I'm heading to Portugal, any advice on what to read on/from this country ?

I'm heading to Portugal, any advice on what to read on/from this country ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camilo_Castelo_Branco
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uriel_da_Costa
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_the_Siege_of_Lisbon
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinta_da_Regaleira
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Woooooooo that bitch ugly

So?

Southern Portugal is nothing but drunk British scum, gypsies and AIDS. Visit Sintra, run aroud Lisbon, eat on overhyped pasteis and abandon this dump for Porto and glorious North. Be prepared that everyone is incredibly slow and English situation is sad - there are about 5 people who can speak it in the whole country and 3 of them are autistic Veeky Forums basement dwellers. French helps a lot more. The local language is Spanish with heavy Polish accent, so maybe try that. Overall 7/10 country.

1. Wrong board.
2. Don't come here.
3. Fuck you.

Damn girl, nice gut

Okay but seriously, the answer is Os Lusiadas. One of the best epic poems ever written.

Os Lusíadas

Pessoa
Camões
Bocage
Padre Antonio Vieira (The emperor of the portuguese language desu)

I assume you mean that unironically because that belly nice!

I agree with this and also have nothing to say to OP.

Absolutely Camões and Padre Antonio Vieira.

Worth reading Portugal history as-well, from its amazing formation and the firsts kings, passing through the Illustrious Generation, expansion of Kingdom and ending in the creation of the Republic.

>Padre Antonio Vieira (The emperor of the portuguese language desu)
lol

Cute navel, would fill with my semen to produce a babby

>Off-Brand Spain

this

Camões is great. Genuinely some of the best poetry I've ever read.

>poortuguese literature

> The local language is Spanish with heavy Polish accent

lol, I don't really understand why so many people think Portuguese sounds Slavic.

Where do I start with those(except Camões which I've already read)?

Because it has a fuckton of sibilants and affricates.

Read the lower back tattoos of the chicks you'll be banging.

these are almost always written in english, no matter where you go

because its ugly

This guy is mostly accurate.
Read Camões, Bocage, Queiroz, Pessoa and Saramago. The rest is mostly derivative and/or higly regional, so read at your own risk.

Also, eat codfish, drink wine and be prepared to hear the natives complaining about everything 24/7. Good luck.

>has great local cuisine and a variety of dishes
>autistically imports and eats most basic bitch fish 24/7
Portukeks are irredeemable retards. No fucking wonder fado is so sad when you have to eat bacalhau all the time.

shut your mouth slut, bacalhau is great

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camilo_Castelo_Branco
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uriel_da_Costa
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_the_Siege_of_Lisbon
and others by Saramago

Enjoy the country, I was there over new year and it was one of the most beautiful countries I've been to. See Sintra and
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinta_da_Regaleira

please respond

Shit thread

I want to add Herberto Hélder and Fialho de Almeida

What country are you from? Do you go for translations or original?

>Fialho de Almeida
pls leave

>centralist aristocratic scum

wat

Wew so you haven't really read him and only throw out the meme "poor man's Eça" to appear cultured in Loucos e Sonhadores? Who would say

Brazil, so I go for originals.

I'm a poetry guy, don't bring me that prose shit.

Well, Sermões for Padre Antonio Vieira and Obra Poética/Livro do Desassossego for Pessoa.

Personally, I don't think that Bocage is worth it if you aren't into poetry, but if you really want to read him then just get an anthology and you'll be fine.

Thanks. I never really read Portuguese literature besides what was in the school curriculum and I feel like exploring it more seriously now.

If you're new to Veeky Forums then I would recommend you to diversify your readings. Don't focus solely on 2 or 3 authors. There's too many good stuff.

Not new to lit, but I've always favored foreign authors over Lusophone ones.

haha jajaja lol what a great banter

Typical hue. They call it complexo de vira-lata. It's funny t.bh.

Nice tum tum

I don't think it's vira-lata complex, just that they were too closely associated with school and exams for me and it took a while to grow out of these feelings. Reading for school was rarely enjoyable and I didn't really give a fuck about Eça or Gil Vicente when I was 15 years old.

If you were talking Brazilian literature then I'd definitely agree though. Our cultural output is mostly lame, trite and stereotypical, or too regional to be relevant outside of our bubble.

quem aqui ficou com tesão lendo esse livro?

You have Eça and Gil Vicente in brazilian highschool? We only have portuguese authors iirc

Livro do Desassossego is a meme. Prefering prose from such a great poet is criminal

>Livro do Desassossego is a meme
Hmm, no, is not. It's a good book. And Pessoa wrote more then 2000 pages in prose. Don't think that he is just a "poet".

And also I mentioned the "Obra Poetica", you fucking retard.

>It's a meme because Veeky Forums reads it

>nothing but British scum
>5 people can speak English
What am I supposed to believe here

>The rest is mostly derivative and/or higly regional, so read at your own risk.
>highly regional

Fuck you, man. Most of the shit you read is probably as regionalistic as anything produced in Portugal.

Due to the lack of comments on my post here, I feel the need to clarify the noise you should be subvocalizing is an a long droning "wew" and not a long "woah" as in #woahke.

We read A Cidade e as Serras, O Auto da Barca do Inferno and a few others in my school that I can't remember right now.

I don't see why the Portuguese would bother Brazilian authors in schools anyway.

>then
Here's a proof of your literacy.
>just a poet
wew
>2000 pages
Should've written the yellow pages instead.
>Obra Poetica
That's a br anthology.

It's a même because it's like reccing a book of photography by Shakespeare, if he had one. Many of the highschoolers here that have a slight interest in Pessoa/literature in general grab that and I can see its effects

I believe in elementary school I read Os Capitães da Areia but I'm not sure if it was for school.

Couldn't we study authors like Dalton Trevisan or Guimarães Rosa?

>It's a meme because I told you so

>It's a même because it's like reccing a book of photography by Shakespeare

Top kek. Worst post I've seen in this board.

Have you ever pronounced the word "woo"? Try sounding it out.

These statements don't contradict each other.

Capitães da Areia is trash, I'm sorry you had to read that.

Or just read whichever book from Lusiadas that narrates all of that

Don't go to Portugal. That is my advice to you