GRE General thread

GRE General thread

Currently studying for the GRE. Curious how you guys pushed through the hours studying and how you studied.

>Major
>Time spent preparing for the GRE
>Score
>Tips for people taking it

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By9jKmOK17EVZmxsZ1BBX2J3enM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Major
Geoscience
2-4 hours a day for about a month
>Score
Yet to take. Scored a 151V/153Q on a practice test before studying
Practice problems are key. I suggest

>tips

Posted before proofreading comment. Definitely buy a book of practice problems, like the McGraw Hill "5lb book of GRE practice problems" and just knocking out a chapter per day. It's more about being familiar with topics rather than having a deep knowledge in them.

My biggest issue was verbal. Math came easily because it was conceptual. Vocab was difficult because most of the words I'm reviewing I've never seen and it's more of a pain to learn

Just took mine a few days ago! Got 162 V / 160 Q / hope to get at least a 4 on writing

I recommend getting the ETS official GRE guide, plus the Manhattan Prep 5-lb book of practice problems.

I spent about 5 weeks preparing, but only about 3 hours/day average. Wish I spent more time practicing my writing though. The entire list of writing topics is available on the GRE website for you to read through and practice thinking about the 'pros and cons' of each.

Remember, the GRE is basically a test of your problem solving and general intelligence. It's not a subject-matter test about math and english!

For the vocab (which is where I spent the most time studying), look up the Magoosh GRE verb list on Quizlet. Over 1400 words to study from! Also, don't try to memorize the definitions of each word - think about which words have similar meanings and can be used interchangeably, since the GRE verbal is about 'filling in the blanks' and using context cues to arrive at the best choice answer.

Best of luck, OP!

>Major
Post Bacc
40 hours
>Score
V-160 Q-160 A-5.5
Get a private tutor. Also, have a spare $2000 for said private tutor.

I was a ChemE

I spent about 5hrs total studying for it.

164 quant 168 reading

My tips is to just focus on what you're bad at. First take a practice test then work on your weakest subject.

>math/econ major
>worked through a practice book and did 3 practice tests and a few more practices for the writing, maybe 25 hours
>170V/169Q/5.5W
>just have a high IQ desu

So, yanks, what's the point of GRE test?

t. not a yank.

It has several purposes:
1. Weed out english 2nd language applicants that are good at Quants but can't speak english. This is important because labs without proficient english speakers tend to put out sub-par papers in terms of writing and discourse.
2. Weed-out people who might have good memorization skills but subpar quantitative skills.
3. Feed the jew.

The last point kinda sucks, huh?
Anyways, thanks for the concise explanation.

>>Major
computer science
>>Time spent preparing for the GRE
took a practice test the night before
>>Score
166 verbal, 164 quant
>>Tips for people taking it
don't be a brainlet

I'm almost done my 2nd year of undergrad, should I be studying for these?

It's never too early. The test lasts for like 5 years also.

>Computer """Science"""
>7 weeks, started at like 2-3 hours a day for the first few weeks but brought it down to like an hour a day (besides practice test days)
>168Q/163V
>Tips
Look at the study habits of 330+ scorers. Usually you'll notice one of two things:
1) they probably just ran through the ETS book, maybe focused on their weak points then aced the test
2) they followed an autistic 1-2 month long study plan and grinded their way to a good score.
Those study plans are easily found if you google and they're all borderline identical, follow their example.

Went in blind and got 168/167. You shouldn't need to prepare much.

took with zero study
166 verbal
164 quant
4 writing
gl
probably should have gotten a book but couldnt be bothered, oh well

>ChemEng
>1-2 hours a day for two months
>168V/170Q
>Tips:
It's a subject test, not an intelligence test. Ignore what brainlets tell you, since my score on practice tests were in the 150 range when starting out.

Exactly. GRE focuses on general intellect and problem-solving, not subject matter.

Nah, not yet. Should only take about a month or two to study for it. But go ahead and find a GRE vocab list and see which words you haven't already learned yet. The math only requires basic algebra/probability/geometry.

Right now, just focus on your u-grad classes and bulking up that CV.

>major
Chem
>Time spent Preparing
3-4 hours every other day for about a month and a half.
>Score
164 Q, 162 V, 4 Analytical Writing
>Tips
I dunno. I forgot that there was a writing section until the day before... So don't forget about it?

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but is it worth going to Burgerland for undergrad school?

Oi, international shit-tier undergrad here, just started sophomore year in Physics.
Thinking of taking GRE General And Physics tests this summer. Any advise ?
I've been using AnkiDroid 1000 vocab pack and currently doing daily reviews. Physics does not seem that hard, mainly memorization of the basic principles.

It's only worth it if all of these are true:
1) if someone else is paying for it
2) you get into an elite school
3) you know what you want to study
4) you know you can finish in 4 years without interruptions.
5) You know that your degree will be recognized in your home country (chances are it will be difficult to find a job in the U.S., even after grad school)

TFW Jews make the GRE test & corrupt Jews cheat by buying the answers beforehand.

First three I can know beforehand but how do I know if the last two are true beforehand?

studied physics, class of 2011 (top 10 us uni)
been working in industry for 6 years
barely study (

I passed my physics one class with an A-, and my physics 2 class with a B+, but I still feel like a massive brainlet, what's a rigorous book that covers all those topics?

>tfw only impressive score is on the writing section
>the section that matters the least
I suppose it could be worse.

>how do I know if the last two are true beforehand?
4) For four year completions, you can get transfer credit assessed and figure out comprehensive plans with advisors at the school you're going to even before you get accepted. Rule of thumb for STEM degrees, if you have no transfer credit, you probably won't be able to complete your degree in 4 years.
In terms of interruptions, it's about knowing yourself. If you have a pattern of quitting on obligations, I wouldn't recommend going abroad for school. Obviously you can't plan ahead for things like medical emergencies that would put you behind, but that type of self-evaluation is helpful. Also keep in mind that you're going to be far away from your parents and friends in a different country with very different rules and customs with no virtually no support net whatsoever. It might be hard to make friends, especially if your English is poor. I'm not trying to discourage you, but homesickness is real and can hit hard, especially if you're under a lot of stress (American undergrad at elite schools isn't as easy as everyone memes about).
5) I'm pretty sure you could check with whatever labor bureau equivalent you have in your home country? It would be largely dependent on what you're studying.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By9jKmOK17EVZmxsZ1BBX2J3enM

Here are some resources for those taking the test

I'm doing preliminary research into this.

I want to go to grad school for quantitative finance, but I haven't seen mention of a requirement of the mathematics subject test. Is it usually required for financial mathematics programs? Is it worth to take it even if schools don't ask for it, just to have on the application?

Different user but is it worth going to burgerland for grad school?
It's kind of my goal atm to go to MIT

Yes.

>drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By9jKmOK17EVZmxsZ1BBX2J3enM

nice thanks

lol GRE is the biggest meme

General GRE as a junior is okay. You will get brutally raped on the physics GRE with only two years of physics. Need some of that mathematical physics, quantum, and E&M especially(what I was lacking as a first semester junior when I foolishly took it). Doing every problem out of a text on the level of Giancoli is what most professors at my uni recommend though.

What resources did you study user? Congrats by the way!

lmao studying for the general GRE

A meme way of stating it, but yea, a lot of money is made off the GRE.

>Major
Microbiology

uh 15 hours total maybe? Didn't take it too seriously

>Score
160 (math)/158 (English), 5/7 on the written portion. Doesn't matter though I said fucked it to masters/PhD and decided to become a clinical lab scientist canceling my interviews with UCs

vocab is horseshit so make sure you spend your time on that the most. Outside of that the time crunch is a problem, make sure to practice math don't meme out and think just because it's piss easy you'll have enough time

>virus detected

kek

Never trust a link from this site