In science/engineering, is "proper" research(i.e...

In science/engineering, is "proper" research(i.e. not redoing something already done a gorillion times) possible at the undergrad level(even in the final year) or would you lack too much background information/knowledge of current advancements?

Assuming said student is let's say in the top 1% when it comes to the amount of effort they put into their degree

Bump

I did two different projects. One was about non invasive measurement of chemical properties. The other was modeling the viability of certain wind turbines, which is based on existing research in the last 10 years.

Jesus fuck, yes.

Don't listen to this spastic Just look at the depts at your uni and find out which research would interest you the most and then contact them how could you participate.

>contact them how could you participate
How would you approach that though considering most wouldn't have any pertinent background and could just waste the competent people's time

Dunno how that shit works over In US, but over here in EU uni depts are evaluated on many things, one of which is how many student projects, bachelor's / master's / PhD thesis they got going on so they're always open for more students participating in their labs.

Yes, you’ll be doing a lot of bitch work, but you’ll learn as you go.
Somewhat depends on the field though, I’m not sure if many EE undergrads could help with any research effectively for example.

Did you come up with the project ideas on your own and worked on your own or did some prof had an existing project and you joined?

>possible at the undergrad level
Look up Brian Josephson.

It depends on what you consider "proper research".
It is not so difficult to get to work in cutting edge tech, as there are many variables to study and consider before you release a product or anything like this. You may, in general, end up studying a specific aspect of a larger novel system or technology. Just quick research the number of papers on nanostructures as drug delivery systems, as an example.
Now, if your idea of proper research is more the "Grand Unified Theory" way - a "new concept" instead of local insight -, there is a lot of ground to cover.

Not user, but people usually join. Coming up with ideas and processes requires brainpower, takes time and costs money. Not impossible, though.

Only if you're jewish

Actually, you SHOULD BE DOING RESEARCH OTHER PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY DONE because there's a lot of it that is incorrect. You could be that person who upsets the entire scientific community.

Kinda in the same boat. I'd like to get into some research but I feel inadequate. I hear about students doing research with professors but they must be leagues ahead of me.

see

Such a bright mind... and where did he end up?
>SALLULER OWTOMATO DURRRR

>SALLULER OWTOMATO
what's wrong with that?

Read A New Kind of Science. Just be careful, some pages come covered in Wolfram's real cum. He couldn't contain himself.

Again, what's wrong with that besides him being up his own ass

Just stop being an autist, it will change your life. Talk to your professors. I literally never talked to a professor until this year and it fucking changed me
>I have shitty grades, no prior experience, no friends in my field, I wasn't even in any non-educational student organizations, and I'm in senior year.
>Realize if I don't get any lab experience I'm fucked professionally
>Look up my professors and what labs they run
>Size each one up for two or so lectures and see which one is the coolest/most approachable
>This guy runs a genetics lab with a focus on prenatal healthcare research and also PTSD
>Actually get kind of hype because the class he is teaching is basically about eugenics
>Ask after class if they had any positions available for undergrad
>After an office hours visit I get the job because I was super enthusiastic and nobody else from class showed interest
>mfw he didn't ask for GPA or anything like that
Just make sure you have a semester of time to get ready. You may have to do certain training to get into the lab and sometimes the required courses only happen once per semester. Be prepared to sacrifice breaks and work for school credit. Also if you're in their class make sure you do at least above average in that class so you don't look like a cunt. Not sure if any of this applies to engineering as I'm a biofag.

>Actually get kind of hype because the class he is teaching is basically about eugenics

>Just stop being an autist
>Just

How tho?

that's a good story, I'm happy for you. the same sort of logic applies to asking girls out by the way.

Do you have professors in the same department as the type of research you want to do who you did well in a class with? Or even tolerably - I got my position by asking my QM professor after spending a semester bugging him every week at office hours because I didn't know how to do the homework, then completing a homework assignment he found hard and getting the multiple choice questions on the final 7/7.

big if true

yes actually, in canada there's a research option for undergraduates (you don't need any legendary knowledge to participate).

>Not getting excited about removing all hereditary diseases from the population using medical genomics

>removing all hereditary diseases from the population
Eh, I wouldn't go around calling them "diseases" desu

I was thinking the same stuff. Im in 2nd year undergraduate E&E and I want to work on EM stuff but I feel like I would just be a burden and useless with my current knowledge.