Is there any real point to being cultured? For example, reading literature, listening to classical musicians...

Is there any real point to being cultured? For example, reading literature, listening to classical musicians, going to the theatre, and so on... Are they truly higher pleasures? Has one lived a better life if they regularly partake in such things?

Only if it makes you a person pleasurable to be around with.

There is no point to anything.
Being cultured is a substitute for actually having experiences.

What is that old saying?
"The man who did heroin and died at 25 lived more than the man who did nothing and died at 80"
A shitty saying, but something similar to that.

Better in a hedonistic way? No, not necessarily.

It's more about keeping certain aspects of culture around. It's tradition and ritual and the subtle pleasures that come with doing things that aren't as instantly gratifying as jerking off, watching anime, or posting on facebook.

you've posted this before with the same exact image I believe. Define better life if you want an answer

Are you expecting some seal of approval or divine favorfor doing these things? It's not if your hobbies are snotty and high class or brutish and peasant that will make you "live a better life"

If these things concern you at all it's better to just drop them, there's absolutely no point to do anything just to put on airs.

Yes if you genuinely enjoy them, if you are just putting a facade to seem "le intellectual" then you end up a pseud.

you are like a little baby

I'm sick of these fucking threads

It is so painfully obvious the age demographics of this board

A little baby with worn shoes.

You must have quite the story to tell

Yes there is, simply because some culture is more worthwhile in perspective and you'd be doing yourself a disservice to deprive yourself of it. Of course this is only on the recommendation of other people who still find enlightening certain cultural practices.

Myself, I'm a massive Wagnerian and have introduced some family to the Ring,and they enjoyed it. They would've never known or cared about it otherwise.

I suppose you shouldn't forget that being cultured means being part of a culture, i.e enjoying and spending time working on or talking about an art for instance. Culture is supposed to elevate you above your own previous decadent self, by giving you a new light and experience, not above other people so you can brag and tease or swagger.

Classical music is in fact far more advanced musicologically, theatre is in fact far more intimate than television.

at the very least it can help give words to that feeling of dead-endedness you get when you listen to the people around you talk about the things they enjoy

bump

>Classical music is in fact far more advanced musicologically, theatre is in fact far more intimate than television.
Stop being such a pseud.
I personally think JS Bach is the greatest artist who ever lived but stop pretending classical music is inherently better. I'll take David Bowie over Vivaldi or Tchaikovsky any day of the week.
And what the fuck intimate is even supposed to mean ? It isn't better just because you're in the same room as the actors.

>David Bowie
Fucking hell, what bad taste.

>It isn't better just because you're in the same room as the actors.
Yes it is.

I state two simple facts and you call me a pseud. You didn't at all dispute what I actually claimed which was that classical composition is far more advanced than pop music for instance like your David Bowie. And my personal opinion that you can relate far more intimately with a real actor on stage than a disposable image which has been computer edited for maximum pleb dazzlement.

>Bach, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky
Beginner music, music 101

it's a shitty answer, but it's the only real one: it depends on you

if you use aspects of culture to express who you are, or express who you are through aspects of culture, go for it; but if you express yourself within culture's confines because it is a safe place for you to grow within a predetermined framework, you have totally failed.

dabble in culture until it either clicks or it doesnt and you understand why. but dont find your home in it because you are homeless. find your home then visit.

Heroin is really, really fucking boring :^)

>HURR, this is pleasant
>DURR, nodding out

> Is there any real point to being cultured?
Question doesn't make sense. If I enjoy activities that seem cultured, it means I'm cultured. Who cares if there's a point.
> Are they truly higher pleasures?
Yes, because they require education, financial resource, intelligent company, etc. to enjoy fully.
> Has one lived a better life if they regularly partake in such things?
Yes. They are a "symptom," so to speak, of a better life. I anticipate other stupid questions like "BUT ARE THEY REALLY HAPPY?" I'm talking about quality of living and socioeconomic status.

I don't think so. I think people should simply read and watch what they enjoy, regardless of whether or not it's considered high class. Partaking in certain activities just because they're considered high class is pretentious and silly.

I chose Vivaldi and Tchaikovsky because they suck so the fact that they're well known is the point. You can replace Bach with Schumann, Berg or Messiaen if you want.

>simple facts
>personal opinion
Which one is it ?

>classical composition is far more advanced than pop music
I agree it's probably more complex most of the time, I just don't think it makes it better.

>you can relate far more intimately with a real actor on stage
I personally relate more with well written characters whatever the medium is.
And, following that logic, you can relate to actors on a stage way more than you can relate to characters in a novel. Do you think theater is better than literature because of it ?

>Yes it is.
Same question.

>what bad taste.
Sure, I'm not saying he isn't plebeian but my point is than he's still better than some classical composers.

ITT

desperate plebs attempting to posture as cultured elites

Sorry kids, you had to be born into a.cultured family to have taste, stop trying

yea but Vivaldi and Tchaikovsky are both shitty pleb tier artists while Bach is actually p. good.

To simply r & w what one enjoys implies that knowing what one enjoys is a given. Is it? What of exploration? Isn't that enjoyable? If it isn't, then what's the point of being free?

Everyone in this thread is probably a decadent living a worthless life, so not really

What do you consider a worthwhile life? I think my life would have a lot more worth personally if I grew more bonds with others, but I wouldn't consider it worthless.

>Classical music is like... the sound of math, man...

>I think my life would have a lot more worth personally if I grew more bonds with others
please dont remind me about how bad i am at making friends mister triplicate

There's only a real point to experiencing avant-garde culture.