How many Nukes would it take to break the crust of Mars enough to cause volcanic activity thus forming a magnetic field...

How many Nukes would it take to break the crust of Mars enough to cause volcanic activity thus forming a magnetic field? I made a long as thread about the logic behind this a few months ago when I believed this would allow us the breathe and I have the whole thing saved with the messages that corrected me and lead to proper theories regarding the ability to breathe on Mars, but right now I am only concerned about the magnetic field and how to properly equate this.

Other urls found in this thread:

ibtimes.com/mars-arsia-mons-last-erupted-about-50-million-years-ago-2512130
nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/ceres-cryo-volcano
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you'd have to drop giant magnets on it if you're trying to terraform via science

How many panes of LSD do you have to drop to come up with questions as stupid as OP's?

Apparently Mars had volcanic activity in the recent (geologically recent) past. New studies show one of the volcanoes may have erupted as recent as 50 million years ago. So our earlier assessment that Mars is dead may be premature.

ibtimes.com/mars-arsia-mons-last-erupted-about-50-million-years-ago-2512130

This may in fact change everything in our understanding of planetary geology. Earth was thought to be the last volcanically active planet, add to this Ceres's volcano and we just don't know for certain anymore.

nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/ceres-cryo-volcano

There are some very strange things going on with magnetic fields on planets. Mercury has one, as does Earth. Venus, closest in size and mass to Earth has no magnetic field, nor does Mars. How did Mercury keep its magnetic field if Venus couldn't? It's almost as small as the moon. Weird shit man.

So saying you want to create molten rock in Mars to jump start its magnetic field is a bit off. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. There apparently is some magma still left within Mars right now. It seems that way. So we just know too little about the process to know what's going on.

The magnetic field of Earth is generated by convection currents in the molten iron outer core of the Earth.
So you would have to somehow melt Mars's core which is not possible with detonating some nukes on the surface of the planet.

you would need to build gigantic magnetrons the size of the pentagon, place thousands of them around mars, powered by bullshitium reactors, and send microwaves through mars, heating up its iron core, and with it the surrounding material until you get convection going... talk about even more stupid ideas..

i forgot microwaves wavelength can be easily blocked by solid rock.

nevermind then.

at least we still have a use for the bullshitium reactors

As I explained in my post this isn't well understood. Mercury has a magnetic field but it's so small the core would have solidified a very very very long time ago. If you then say that Mercury's core remains molten because of tidal forces from the Sun then you've got to explain how a planet with a rotational period of 58 days maintains even tidal forces throughout the sphere of the planet sufficient to create a rotating dynamo. Meanwhile Mars apparently has some magma remaining in it's core enough for volcanism in the recent past. Why did it's magnetic field shut off if there's still some molten core? How did Ceres, a dwarf planet with neither tidal heating nor size maintain enough heat to develop a cryovolcano in the recent past? What's going on with its core? Should it also have a magnetic field but doesn't?

As I explained, our understanding of planetary geology is changing as new information is being discovered. Simply saying it's generated by convection currents in the molten core is perhaps too simplistic. I don't think it's wrong when you use that explanation here on Earth but applying it to other planets could be problematic.

1. Dropping nukes on mars will not give it a magnetic field. Earths magnetic field comes from a molten core of metallic elements. Earths core is about 4000 miles from the surface, no amount of nukes will ever have an effect on it. Mars core is about 2000 miles from the surface, much closer, but still several thousands of miles further through solid rock than any nuke would be able to effect.

2. What the fuck are you talking about breathing? We dont breathe magnetic field you moron. The magnetic field helps prevent the atmosphere from being stripped by solar wind sure but that does change the fact that theres not enough fucking oxygen on mars.

If you are referring to elon musks plan to nuke mars, his goal was to melt ice caps, allowing for plants to grow and create oxygen.

If you absorb anything from this post make it this
>your plan is retarded and you should stop posting it on Veeky Forums. Stop sharing it anywhere for that matter.

>period of rotation of 58 days
The effect of tidal forces on mercury keeping the core molten has nothing to do with rotational period. Its the strength of the gravitational and magnetic field from the sun that keep it molten.

>magma
>in mars’ core
Magma comes from the mantle and molten rock from the mantle doesnt create a magnetic field.

>cryovolcano
You have no idea what that means do you? A cryovolcano can occur at temperatures well below 0c and has nothing to do with magma, a magnetic field, or a molten iron core.

tl;dr: you are retarded and this thread makes me embarrassed for you

>How many Nukes would it take to break the crust of Mars enough to cause volcanic activity thus forming a magnetic field?
That's not how any of these works

The magnetic field is only to stop the sun from farting shit onto the surface while plants grow. That is part of the reason we send Ceres into an arbitrary orbit to act as a moon to do moon stuff so shit can start to grow and emit Co2.

It would appear as though nukes are not the solution and we need to find another way to form the magnetic field or at least something that will block sun spit. Perhaps we use lithium powered drills to drill into the core and cause reactions forming/sending new molten iron to the core to get things jiggy in the belly of Mar's core.

If you have a better idea to make Mars a livable planet I'm all ears.

Maybe if you had a trillion nukes

If you're already moving Ceres, why wouldn't you also move an asteroid into Mars' path, allowing it to do the work you had been trying to use a nuke to accomplish?

You know, that's actually not a bad idea. We'd want to send a scavenging mission there first though to observe mars in it's pre-"nuke" state so we can study that information as well as compare it to the essentially post-fallout state that we will inhabit.

who is she?

She has a penis, but dont worry its feminin so its not gay.

sauce on the girl?

Well he enver does anything where he's fucking a girl, it's always him with another guy so it's pretty fucking gay

Come out of the closet already so you can do some science! You can do gay shit on Mars after we destroy the crust enough to breath there.

shake my head
>shake my head

Volcanos don't give you a magnetic field - Venus has plenty, yet next to no magnetic field. What gives you a magnetic field is a core spinning at a different rate than the surface - this entails a liquid mantel that gives you volcanos, but it's not the volcanoes themselves that provide that.

Suffice to say, no amount of nukes is going to liquify the planet's innards enough to allow the core to spin freely, and even if you did manage to do that, somehow, there's nothing to cause the core to spin differently than the surface.

What ya'd need, is a large object in a close retrograde orbit - probably something about half the size of the moon. You wouldn't need to liquify anything at that point, the gravitational differential between the core and the surface would take care of that for you. Albeit, this would take a few million years to really kick in, nevermind getting the object into the proper orbit.

Suffice to say, NASA's idea of putting a magnetic field generator in a distant solar-stationary orbit would be simpler and more effective, as goofy as it is.

In the end, however, the radiation problems on Mars are highly overrated. Mere inches of metal, a foot of rock, or two feet of water takes care of the problem, and there is this thing called hydroponics. Gravity, though also probably overrated, maybe a bigger issue.

So pushing Ceres into the arbitrary orbit would do everything we need then.

Why would it be worth it?

To study the production of life on a colder and lower gravity planet. Creatures would evolve to be like polar bear monkeys who are designed for lighter weight movement while on a colder than tropical planet. Fish would be like thick flounders who swim at high speeds while maintaining large amounts of flesh for body heat. Tomatoes would grow large with low amounts of liquid high in sodium yeast. Think about the possibilities.

You could do all that here... Without the need to do something so ludicrous as to move Ceres. Similarly, you could do it there, with an artificial satellite, or just underground. Besides, by the time you've had a chance to observe that sort of evolution in real time, you'd have developed the capacity to simulate it in much faster than real time, making the effort fairly moot.

...and you've made this thread before, and you've already had it explained to you that's not how volcanoes work. Why you doing this again?

The conclusion I remember us coming to in order for planets to grow again had something to do with pushing Ceres into an arbitrary orbit made by making a ring of copper wire around Mars. Idk why I came back to the idea of nuking the crust to cause volcanic activity, I think my idea was just we could work with it once we broke it at some point.

Thinking about this is it even possible to create an Earth like atmosphere on mars?
Where would you get nitrogen and oxygen from?

Plenty of water in the form of ice to create oxygen from and power things in the process and there's also apparently a lot of nitrogen and nitrogen-oxide trapped in the soil, going by Curiosity's findings - just need to heat it all up.

Really, though, terraforming is a looooong term plan. You're better off setting up underground and domed research stations, that may one day branch into self sustaining habitats. Only downside to that approach is it means that any apocalyptic plans you have for terraforming in the future may no longer be an option.

Then dig a shaft in it.

All of them, then more.

Well who knows, maybe we'll make discoveries that lead us to speeding up the process. Another posibility that avoids everything in this thread is to send a lab shuttle to Mars to gather enough samples to create a 'mini-Mars'the size of New Hampshire that we terraform to observe the process at a faster rate from an orbiting satellite. Gravity levels will be lower and weather patterns will be a lot different as well, but we could do a lot with mini-Mars.