Was he born a genius, or did he make himself one...

Was he born a genius, or did he make himself one? He does say that he doesn't believe in the maxim that geniuses are born.

Thinking about it is depressing.. He's just an example. Can someone of average intelligence "make it"? By that I mean not being someone who reads a lot, but is a total imbecile. Someone who can deliberate and evaluate, criticize and innovate. You know, a proper intellectual. Is ambition deadly!? Sorry, please don't be too harsh on me.

>the trite american conception of intelligence and the eternal worry about mental abilities
just do what you feel like doing and don't think, you dumb kid

will this board ever grow up?

sage

His education was much greater than the average European/American education today. He probably read more by age 16 than you did your entire life. Reading and writing was the only thing he did.

He also had a lot of emotional intelligence which is extremely overlooked in these academic communities because it comes from real hands-on work and experience. When you're emotionally intelligent you can think more rationally and carefully. It's safe to say that by age 16 he was more emotionally intelligent than your average Ph.D student (and just as well read).

And of course he was one of the most brilliant people to ever write, he likely had a very high IQ. But many people have an IQ like his but it's the emotional intelligence that is a true differentiator.

anyone have the braaaap pasta?

>high emotional intelligence
>his great work was written to mock and embarrass all the people he disliked in his life

Just do your best, you already know what you have to do to do your best, and you know it isnt posting in this place, as I do know too

>thinking you are even remotely qualified to judge his work
Fuck you, nigger.

I used to be a genetic determinist but now I am starting to suspect that the thing that ties most "geniuses" is obsessively pursuing their goals and interests. That obsession may be inherited but I don't see a reason why it couldn't be developed too.

Hi Mom

How and where can I improve my EQ? Any books, guidelines, or mindsets? Not even memeing. I feel like I need a prod in the right direction because I probably butcher EQ-related tasks on a daily basis.

>emotional intelligence is real

nice spooks

Stoicism. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, Letters From a Stoic by Seneca.

Also martial arts, MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

The main character is Svevo who Joyce loved

Any source for this? My edition of Zeno's Conscience has Svevo's pic and he indeed looks a lot like Bloom.

>Also martial arts, MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
?

>genius

spook

Being great at something is as much a fate as it is an effort.

To be a great athlete you must have a great natural capability as well as a great will to discipline. How much of yourself can you direct to the honing of this art? To what degree do you feel it? Is it instinctual? Likewise to be a good writer you need the mental faculties for it. This nobody can deny.

Ambition is when your attachment to an idea of the art is stronger than the art for its own sake. You cannot close the gap with just ambition.

Genius however... genius is when a man transcends the art. Because all geniuses know that the art is merely pointing to a higher art.

>Genius however... genius is when a man transcends the art. Because all geniuses know that the art is merely pointing to a higher art.

How pseud of you.

Here is the reality of genius:

It doesn't exist. The notion of genius is so vague and melodramatic it defies all logic and rationality. This is why it is a popular sentiment in Hollywood; it is a fantasy.

Smart capable people with motivation and drive under circumstances exist, and nothing more.

>the most correct post in the whole thread
>no replies
no wonder this board is full of brainlets and immature teenagers

Ok? You're only reiterating what I said. Sorry Hollywood ruined your notions of the transcendent or whatever. Genius is embodiment of logic and rationality.

>Genius is embodiment of logic and rationality
Lol, sorry? Who said this crap?

>uses the word brainlet
>calls other people immature

>Here is the reality of genius:
>It doesn't exist.
tell that to Georg W.F. Hegel

And what would Hegel say in response?

joe rogan in first year of undergrad

he'd say you suck dick desu

>Was he born a genius, or did he make himself one?

Think about it, OP. They're the same thing. He was born with the ability to become one.

The heritability of intelligence is somewhere between 0.4 and 0.8.
Emotional intelligence is a meme.

You just have to really want it. Anyone who doesn't get it doesn't want it enough, so it works out in the end

Nice one, fagwad, you just defined maturity. That's not intelligence at all.
Fact is, anyone can learn, just at various different speeds.

It's a factually incorrect post that doesn't deserve any replies. Keep rationalizing your own inferiority by believing that you'll just wake up one day and write something amazing. The bitter truth is that you're either born with the talent or you aren't. There is no amount of work that can compensate for not being gifted. You either have it or you don't, it is that simple.

I'll assume that you're in your twenties. You haven't accomplished anything significant yet, and neither have I. Don't fool yourself into believing that you'll ever accomplish anything because you won't. The very fact that you browse Veeky Forums means that you are a irredeemable failure, and so am I, and so is everyone else in this hellhole. We're the intellectual mediocrities, the kind that is aware of the vanity of the material, yet unable to thrive in the relevant fields - art and science.

Why such a surge of useless words, my friend? meant that you should just write and do what you feel like doing, instead of worrying about intelligence or talent that are non-measurable things. Action, action instead of thought that goes nowhere. It's exactly the same thing you wrote, so you're either a retard or you can't read. In the second case, you'd better leave this board.

>just write and do what you feel like doing
Just bee yourself!! xDD

>intelligence and talent are non-measurable things
>action, action instead of thought that goes nowhere
You're rationalizing your own failure. How many languages do you speak? Have you learned Latin at the age of 5 or something similar? How much do you read? How much have you written? You're a failure just like every single other person that dwells in this place.

The two main characters in Ulysses are himself and a guy who rescued him during a bar fight.

He eviscerates no one more severely than himself.

>>intelligence and talent are non-measurable things
>>action, action instead of thought that goes nowhere
>You're rationalizing your own failure.
There's no connection between the two points.

What's your problem? Feel stressed out?

"emotional intelligence" is a fake meme pushed by journalists and hack psychologists

there is no EQ, there is only IQ - after that variation in ability is based on interest and effort

>the discussion about IQ and EQ again
this board is fucking retarded

ahh you scooped me

im glad to see this, shows there's some brains trawling this place