Anyone here read this? I'm about halfway through right now, and honestly it's really fucking good...

Anyone here read this? I'm about halfway through right now, and honestly it's really fucking good. Maybe the best I've read from Vollmann yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CrVE-WQBcYQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Vollman should get the Nobel

Unfortunately I've only read an excerpt, but it was brilliant. Thanks for reminding me to purchase this. What other of Vollman's works are worth it?

Is this a good place to with Vollmann?

I love you

Whores for Gloria

Agreed

Honestly, all the books I've read by Vollmann have been worth it. The two Seven Dreams novels I've read are fucking spectacular, The Dying Grass being my favorite, only slightly ahead of Fathers and Crows. Whores for Gloria was good as well, and is a novella, so it is a good place to start. The Royal Family is probably the one that fans disagree on the most. I loved it, but some find it too long.

See above

Oh shit someone who likes vollmann other than me? Where the fuck have you been. What have you read? Europe central was great.

I listed all that I've read so far in an above comment.

I love Vollmann, I wish more people would give him a chance. He's clearly a crazy motherfucker, but he's also a genius. He's as good as almost anyone at changing the tone to fit the character and their surroundings. Also, when am author puts and amazingly written, relevant essay in the middle of their novel, I'm sold.

My man good stuff. Read risen angels and the ice shirt. I love how the skinheads that he wrote about in rainbow stories all thought his story was shit and he was a shit author haha.

Vollman is practically spammed here, what the hell are you on about

That's me spamming haha

I haven't read that one yet. I'll probably go for Argall next, maybe Imperial. Have you read either of those two?

Almost this.
You can't name Pynchon without someone bringing up Vollman around here.

Not yet. I never find his books and I usually only order a few times a year, but I always order a vollmann. I have his abridged rising up to read next. But he says it's shit. The whole collection is so expensive though.

Fuuuck i thought that was a picture of Gabe at first

Yeah, I want to get that eventually. I just don't have the money right now. That and Women and Men. Fucking dicks need to be printing both of those.

Did you read The Dying Grass? I thought it was amazing, I'm actually surprised he didn't win anything but I imagine that's because nobody had time to read it by then.

Yeah it was really good. I like ice shirt better though. But I might be biased because that was the first book I read from him. I hate how these faggots here talk shit because he's ugly lol. I want pic related for my coffee table.

>I hate how these faggots here talk shit because he's ugly lol.
You really love to say this. It's getting irritating.

Once it stops I'll stop. It's 2017 why the fuck you people still bullying people.

This isn't happening. You're just really excited about Vollman. You're like a newlywed, you're sickening to everyone but your partner.

As with every book by him it is full of peaks and valleys. I could have done with about 1/3 less of the scenes of Shostakovich getting pressured by the NKVD. That said, the Kathe Kollwitz stuff was great, the Paulus and sleepwalker sections were great, and the relationship stuff with Elana was moving more often than it was tedious. A pretty good book with some fine prose, but it ain't no Rainbow Stories.

I fucking love him

It doesnt happen, I've never seen anyone do it but you, and its obvious that you post every Vollman thread. People talk shit because he doesnt know how to structure a sentence, and his paragraphs look like he wrote them with lipstick on a mirror and then punched it.

Well said.

I'll get you for this

People who love him also can't describe anything about his work.

> He's great because he's great
> Disagree that he's great because he's great? You haven't read him!

Are you the guy who kept saying this last time and ignoring the three people writing essays worth of reasons while you kept repeating the same shit like an autist?

Let's make it easy for you.

WHAT IS EUROPE CENTRAL ABOUT?

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE VOLLMAN'S WRITING STYLE?

Europe Central sounds like if Gravity's Rainbow were written by someone from Time Magazine or maybe even Vox/Buzzfeed.

>HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE VOLLMAN'S WRITING STYLE?

youtube.com/watch?v=CrVE-WQBcYQ

Where would one start with Vollmann's bibliography?

I just read his paris review and he seems fascinating

In Europe Central his actual structure and writing are somewhat more clear.

It seems that as he cranks out po-mo doorstops he is becoming more and more experimental, you could use actual chronological release as a good gauge.

Holy shit it totally is that guy that keeps saying the same shit. Just read one of his books guy, you'll know if you like it or not, you dont have to come to us for reassurance. goddamn just read a book.

did you start with Fathers and Crows in the Seven Dreams series? I ask because I want to start the series and wondering if I should do it in order.

The order doesn't matter. I read The Dying Grass first, as that was the first one I found at a bookstore. From what I understand, each one is written in a different style, and they are set years apart, so just start with whichever one seems most interesting to you.

> LOL JUST DIVE IN AND COMMIT TO A REALLY REALLY LONG BOOK
> I WONT TELL YOU WHAT ITS ABOUT THOUGH XD

Look up a summary?
You don't need to commit to anything. Read until you don't want to.
Do you honestly need to be told these things?

He is the LGBTBBQ response to BolaƱo.
Prove me wrong

Don't shill him and expect people to blindly accept that he's good and worth reading without having anything to say about him.

I don't see what's so interesting about him that wasn't done already and better by Pynchon and Matthiessen.

I have europe central and butterfly stories.
What should i read first?

I think Vollman is rancid dogshit. I was the one calling out his shilling earlier.
There's just so much wrong with that post it made me sick.

I'm the one that made the post. I asked if others have read it. I wasn't trying to convince anyone to. I definitely wasn't trying to have perhaps the biggest retard on this board post the same shit he does in every Vollmann thread trying to troll, despite having been given paragraphs of information about the books. If you're too fucking stupid to look it up yourself, or to just read the fucking book, hide the thread and move on.

Okay, what about him is shit?

Summaries don't really make it sound appealing and they talk about his style.

Europe Central
> dude, authoritarianism is bad and lots of characters

The Dying Grass
> guys, colonialism is terrible and lots of pages

Basically, I can't get it out of my head that this guy decided to smoke crack, cross dress and suck dick so he could not feel guilty about exploiting the prostitutes he wrote about to convey his fucking facile themes that I'm already being fed every time I read contemporary journalism.

Just tell me he's not a hack white knight.

brah
havent you heard
there is
L I T E R A L L Y
nothing wrong
with
sucking
COCK

You do realize how pathetic you come across, right? He's critically acclaimed for a reason. He won the National Book Award for a reason. Stop begging lit to sell novels to you, read them yourself and come up with your own opinion. You're the reason this board is now shit. You add absolutely nothing to the discussion and you're too scared to read any book over 300 pages that doesn't appear on the shitty top 100 list every year. Go read you fucking autist.

Assuming you're the same guy, of course.

>i am buttblasted

What do you mean? Bolano had several lgbt characters. Vollmann too because a lot of his work covers those on the edge of society and most tend to be gay or whatever.

>You do realize how pathetic you come across, right? He's critically acclaimed for a reason

Doesn't mean shit. Lots of people have been critically acclaimed """""""for a reason""""" and then forgotten.

> Stop begging lit to sell novels to you
I'm merely asking that when you shill, do it well.

> you're too scared to read any book over 300 pages that doesn't appear on the shitty top 100 list every year

It's a waste of time to chase after meme novels. Don't turn this board into /mu/. You can't shill a novel terribly and then justify it by saying "you're just too scared to read this book of which I have nothing to say."

> Go read you fucking autist.

How do I read a fucking autist?

At least reddit doesn't spend 1000 pages to get that point across.

he is probably talking about Vollman crossdressing.

You forgot he's also ugly as all fuck.

Meme novels Hahahaha

All your credibility is lost.

> can't say anything of what he likes about Vollman novels
> gets mad when people rightly characterize his work as a "meme"

burden of proof is on you

>3.5 on goodreads
I don't think so

You must be new to goodreads. For you, I recommend reading the goodreads top rated novels of all time, they should fit into your normal rotation just fine.

Kek

Should I read You Bright and Risen Angels?