Just started reading this

Just started reading this

Holy shit, this is like Shakespeare in prose form

How Melville achieve this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ruOH-6fnjKw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

With ease.

By squeezing the sperm with a few buddies.

kys

More like the sperm whale amirite?

Milk & Sperm of kindness

Great thread

By studying Shakespeare for years

>How Melville achieve this?

He read good books and wanted to write the gnarliest fuckin adventure he could muster. Helped that he'd actually been whaling for a good period of time so it was something he could really connect with and share to his readers.

same here OP, just started reading
it's some fucking dank shit

What is your favorite thing about it? other than it being good prose. How would you recommend it to a friend?

idk, i just started reading it

the fact that it's considered one of the finest novels in history should be recommendation enough

I haven't read Melville, how are his prose compared to Joyce? In the same ballpark?

Better in my opinion, but yes, they're comparable

When you're stuck on a ship a lot you have a lot of time to think and write.

Wow I'll check it out

>tfw you'll never go whaling for months on end with your fellow seamen

Brilliant Reading Of Moby-Dick by Terence McKenna
youtu.be/ruOH-6fnjKw

Wait till you reach Ahab's monologue in chapter 70. My God, what prose.

>mckenna

One of my favourite things about it is how Ishmael will introduce a fairly mundane idea and then flesh it out for multiple pages with increasingly grandiose examples, transforming it into lengthy philosophical musings and allegories. My favourite examples of this are his description of mankind's obsession with water in "Loomings", and the various depictions of whales in "Of Whales in Paint, etc."

Besides that, it's actually pretty funny at times.

Damn, what edition is this? I want it.

swag

>Squeeze! squeeze! squeeze! all the morning long; I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it; I squeezed that sperm till a strange sort of insanity came over me; and I found myself unwittingly squeezing my co-laborers’ hands in it, mistaking their hands for
the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually
squeezing their hands, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally; as much as to say,—Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer
cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill-humor or envy! Come; let us squeeze hands all round; nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness.

>tfw you read Ahab's first speech
>tfw "I'd strike the sun if it insulted me!"

That's one of my favourite monologue's of his.
The other is probably when he makes the barbed spear, infused with his and the other guys' blood.

Are you all trying to imitate Bloom on that episode of open source years ago?

That isn't so "brilliant".

Nice picture though.

Terence McKenna sounds like he's getting a wedgie

Who influenced Melville?

fpbp
probably

Oh God, I wanna give this guy a wedgie and a wet willie, his voice is so fucking nerdy

I realize this is a kind of a meme. Like immature middle schoolers we giggle at the mention of these taboo-sounding words. But these few words are so beautiful.

I can't read Moby Dick without crying every few pages about how beautiful it is.

he just started reading moby dick
he don't know about the science chapters yet

Should I be worried?

Why worry? You are reading the greatest book.

Currently rereading this, I think this is my favorite book

Holy shit thank you for the McKenna reading.

the state of this post

Does anything compare?

No. The science chapters are great, just like the rest of the book. People who say they were bored by them don't deserve to have their opinions recognized.

what's the best edition of moby-dick?

hahaha wtf

I thought the same thing but near the end he does Ahab amazingly. Who woulda thunk.

This is my post:

finished MD last year
>mfw the bar for good lit is permanently raised beyond the reach of mortal man

If you're for real reading this then please spam this fucking rotting board with Melville posts every day till you finish it. might get some actual discussion about literature going for once.

>your fellow semen

very good, transcends the novel format imo. don't think it will ever be beaten.