What year do you think immo

Immortality will be discovered. Basically what year do you think if youre alive that year you'll live forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ezT7P970Bw4
youtu.be/5zHyUI13NDg
youtube.com/watch?v=2jlaE_8zcMU&t=27s
youtube.com/watch?v=S0k8xDtHnNM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No it won't. You will die and no one cares. Get over it already.

Interested in this too. I am in my early 20s now, hope to still be alive when shit gets real with genetic engineering. I mean they are having new breakthroughs all the time and generally there seem to be breakthroughs in healing age related diseases etc.

They surely must be able to implement it into humans in a couple of decades, no?

Btw by 'it' I mean any of the hormones that put cell's back into the embryo state for example.

Mid 2030's; depending on how society goes in the 2020's it will either cost a billion dollars or it will be completely free.

But, You probably Do Not understand what you want and are asking for. I'd tell anyone who wants immortality as a human to watch the movie Zardoz. It is a cautionary tale of what could happen to immortal humans. So, in a 1,000+ years of life you have Seen Everything, Heard Everything, Know Everything, Experienced Everything, Explored Everything. There is nothing left And, then what?

Immortality sounds very appealing when there is a cap on life that seems way too short. But, remember to examine the purpose of Life, and how bored you may be with it. I doubt anyone will seriously want to be around longer than a 1,000 years.

youtube.com/watch?v=ezT7P970Bw4

Unlikely everyone above 5 will see it in action.
At least, see it in action "fairly".

Until humans reach a post-scarcity society, immortality will be given out unfairly to the rich elites of the world.
Some might think that is a good think since they create jobs.
I mean, fuck, it's billionaires that are backing taking humans out of a scarcity-driven society by funding space mining with their own money and sometimes expertise.
However, some see it as corrupt. Why should the financial lottery give you more importance over others? Simple, genetic lottery also gives you more importance over some too. Life isn't fair. Deal with it.

As we are right now, we are capable of preventing a lot of age-related damage to the body.
We are beginning to crack how the genome works in totality.
We have even begun to inject functional genes in to animals using stuff like cas9.
cas9 is almost like a compiler being created for a computer you never knew the architecture for.
It has opened a whole new avenue of gene editing. Not only that, EASY gene editing. It works scarily well.
50~ years we will begin to see the fruits of this labor, if humanity doesn't end up in a resource war by then, or catastrophic natural disaster ends us.

>1000 years would do everything.and become bored.
This isn't true. You eventually forget a lot of stuff that wasn't important to you a decade ago and redo it from scratch. There is also the fact that within the 1000 years of living that new things that weren't around a 1000 years ago will come out and you will get to do them.

If you got truly bored you could then make your own new thing to master. The idea of running out of things to do, only works if you are basically a God that can do everything without trying.

>Only the rich elite will get it.
>You make more money and achieve more status making it cheaper for any decent person to get and also life extension payments.
What did he mean by this?

Obviously I mean starting off.
They will have a monopoly over it for a period.
The chances of it coming to the general population before post-scarcity are... scarce.
A rapid population growth like that would be awful for society with limited resources.

It would need to be done in a way that prevented immortality being passed on to children.
Given how our genetics work, that's going to be extremely hard. Much harder than just curing death, that is easy compared to preventing it being passed on.
Mind you, I think I remember reading a cas9 experiment that prevented changed genes being passed on. So it might already be solved.
But there is an issue there, that was one group of cells. Genetic immortality needs EVERY cell to be immortal otherwise cancer risk explodes through the roof. Even an age differential between ORGANS in your body causes severe issues with long-term health.
Common one is digestive tract being older than the rest of your body due to damage from pro-inflammatory foods. That's the reason for an explosion in cancer over those various organs.
Still not as simple, unfortunately.

>not taking up a new LIFE every few thousand years
I don't even mean careers or anything. I mean full-on transplant to a new identity and method of living, but with memory intact.

I pretty much agree with this.
1000 years is not nearly enough time to master every skill in this world.

why would I want to stay here??

The year after you die

Assuming I retain my memory of everything, I don't think immortality would be that bad. Even if you could theoretically "do everything", you would probably stick to what you enjoy most out of your plentiful experiences.

The greatest goal after immortality is working a way to fight heat death.

>genetic engineering
Do you honestly think you'll transform an aryan transhuman Chad in this lifetime? Maybe your kids will but you'll still be stuck as an uggo. Our technology isn't advanced enough that will alter pre-existing genes of mature cells for the sake of cosmetics.

Doesn't brain have finite resource? Synapses form one way, what will happen when there's no space for them anymore?

>Being this delusional

You're going to die, like everyone in your family tree, and your kids and your kids kids and so on until one of your kids kids^n'th generation fucks shit up so bad population count drops to 0

>So, in a 1,000+ years of life you have Seen Everything, Heard Everything, Know Everything, Experienced Everything, Explored Everything. There is nothing left And, then what?
I'm already like that. It's only a proof that consumerism is nigger culture.

Sure thing Rick.

How fucking arrogant one has to be to presume knowing what if would feel like to be 1000+ years old.

Besides, the option of suicide will always be there so stop trying to make longevity seem bad.

You understand that it works with everything like this? The rich make it affordable for us commoners. Just take the cellphone as an example. It was probably thousands of dollars when they were still brick sized and years later everybody was able to afford cellphones because of the high demand.
Also just save/invest until then? Every idiot can retire with a couple hundred k. Just don't spend your money on useless crap.

Not hormones, we already know to make stem cells using transcription factors.

>deathism

With bioprinting and all that becoming real plastic surgery will probably get to the next level (printing new jaw bones etc.). But I am not even that uggo, I would rather just get my aging reversed or get my brain into a new cloned turbochad body since I will be old by then.

Btw in probably a decade organ cloning or printing or whatever will be implemented in humans (already successful in mice I heard), cancer research is making progress too...same with brain damage and a lot of other things. Life expectancy will probably rise by a lot, no matter what.

Never going to happen -
The human brain is far too complex and subject to change and necessary decay.

>we'll never have planes
>we'll never have a man in orbit

Why do so many normies say "hurr durr I wouldn't want to live forever"? Is it just coping?

>im not like the other boys/girls

guess that's why they kicked you out of heaven huh

Just imagine how complex printing a body is though, if we could do so before we're dead then it would probably be piece by piece, and many of those pieces would have to be fit to your brain structure. It would probably be like building a fleet of state of the art military jets in regards to cost and personnel.

never. humanity will wipe itself out long before this.

>What year do you think
Also, how old are you currently?

stop crushing my hopes senpai

2030s, 26

About five minutes after I drop dead.

Well, lets think.
Chances are, nearly everyone here is above-average in intelligence. However, I have my doubts that people here are especially charismatic or hard-working. That being said, the average here will probably end up with middle or upper-middle class living.
Next, I'm about certain, assuming you're of above-average health and can pay for the healthcare, that we'll live to about 120 naturally, considering the speed medicine and technology are progressing.
I always hear that the medicine and biotechnology will be advanced enough for us to achieve immortality by about 2035, but it seems incredibly unrealistic that this stuff would be priced for the average consumer at release. Likely, only the elite of the elite could afford it. Even if it was easy to produce (and the people behind it were so charitable as to not be greedy with their newfound monopoly) there would have to be some kind of government intervention to prevent the skyrocketing birthrate.
So fuck it, lets imagine a hypothetical scenario maybe 10-20 years after the technology and medicine was created. Perhaps laws have been created that people living through immortality can't have children, as to keep the birthrate level. I like to think by then the treatment would be breaking the bank, but possible with hefty savings on one person's 90k or so salary. Maybe I'll achieve immortality as a 50-60 year old man. Of course, this is all assuming this shit will even happen. We should probably just assume we'll die like our ancestors.
Tl;dr, get a sweet job, ignore the female jew and save your cash and maybe you'll be saved before you die and live another couple centuries to fuck your virtual wife.

>people were wrong about something in the past so that means anything is possible, let's just ignore all the times they were right lol epic meme post upvoted and shared

This.

Biological immortality, there are a few issues.

Let's not fuck around, given a real choice you'd want to be stacy

>, but it seems incredibly unrealistic that this stuff would be priced for the average consumer at release.
Why? Supply and demand. Something being very useful doesn't mean it'll be prohibitively expensive if it's cheap to produce, we have no idea what it'll cost to produce

Doesn't necessarily have to be expensive. Just look at how cheap crispr is for example. It depends on what will give us immortality. Btw in business high prices don't necessarily mean more profit, especially if there is very high demand. Businesses calculate the optimal price point. So don't worry and if it's very expensive to produce the elites will take the hit for us first and with skyrocketing demand it will become affordable. Let's just pray that government doesn't fuck it up for us with regulations nobody needs.

Even the optimal price point will be lowered... human nature won't allow a monopoly on immortality

there's an assumption I think that everyone is making with this immortality.

from my current understanding of biology.
and what immortality functionally means.

I agree that the rich will only be able to afford it. but not becuase the immorality procedure, will be expensive particularly.

but you know what doesn't know when to die?
Cancer.
So I get the feeling that people who get to be immortal, will be spending a lot more in migitaging the massive amounts of cancer coursing through your body.
And its not like you can just bip cancer away once.
at first you maybe able to bip cancer away every 100 years and be fine, but I think the cancer would end up gaining in exponential power, so by the time you are 20,000 years old you have to get cancer treatments like every 15 minutes.
Could see a lot of rich fuckers wasting their fortunes away on such a selfish indulgence.

also I think theres some parllels between a human and a laptop battery as well.
I mean sure you can live to be immortal but eventually the conductive-ness in your circuits are going to wear out, and you are going to require alot more energy or some external source of power to get you going.

I think if immortality is acheived the ones who will live the longest will probably fat blobs with a bunch of cancer spots and boils all over.
Kinda like the cancer monster in Akira

Isn't cancer to be cured soon? Read something about making the immune system aware of cancer with CRISPR I think. Could be wrong tho, I know nothing about this stuff, so no bully pls.
>also I think theres some parllels between a human and a laptop battery as well.
I mean sure you can live to be immortal but eventually the conductive-ness in your circuits are going to wear out, and you are going to require alot more energy or some external source of power to get you going.
No problem. We just have to survive until bionic bodys and brain transplants become a thing.

No cancer will take a lot longer than immortality to fix. But that other user made a ton of wrong assumptions

Really? Whats the problem with fixing cancer? Just curious

After years of shitposting. i can now tell who is just blowing smoke and who actually has some real talk.

usually just saying someones wrong, without and back up usually means they are just being contrarian, for whatever reason.

but I am curious what assumptions am I making
and what makes you think they are assumptions?

Cancer and ageing are very closely intertwined. They both result from the mutations that accumalate over the course of a life span. Cancer just results from mutations to genes with specific functions, such as regulation of the cell cycle, whereas ageing in general is caused by an accumalation of deleterious mutations across all genes.

Since this is the case I would imagine cancer would be "cured" first since you would have to deal with less mutations in less cells. To stop ageing you would need find a way of correcting every bad mutation in every gene of every cell, or at least every stem cell, and it would be an ongoing process since new ones pop up all the time. You would also need to know what to change to make for each mutation. Technology that would allow for this is so far from existing that it isn't even worth thinking about.

I should add that we could potentially slow ageing down by finding a way to activate in adults the "anti-ageing" mechanisms that exist in embryonic cells, such as telomerase (stops the telomeres shortening) and high fidelity DNA polymerases (causes a lot less mutations from DNA replication).

I thought ageing had to do with the breakdown of telomeres during the cell division process

in addition to general mutation

Yes the telomeres shorten with each division but that's alot easier to fix than general mutations. As I mentioned there is an enzyme active in embryos which stops this from happening.

I don't know about immortality, but if you're a young dude in the developed world today, there's a good chance you're making it over 100. Provided you're not an amerilard, of course.

youtu.be/5zHyUI13NDg

Interesting talk for anybody interested

>tfw you die on your way to buy immortality
next thing we'll try to find a way to bring back the dead, r-right guys?

Time Travel,

This concept basically, minus the shit tier Blade Runner BS:

youtube.com/watch?v=2jlaE_8zcMU&t=27s

But, you'd need to pop the person out with a perfect copy , like in Millennium, or you'd fuck with the timeline from people wondering where the person/body went.

youtube.com/watch?v=S0k8xDtHnNM