What does it take to do a science ph.d ?

Do you just have to get good grades and that's it, you're ready for the big guys degree?

No. Go talk to one of your professors, preferably a young one, about wanting to do a PhD and they'll tell you what it's like.

How do I start the conversation?

>Hey professor, do you have a minute? I'm thinking about going to grad school and hopefully getting a PhD, can you tell me a little more about what it's like?

"Hey professor, I'm curious about doing a PhD, could you tell me what it's like?"

walk straight holding your head up, go in front of him, look at him in the eyes , then say

hello my friend, how is your day going? (pause 2 seconds) I would like to know what does it take to do a ph.d. Can you tell me what does it take to do a ph.d?
(listen and don't talk)

highjacking the thread a little bit

which is harder to garduate : a masters or a ph.d ?

Say “yo doc, whats it like go be a huge cuck who sucks dick all day like? I too want to pursue a doctor of philosophy degree”

ph.d, no question

You also need professor references so make sure to get their attention with your hard work and interest. Just silently getting good grades isn't going to cut it in a competitive program.

They said you are basically a slave to PhD doing shit work for them...

Also, most PhD's don't do original work. They piggy back off of others work.

Example.. Take an already published work. Include some different data and you have a thesis that is "unique" but good enough.

why? no one fails a ph.d but plenty fail the masters

Because brainlets aren't admitted to PhD programs in the first place. It's easier to get into a Master's.

>no one fails a ph.d
plenty of people stop pursuing a PhD.

Masters' usually have courses in addition to research, but PhDs don't, so there's nothing to "fail out of"

PhD programs will have coursework just like master's programs. The biggest difference is that a Master's program will be a couple years of courses during which you're doing a thesis, so when you're done it's go time, and people may not be ready. Doctoral programs are much longer and by the time you finish your dissertation, you know exactly how ready you are for your examination.

>PhD programs will have coursework
no, not all of them and it depends on your country/uni

>no one fails a phd

Elon Musk failed a Applied Physics PhD at Stanford.
He dropped out from Stanford Physics Grad School.
He left the program after just 2 days

I mean, I'm counting seminars and stuff as well, which aren't "classes" as much as guided academic work.

"Yo faggot, how was it to waste your time and kiss professors in the ass to get that degree? Did u gibe de zucc to publish de papyrus Tutancamon?"

Joking... just tell him/ her about your intentions and ask for an advice. :)

perseverance, persistence, stubbornness

im just an undergrad tho

Explains why he still believes his hyperloop meme and sucks the government's cock for money.

also explains why he is able to run a multi milion company

ok thx

seriously though what is it like to go through the grad school process and get a PhD? I went into industry after undergrad and I'm happy but I still have a bit of a fantasy of doing grad school someday.

>fantasy
just go then. undergrads are shit tier

people with PhDs call it a grown up qualification. You have to think for yourself, come up with something original and then defend it. The answers are NOT in the back of the book. Main diff IMHO.

Read the book "How to get a PhD" that will give you a clue.

>failed

Does anyone but rabid Musk antis actually believe this?

He dropped out to start a business he knew would make him a shit ton of money.