Post a writer you've always wanted to try. Other Anons tell you what to expect

Post a writer you've always wanted to try. Other Anons tell you what to expect.

I'll start.

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/magazine/2002/04/01/baader-meinhof
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

one of the best

>one of the best
yup. Start with either his recent short stories, or his novels chronologically from White Noise

I'll meme

He's great.

>Menander

I really want to read William Gass - and i'll admit the memes helped

Like DFW but safer, if that makes any sense. I think his narration is wonderful, but I've only read The Corrections

where 2 start

By fondling the words.

Fondle them good with your mind mouth

Try Sebastian Knight or Speak Memory to dip your toe in, or jump right into The Gift, Pale Fire, or Lolita.

Mishima

He's so good holy shit
The Sound of Waves was so satisfying--start with that

>suggesting white noise over ratners star or the players

dun fugged up

I'm suggesting where OP should start, since delillollipop is new to him. You wouldn't make GR as your first pynchon outing.

>meme writer
>hory shiet he so good
Does anyone read on this board at all?

I thought sound of waves was normie core for Mishima. To really get Mishima you should read some of his more twisted and perverse stuff like Confessions of a Mask, Temple of the Golden Pavillion, The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea or Runaway Horses.

One of the greatest writers of the 20th century. All of his works are kinda samey, but there is so much passion and rage about "the mechanization of the arts" (it's important that you kinda feel, at least sympatethic to this theme, because his work is a constant rant about it) and his characters are so great that, in the end, you won't mind to be reading the same things over and over again. Try "JR", it's his best book.

That's why Mishima's so good. The Sound of Waves is a perfectly weighted, comfy romance, Confessions is mad, riveting and intense, Temple is a serious novel of ideas woven around a compelling plot; Patriotism is a violent literary shot of absinthe. His weird shit is great and so's his less weird shit.

Yes you would. Most people dont feel the need to treat books like levels in a video game

Should I start with TTSS with this author?

Important, but not a total joy to read.
Sad user

Don't be condescending. Some authors benefit from certain reading order, it allows the reader to unpack their ideas in a more satisfying way, and to better understand the process the author's mind went through.
For example, Sabato's main ouevre makes immeasurably more sense when read like this: El Túnel - Sobre héroes y Tumbas - Abaddón, el Exterminador.

Ivan Turgenev

Seems too meme

The Recognitions. JR may be too difficult as you've got to get the "rhythm" of it.

Pynchon's cool. He's like an actually insightful, intelligent version of the beat poets. He is pretty funny, too.

It is hard to find decent translations of his work.

start with the rainbow, baby stepping in is not going to give you the experience you want

Are you asking regarding Vollmann?

Europe Central is your best bet, or start the Seven Stories series, Ice Shirt or Fathers and Crows.

Def Pnin.

he reminds me kind of a more clever more poignant less gruff raymond carver.

Hes tres good.

Flaubert

Pynchon has some lovely prose, if you're into the time periods he writes about it's great reading.

Faulkner

sportsman's sketches >>>>>> fathers and sons

the former is one of the best short story collections of all time, the latter is an OK social commentary - fine if you're really into old Russia, but its no artistic revelation. I probably wouldn't have even read anything else by him if I started with Fathers.

Is she really that good or is she hyped for the obvious reason?

Mark Z. Danielwski.

Read the first book, and maybe some of her other work, but the rest of the series wasn't worth reading.

Danielewski*

Philip Roth

Read Sabbath's Theater. Read nothing else. If you will ignore my advice, fine, settle on Portnoy's Complaint. Then, really, don't go any further.

Jean Genet and WS Burroughs

i loved portnoys complaint but its all one man's whining at an office. i can see why no woman would understand this book too, its pretty much just male confusion.

Ridiculously beautiful and luxurious in language.
Incredibly human (not necessarily the most pleasant sides) or in Salammbo and some of the short stories incredibly visual and exotic.

>Post a writer you've always wanted to try

I like the idea OP but I don't get it. If you really want to try an author then stop shit posting on this Anatolian snow ploughing forum and do it.

Just start with Lolita. It's first rate Nabokov and also became a bestseller. Even giga plebs have read and enjoyed it.

Pushkin

Foot fetish.

OP here, I ordered The Angel Esmeralda thanks to I'll start it tomorrow.

what is reason to stop on one book?. I read portnoys complaint and I also want to read his other books.

Utter degenerate low life of the mid-20th century. Evocative for its time but drab by modern standards as the content is too lame in comparison to Internet shock videos but too objectionable and incoherent to otherwise warrant any merit of its own.

Just read Pynchon or something. Or read beatnik poetry. Or Bukowski.

Have fun. Just know that some of the earlier ones are lame (imo). But stories like "Hammer and Sickle" and "Midnight in Dostoevsky" are excellent, and capture the sort of human consciousness framed through intensified systems that he gets at in his longer works.

Philip K Dick thought Dhalgren was a bad book. Is there a better place to start?

Human moments in ww3 has the greatest last paragraph ive ever read. Hammer and sickle is also brilliant

Well, that's fair enough then. I've read that collection actually and it's pretty decent. I really like the story 'Baader-Meinhof' -- a very uneasy story.

Honestly, if you like it then check out White Noise or Libra next. Or fuck it, skip straight to Underworld. All's good in the hood.

Oh, and if anybody wants to read it:

newyorker.com/magazine/2002/04/01/baader-meinhof

Underworld is the greatest novel of the postmodernist american writers.

I have only read Ubik, I recommend it.

That or The Spy Who Came In from the Cold. He's all about spies as bueraucrats and makers of shady information exchanges, not the sort of pulp James Bond action stuff a lot of authors go in for.

I've only read a collection of his short stories, in the heart of the heart of the country was good as fuck, icicles was ok, but everything else was pretty lukewarm, idk probably should have started w/ omensetter's luck

what about pedersen kid? One of the great short stories of all time

Ahh, that was the name, I was considering expending some effort to remember the name but I decided against doing so and omitted it. The ending to that story was feverish as fuck

>Burroughs post-Junkie
>Hemingway
>Dostoevsky (other than C&P)
>HP Lovecraft

I don't really know where to start with either of these. I read Junkie and loved it, but I heard that his style in later novels is starkly different.

Also the only Dostoevsky novel I read was C&P but that was in high school so I'd be down to reread it.

here you go.

I've only read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" And I do recommend it. It's been a while since I've last read it though.

I hope you're talking about Burroughs and not Genet.

For Genet, start with Our Lady of the Flowers.

I want to start with this guy some place that will ease me into his work. Years ago I tried reading The Unnameable without knowing anything about the book or its author. I didn't make it further than a quarter of the way through. I didn't dislike it though, I just wasn't in the mood for anything like that and I had no idea I was diving right off the deep end. What's a better place to start?

1. Proust
2. Schopenhauer
3. Proust by Beckett
4. Plays
5. Novels

What about him?

Burroughs play with language goes beyond shock value, worth reading if you're interested in the abject.

Most people who write works that are repulsive, those that are well-received/popularly known at least, usually have more going for them than that alone.

Who is that?

If you want plays, try Waiting for Godot, or Endgame. You can find a lot of them on Youtube. Not I is another great, short one.

If you want novels, start with Murphy, or Molloy (first in the trilogy). The Unnamable is probably the worst place to start desu.

The Human Stain is based

American Pastoral is my favorite. The Human Stain is also very good and Portnoy's Complaint is quite amusing.

Anything on Danielewski, mates?

Many thanks!

Elenita Poniatowska

more pricks than kicks if you've read dante is enjoyable

nvm I will never read Pushkin

momiatowska

Clarice.

also is the english translation okay?

I mean, I guess the only book he's known for? Since you want an answer so bad.

The Sound and the Fury is a stunning work of genius.

expect unexpected

all i kno is the this is water speech, it almost made me cry
im scared Veeky Forums

You'll be OK.

Just read IJ.

Non riesco bene a leggere epica, mi sento in colpa a leggere cose che potrebbero piacermi ma di cui ho bisogno un dizionario per capirne il contenuto. Non voglio rallentare una lettura e rischiare di rovinarla.

In this order
>Man in the High Castle
>Martian Time-Slip
>Do Androids
>Ubik
>Divine Trilogy

I've only read the passion according to G.H., i enjoyed it and i'm thinking of ordering Near to the wild heart.