all the time. When I am alone, I cry often. This is very embarrassing to me because I don't feel that it is dignified for a man to cry out of self-pity, or to pity oneself in general, and I feel a great shame because of my behavior. Are there any books for this feel?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Manual_of_Suicide
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do you live in the first world? This is normal.

I know, but it still feels humiliating and, I don't know, unmanly, whatever that means. Anyway I don't want to talk too much about myself, I'm mostly just looking for a book recommendation that might deal with a similar idea

>tfw physically impossible for me to cry because my tear ducts dried up

i bet you're a dumbfuck who reads on how to be masculine.

Its almost like emotions come from our subconscious and we can't just think them away

Haven't been to Veeky Forums in a few years. Where's sunhawk, Stan, and caps guy?

Why is it r9k now?

I don't think that there is an existent ideal of masculinity to strive toward or anything. But I do think, being a man, that there is a way of the world, however self-imposed, culturally influenced, or fraudulent, that many guys feel beholden to in order to feel like a congruent member of society. I'm plagued by this, and it is probably a fixed idea or 'spook' as Veeky Forums likes to say, but I can't just extricate it from who I am. So I am looking for art that depicts individuals with similar insecurities and regrets, if for nothing else then for commiseration

This. like shit we get your depressed stop telling us your not special and if you really are in dire need then get help.

The best thing for you to do is find a book you enjoy. There is no better friend than a book, and one you like will make you feel less alone. The only problem is that I cannot tell you which one to read.

>Why is it r9k now?

Because we're a daddy figure to a lot of these pathetic urchins and they don't want to cry to their pathetic peers

Seems to me like user asked for book recs in 2 separate posts, and though he did a little wahwah shit the thread was still about him asking for recommendations, but the dumbasses of Veeky Forums who don't actually read like you can't actually give a recommendation so you just resort to pathetic commentary.

OP have you read Oblomov? There was a Russian character trope of the 'superfluous male' that was popular in the 19th and 20th centuries, and oblomov is probably the best representative of that, I think it might be up your alley

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Manual_of_Suicide

>but the dumbasses of Veeky Forums who don't actually read like you

Goddamn, you brutalized me. I'm out; see you in a few years Veeky Forums

typical for the useless to hide behind irony

its really cool asking for recommendations, but when you have the same thread everyday about the same topic with OP saying the same existential shit gets irritating. If anything read Meditations and lift weights if it really bothers you.

you man up by dealing with your actual problems, not by framing everything in some gender-specific light. it's always funny to me that you have these masculinity-cults where everybody writes about being manly while hiding from the world.

Thanks, I'll check these out (assuming the second one isn't just a troll).

I expected criticism when I made the thread, so it doesn't bother me that people are calling me r9k or pathetic or w/e, I know how vain it is to spread my own personal sadness like this and that I'm not special. I just want some good books written by authors who can articulate the feelings better than I am capable of (it must be clear from my wording that I can't perfectly voice what it is that I feel), and in order to get appropriate recommendations I had to try at least a little to describe what it is that I feel in the first place

1. Reading books describing your feel WILL NOT alleviate your feel, at least in most cases. It will probably ingrain it further.

2. If you still want books describing your feel (which, as I gather, is that of emotional repression), try:
Rontel
Sons and Lovers
The Moviegoer
Petersburg
Proust (many of his characters have trouble expressing themselves publicly)
any Salinger
The Sun Also Rises

i was trolling, i don't know more about the suicide book than is in the wikipedia article. i was just being mean

i hope you find an answer to your problems, i'm in the same boat more or less. i've been using alcohol to solve my problems but it's really not great. i would recommend you look elsewhere

Oh mate, knock the alcohol. You'll sleep better and you'll feel better.

Eat right, exercise, take pride in your appearance, improve yourself via study, take up an outdoor hobby, wake up early, etc.

All those banal self-help tips really do wonders if you take them seriously.

all good user, thx.

When I lived in a student dorm, both my neighbors cried regularly. I ended up buying some earplugs to be able to read in peace.
I don't know why you cry, but perhaps you should read some Marcus Aurelius. And why would crying have anything to do with masculinity? I feel it has become quite popular for men to cry in literature and on television the last 10 years.

>dignified for a man

Try Kierkegaard OP. Not necessarily because of his opinions on faith, but more his reticence and anxiety expressed about approaching a vertiginous, unreachable goal. His existential despair is , I suspect, similar to what you feel, as somebody plagued by an image of self-imposed expectations. I recommend The Sickness unto Death