The hardest part about writing to me is coming up with names...

The hardest part about writing to me is coming up with names. Sci-fi/Fantasy isn't so hard because you can call your characters whatever the fuckwit you want. But when it comes to modern day, real world stuff, for the life of me, I can't name the characters in my stories for shit. I went as far as googling the most popular names over the last few decades, and still can't pick names that I like.

Anyone else have an issue with this or am I just being way to high spectrum for my own good? How does Veeky Forums choose names?

Who gives a shit, call em whatever sounds nice and memorable

Percival Dunhill
Sidney Chambers
Both Copleton
Anton Ambrose
Ronald Drumpf

I only have trouble with male names.

I have trouble avoiding cliches when it comes to names that have a significant meaning. No matter what it just sounds like a fake name. My novel's protagonist name is Justin Everyman and it's the only subtle name I have been able to come up with. Please help.

>only white person names

>>/pol/

Jesus don't even name them if that's what you come up with.
Just use sounds like Groo or Tal lmao better than fucking Justin Everyman. Oh my god.

My novel's protagonist is a chinese man who is descended from an Egyptian pharaoh. His name is We Wu Zing.

I think you're missing the point. He could be just every man. Justin Everyman. How can you not relate?

He's also in high school and he looks like a normal teenager but he's actually a 5000 year old angel with black wings and a huge sword and his eyes glow red when he's angry which makes him stronger.

>Justin Everyman
>subtle

Do you guys not know that in good literature every name has a deeper meaning? Think of your character's attributes, their function in the plot. Then find a mythological or historical person who matches that mythological archetype, and name them in a way that clearly alludes to their namesake. For example, you might name a person who is struggling with his own will and freedom Pavlov. A woman discovering her sexual identity is Pandora or Pandy. Someone who is used in a treacherous plot is Eve or Eva. You can also use names with a literal meaning either etymological or in another language, e.g. someone having trouble expressing his feelings might be Stein, Reinhart or Pierre. Or you could use opposites, though that's usually for comedic effect - e.g. naming a huge person Smalls or something.

Gregory Berrycone. There's a name for you.

I like how Ligotti picks his names, they're very strange but not "too" out there, it complements the dream logic of his stories quite well, names like Pyk, Glimm, Faliol, Noss, Norleen, and so on and so forth

>wanting important characters to be anything but white

thanks for the cuck perspective

Well this thread hasn't been very helpful at all. Guess I'll go to /b/ and just make a "dubs names my characters" thread. So long, Veeky Forums!

I usually just use a name of someone I know.

Pick a letter

hey, not so fast! i can't write it down!

Gregor Samsa is the greatest main character name of all time

I've always struggled with character names too. Sometimes I wish I could just name my characters x or y, but it never works in practice and takes people outside of the story.
I really like the way Calvino names his characters in Cosmicomics though, he names them all kinds of unpronounceable things.
> inb4 Cosmicomics is SF/F

Just pick a name out of a phone book you fucking pleb. If it's good enough for Tolstoy it's good enough for your fanfic.

>Bothering with physical descriptions at all

>>> r/writers