Horror fiction general /hfg/

Hey, I thought It'd be cool to have a general for horror fiction since I've seen some threads about some authors lately. Weird and Gothic fiction is welcome too.

Pic related is a chart a threw together pretty quickly.

So then:

>Currently reading

>Want to read

>Favorite book?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/LEKv0
lovecraftzine.com/magazine/issues/2015-2/issue-35-summer-2015/the-secret-of-ventriloquism-by-jon-padgett/
youtube.com/watch?v=lxkPYyYlrHI
pseudopod.org/
ellendatlow.com/2017/03/08/final-toc-for-the-best-horror-of-the-year-volume-9/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Here's a imgur link to the chart:

imgur.com/a/LEKv0

Crosspost from /x/

D O A
O
A

Horror and Mystery belongs in /SFFG/ with all the other genre fiction.

This is a fucking great idea, OP.
Keep posting

I think Kiss kiss by Roal Dahl is the only I loved when I read it as a child that I would still love if I read it today.

Don't bump every Lovecraft thread on the catalog.

There's way too many as it is.

Whoops

>any fiction
>not in a genre

Sorry, this is just to get them to all come here

Thanks, surprised there wasn't here already (or on /x/).

Says who?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MONTRESOR

>currently reading
lovecraft cthulu mythos

>want to read
the rest of lovecraft's fiction

>favorite book
havent actually read a horror book. just lovecraft short stories. call of cthulu was pretty good.

I'll go

>Currently reading
Just finished "The Wide Carnivorous Sky" by John Langan. My favorite story in it was "The Shallows".

>Want to read
I do have Langan's new novel "The Fisherman" which is getting rave reviews. But I also got the Penguin Classics edition of "Songs of a Dead Dreamer/Grimscribe" and I kind want to read that also (I've only read a handful of Ligotti's stories).

>Favorite book?
It's The Shining for me. It's what made fall in love with King's work.

>Currently reading
Just finished the breathing method by S. King.
One of his best works, the final shock me a little.

>Want to read
Thomas Ligotti and Michael Cisco work's

>Favorite book?
In horror maybe the Cthulhu mythos

BTW here's the old chart. I felt that it was too small so I made a new one.

I've heard of Cicso but I don't think I've read his stories yet.

Do you have a favorite Cthulhu Mythos story?

...woops. Reposting my question from here

>Currently reading
On Conics, middle of book III.
Progress and Poverty, book VIII
>want to read
I'll be reading through every single On Conics book Apollonius wrote, including the one Ibn Al-Haytham completed. After that though, I'll be moving on to 'Introduction to Arithmetic' by Nicomachus

After Progress and Poverty, I'll be reading Léon Walras' Elements of Pure Economics

Around the same time I start that I'll read Rousseau's Social Contract and some of his other writings on education and economics.

My favorite book due to size, scope, subject matter, and everything else is probably Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations.

Found the title story:
lovecraftzine.com/magazine/issues/2015-2/issue-35-summer-2015/the-secret-of-ventriloquism-by-jon-padgett/

It's apparently the guy who founded Thomas Ligotti online. And yeah, puppets are a central theme of Ligotti's. I'll read this story later but I'll tell you my thoughts when I do.

Do you read fiction sometimes?

Economics are horrific in that it's really hard to understand them.

Anything spooky I can listen to at work? I've had to resort to shitty creepypasta narrators to get my horror fix

This guy reads a lot of published horror fiction:

youtube.com/watch?v=lxkPYyYlrHI

I have a lot actually, but if a have to choose two or three stories those will be "the hounds of Tindalos", "out of the aeons" and "the haunter of the dark".

What about you user?

There's also this podcast:

pseudopod.org/

Last fictional work I read was Memoirs of a Geisha.

I don't have time for fiction. You only have one life, my friend.
It can be. As opposed to philosophy though, at least I can see the practical application. Not that philosophy is pointless but social philosophy is tremendously more impactful in my opinion. It should be no surprise I very much like Mill.

Wealth of Nations can be an extremely dense book. But rewarding indeed.

You're right it's complex. Most economists are into concretely objective things because this isn't about wish washy conjecture. That being said, I adore the economists who applaud the beneficial effects faith in God has on a population. I am sorry to say but systems like Keynesianism, while very detailed and in depth, must necessarily increase consumption over time. And this, in my opinion, is a basic fundamental error in thought and perception.

My favorite by Lovecraft would be "Call of Cthulhu" and my favorite one not be Lovecraft would be "Sticks" by Karl Edward Wagner.

By the way, here's the TOC for Best Horror of the Year Vol. 9 by Ellen Datlow:

ellendatlow.com/2017/03/08/final-toc-for-the-best-horror-of-the-year-volume-9/

>Nesters - Siobhan Carroll
>The Oestridae - Robert Levy
>The Process is a Process All its Own - Peter Straub
>The Bad Hour - Christopher Golden
>Red Rabbit - Steve Rasnic Tem
>It’s All the Same Road in the End - Brian Hodge
>Fury - DB Waters
>Grave Goods - Gemma Files
>Between Dry Ribs - Gregory Norman Bossert
>The Days of Our Lives - Adam LG Nevill
>House of Wonders - C.E Ward
>The Numbers - Christopher Burns
>Bright Crown of Joy - Livia Llewellyn
>The Beautiful Thing We Will Become - Kristi DeMeester
>Wish You Were Here - Nadia Bulkin
>Ragman - Rebecca Lloyd
>What’s Out There? - Gary McMahon
>No Matter Which Way We Turned - Brian Evenson
>The Castellmarch Man - Ray Cluley
>The Ice Beneath Us - Steve Duffy
>On These Blackened Shores of Time - Brian Hodge

So if I haven't read any Lovecraft, what's his best to sell me on him?

look man I'm sure your mother loves you and you have a big dick but there are other threads you can be smug in

I don't know him. In which horror sub-genre did he wrote?

>fiction readers
Literally lmaoing at ur life

Haunting of Hill House is GOAT

gb2 >>Veeky Forums

Any Hoffmann readers? I haven't read all of him, and I don't think I know enough Goethe to read him. William Hope Hodgson has some nifty short stories.

He was mostly known for Sword-and-sorcery ala Conan but he wrote a lot of Lovecraftian-style. I think he has a pretty good influence on Laird Barron.

My first was Herbert West: Reanimator, for what that's worth. Innsmouth is good too.

Start with short fiction tales like the cats of ulthar, the outsider and the music of Eric Zahn..
But if you want to start with his Cycle of old ones gods and with the cosmic horror just choose the call of Cthulhu

At the Mountains of Madness is considered his best work.

Most boring work, maybe. The whole middle section is a Silmarrilion-style infodump.

Has anyone read Swift to Chase by Laird Barron or The Fisherman by John Langan? Want to hear some thoughts on them.

Dude, this a horror fic thread why are you posting about economics?

About Sword and sorcery.. have you read Hyperborea cycle by Clark Ashton Smith?
What are your thoughts on it (if you have read it)?

Haven't read it but I just recently got the Penguin Classics edition of Clark's stories. Have;t read it yet.

All those collections are really confusing. Which has the highest amount of good stuff? Is there one that has both Colours out of space and Music of Eric Zann?

Most Lovecraft collections will have pretty much all of his best tales. If you want them all look for "The Complete Fiction".

>Lord of the Flies
>Clockwork Orange
>horror

Does harsh reality frighten you that much, user?

King considered it a horror novel in his Danse Macabre book.

Just read my first Lovecraft, Music of Eric Zann. It sucked.

Try Call of Cthulhu

Why?

Horror doesn't have to be frightening.

Sorry to bash on Barron, who I generally dig, but I couldn't find a single story in Swift to Chase that compared favorably with the best of his previous collections. I fear he's shot his double-barrelled wad.

Haven't read The Fisherman yet. Only his excellent anthol.

The gender tide is turning in Horror. Or at least reaching an overdue equilibrium. Nice to see actually. Broadens the field considerably.

>Currently reading
The Historian, by Kostava (kinda sucks actually. I learned more about vampire folklore in a Dracula seminar in college, and its even more overwrought than Stoker).

When I get too frustrated with that, I'm still making my way through the Vandermeers' mammoth anthol., The Weird

>Want to read
More Aickman, everything I haven't by Philip Dick (which is a lot), and this .

>Favorite book?
Whew lad. Tough one. 5-second response would probably be Suttree. Upon reconsideration I'd likely change my mind and say the Black Sparrow edition of the Collected Stories of Paul Bowles.

Favorite horror novel is easily Naomi's Room by Aycliffe. Scared the living shit out of me, desu.

Anyone read N. by Stephen King? I read it at a young age and it's the only short story that stuck with me.

I feel like there's a lot better women writers in horror then sci-fi or fantasy.

Haven't read it but I've heard it's based off The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen.

Always been that way, for whatever reason. Mary Shelley, Shirley Jackson, Susan Hill, etc.

Yep, and that book's title is from a really great poem.

I don't read enough of either to comment intelligently but off the top of my head I think you're probably right. Ursula LeGuin ranks right up there with the best of bros though.

I remember hearing the first Gothic books readership was mainly women.

And idk if you can measure this, but I'm pretty sure /x/ has the most women then any other board on this site.

And it's really good, that this authors always speaks for themselve's, by their work, proposing new ways to explore the genre and not complain like "Im a female in a patriarchy world, men and society don't wan't that us, the ladies, write horror books" like today

I meant there's more in horror. Le Guin is great but there's very few of writers like her in sci-fi.

Women are pretty constantly praised in horror.

Although horror is definitely a white people field.

Although I keep hearing good things about Alyssa Wong. I have yet to read her stories though.

bump

I made the bump above to take this off the bottom of the catalog so I could actually type this out.

>Currently Reading
Noctuary by Thomas Ligotti. This is the fourth book of his I've read (previously Teatro Grottesco, Grimscribe, and SOADD) and it definitely feels like a transitional phase between the more traditionally influenced horror of his first two books and the abstract, philosophical horror of TG. Some of the stories so far have fallen a bit flat due to being a little too vague in their horror, but it's had its fair share of hits as well. I really liked The Medusa and its obviously Cioran-like protagonist.

>Want to read
Not sure that I'm going to get into any more horror right after this, but I currently have Arthur Machen's Ritual and Other Stories and HD Everett's The Crimson Blind and Other Ghost Stories unread on my shelf. I have a sprawling number of horror lit on my amazon wishlist that will take awhile to get around to.

>Favorite book?
I don't think I could pick an absolute favorite. Every short story collection tends to have weak points and I haven't read a horror novel that's totally blown me away yet. To pick out a few favorite stories:
Algernon Blackwood - The Willows
Robert Aickman - The School Friend
M.R. James - An Episode of Cathedral History
Thomas Ligotti - In a Foreign Town, in a Foreign Land
Nathan Ballingrud - The Good Husband

>More Aickman
I've only read two Aickman collections so far but they were mostly incredible. He seems to have been a master of unsettling implications.

also, here's a general recommendation for a novel I NEVER see mentioned on Veeky Forums. It's occult/religious horror set in the bleak, rainy countryside of England. Definitely worth checking out for fans of more subtle & eerie horror as well as those into the loose subgenre of "folk horror" like The Wicker Man or Picnic at Hanging Rock.

>Although horror is definitely a white people field.

I don't know much horror stories, but I did enjoy some Joe Hill books, specifically Horns and Heart Shaped Box. I recommend him from time to time, but no one really mentions him.

Anybody else read him? Good? Bad?

He's an edition/critic that barely does any fiction writing.

I couldn't get into his novels--not sure why--but I thought his ss collection 20th Century Ghosts rivaled and perhaps even surpassed the best of his father's early anthols (specifically Night Shift, Skeleton Crew and Different Seasons). He's much more literary, which caters to my tastes.

Thanks for that rec. Instant purchase (love it when the hardback is the same price as pb).

>not posting Negarestani

>tfw will never hold hands with my man Aickman
Life is shit.

If horror fiction exists, does horror non-fiction too?

he'd probably just write an oblique story about your aberrant sexuality.

Books about serial killers and such, I guess

He's a meme

>Jerusalem's Lot (again)

>Splattered (indie vampire book recommended by a friend)

>The Gentleman From America

See: True Crime

Ghost stories are universal.

True, all horror is pretty much folklore.

Case in point, Beloved is considered magic realism although it really is a ghost story. Borges even wrote a Cthulhu Mythos story.

Currently reading some Ligotti?

Is there any reason this guy wasn't published in more mainstream literary journals rather then Lovecraftian fanzines? His work is pretty great.