R, julia and everything else that isn't MATLAB

>R, julia and everything else that isn't MATLAB
why is this shit still even a thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_(programming_language)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>MATLAB and everything else that isn't R, julia
why is this shit still even a thing?

>uses bloated high-level languages

Just use C/C++ brainlet.

pls tell me how R or julia are even remotely as good as MATLAB. I'll wait.

inb4 free
Any software is free when you want it to be.

pls tell me how MATLAB is even remotely as good as R or julia. I'll wait.

Not a piece of shit to start. Libraries/packages are easily added. None of this it's own library is not writable bs. Very good signal processing and control systems toolboxes. Actually helpful documentation and communities.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_(programming_language)
>In 2015, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York used Julia to make models of the US economy, noting that the language made model estimation "about 10 times faster" than before (previously used MATLAB)

also doing statistics in MATLAB instead of R confirms you to be a brainlet

>trusting the fed
>putting up with clunky unintuitive code when there is an easier alternative makes you a brainlet
go back to watching rick and morty

>unintuitive
maybe if you're a brainlet

you

MATLAB = overpriced shit
Slow composition of open sourced solution that costs thousands.

see

If you ignore its horrible, horrible language, MATLAB is pretty good.

>using anything but R for stats
Write code, latex and your report in RStudio is pretty comfy

>Rstudio
How do you stand the response lag on the REPL? I find it infuriating.

>using proprietary programming languages
Veeky Forums confirmed for dumber than /gee/

Julia is the true patrician language

>be OP
>be retard engineer
>literally learn only ever touched matlab as a programming language
>make an absolutely abhorrent post on Veeky Forums
Lmao fucking kill yourself you idiot.

Matlab is bretty gud, definitely better than R, but it triggers autists because it isn't MUH OPEN SOURCE

MATLAB is a bloated piece of shit, with narrow range of application. Just because it works for your given current needs, doesn't mean shit. It's like saying why does C++ and Java exist when there is C.

Matlab is one of the worst designed languages I have ever seen, it is so full of garbage and retarded Ideas.
The only "feature" it has that it has a great standard library which makes testing things and prototyping things really fast.

> He felt for a data science meme
> I also felt for it
> feels bad man

Tho matab is shit.

Is Julia a meme? I don't want to learn another me language.

R is built for statisticians by statisticians and has statistical/machine learning libraries that you wouldn't even know existed

because documentation for it is so shit.

python is the only rival to R in terms of machine learning

I only want to learn meme languages. I just got done learning ArnoldC. What's next? Python?

everything that isn't assembly, c and c++ is a meme language.

1. MATLABs language is horribly inconsistent.
2. The libraries, astonishingly enough considering they almost exclusively come from one single entity, worsen this problem even further.
3. The often praised plotting capabilities are only easy to use or even viable for the simplest of applications. They fall short in absolutely amazing ways.
4. The GUI tends to crash on complex models. I'm surrounded by people working with complex Simulink models at work and day in, day out, they have it crash on them, several times per day.
5. The MATLAB file formats are a horrible mess and there is no easy way to use them from other languages.
6. It is, of course, pay-for. And yeah, if you're an organization, that matters.
7. It is slow as shit for the heavy lifting. And yeah, I'd like to see a source for because I have a hard time believing that - there's not a lot of code out there than can beat the (C-implemented) SciPy and NumPy libraries in terms of speed.

On the plus side, Simulink is an amazing tool if you want engineers writing their own software and you don't care about the quality of it. Also, it does a decent job at interfacing with many things, better and simpler than most other languages at least.

Anyway, if programming languages were a competition, MATLAB wouldn't even be near the front. On top, you have still C/C++ on top of the compiled software, bare metal market; Java (and JVM driven langs) on top of the general purpose market; and Python on top of the purely interpreted languages with a lead so huge it has lapped MATLAB a few times alread. So yeah, if it were a competition, in the market MATLAB is targeting Python is already basically a monopoly, even though engineers don't realize this at all (amazingly enough).

>It is slow as shit for the heavy lifting
[citation needed]

the same reason that all kinds of shitty technology exists

because it has libraries that no one can be bothered to write into better languages.

matlab and the various python packages all use hte same BLAS/LAPACK libraries under the hood so the difference is probably down to how much overhead the benchmarked code had. I could totally see a benchmark like that being (possibly even unintentionally) biased to matlab

I agree, R is pretty good.

well lets have an objective comparison

Rcucks on suicide watch

op here,

after actually looking at julia I take it back julia is amazing. R is still a pile of dogshit tho.

>IDE
>RStudio
>Not RGui
plebs please go

What does Veeky Forums think of Maple? They're teaching that shit instead of matlab in my uni.

You should take a look at R as well

it's symbolic instead of numerical which is matlab, tho matlab does have symbolic computing too but it's not the core of it.

wait, maple is both.

Which one is better though

they have different purposes.

R and Matlab are both shit, python is awesome as long as the heavy lifting is done in c/c++

maple is probably better for symbolic computation. for a time matlab used their code for their symbolic toolbox. tho there is also mathematica for that too. matlab is better for the numeric stuff. matlab's strength is linear algebra, so if you're dealing with matrices it's the way to go also the ide is great.

You do realize there is GNU Octave? A literal MATLAB(tm) clone?

it's not a complete clone and it's missing the parts of Matlab that are most worth using

...thanks for the non-answer...

it's not a non-answer at all. they're not competing products, so comparing them is pointless.

I use Perl for PCR funsies.

> spends an entire day reinventing the wheel so his code runs 3 seconds faster
> even if he's doing it because of his inferiority complex it's still not haskell or lisp
> suggesting C++ even ironically
> calls other people brainlets

>haskell or lisp
Worthless langs. Stop with the memes kid.

this was exactly my point, work on your reading comprehension.

C and C++ certainly have uses but they are not the same as Matlab's.

There is no point rewriting your code in C unless you're going to run it literally hundreds of thousands of times.

>3 seconds
>30 seconds
>300 seconds
>3000 seconds
>30000 seconds
And the next thing you know your shitty space invaders indie clone cant run without gayforce high-g-triple-xXx 29870 xtreme overvolt edition.

Wait till babby learns C/C++ and stops fearing pointers
Then you'll wonder why MATLAB/Java/etc still exist

>spends an entire day reinventing the wheel so his code runs 3 seconds faster
You don't know C/C++ has libraries, or are you just pretending?
>it's still not haskell or lisp
Still not a dinosaur language without native pointers in the case of haskell?
>lisp
kek@suggesting a dynamically typed language over C/C++

I know you're trolling at this point, but pls stop

not him but there's a difference between blunt and brief

blunt is "neither" or "they have different purposes"
brief is explaining what those differences are