Anyone else fry their brains with drugs?

I'm a little worried about my past drug use and how it's affecting my ability to perform complex cognitive tasks. I was a coke head, drinker, and pothead for a couple years and I just recently stopped. Now I'm going back to university to get a math degree. I used to be really smart, and took advanced math and science classes in HS, but I'm concerned I've sucked any talent I might have had out of brain through my drug use. Anyone here have any recovery stories about using drugs and later going on to become successful at science/math.

Unless you have actual mental disorders, THC won't leave lasting effects in that regard.
Coke, probably. Drinking, maybe?

Good to know. I'm most worried about coke.

Drinking definitely does, and so does weed.

Everything I've read suggests weed doesn't permanently affect your brain (assuming full maturity starting in your mid-20's)

Doesn't history say that a lot of notable people used drugs? If people can do great things on them I'm sure a brain off them would do....we'll....better?

psh nah dude your fine dw bout it

im a little confused aswell, why would worrying about it do anything at all for you? especially if it were true

Well i want to know if I'll be at a severe disadvantage compared to my peers. If so, that will affect the pace at which i move

That's the issue. I used all these drugs in my early 20s and late teens

Which people/which drugs?

Not him, but Freud was a coke addict, which actually explains a lot.

drinking will mess up some complex thinking, i used to smoke pot when studying which i think helped but developed some kind of state dependent memory. good luck with the coke thing though.

I went through that OCD "what if something's wrong with my brain / body" phase in my early 20s too, OP. You'll realize it's just a phase and not anything serious when you get a little older and get hit with your first actual chronic medical problems. It's night and day when you look back at hypochondria shit and compare it to the real thing. I wish I still had imaginary problems.

Not him, but I'm 24 and have suffered with health anxiety pretty badly for the past few years. I do have many health issues like allergies, asthma, and a few other autoimmune things that aren't pressing or worsening. I abused DXM (cough medicine, never the kind containing added ingredients) at moderate doses 5 days a week for 5 different periods of 3 months within the span of 4 years when I was 17-21. Yeah, escapism, it was retarded, I know.

I get into such a spiral of thinking I screwed my brain up doing that, and then start wondering if my anxiety issues are possibly due to that damage. Did you actually participate in at risk behavior or talk to a doctor? I'm scared to consult mine both because they will know I was such an idiot, but also they will likely brush it off as though it were nothing and I would have more obvious effects if it did me harm.

I don't know what to do. I read piracetam or something can help reverse supposed olneys lesions or brain damage, but I'm worried that could make the anxiety worse. I workout every day and eat healthy, and get 8 hours of sleep per night.

thanks. did you have a drug problem as well? also, what do you do now?

The brain is neuroplastic. Some damage may have been irreversible, but as long as you study hard, keep your brain active, keep our body healthy, and stay away from drugs, you will see cognitive improvement over a long period of time

Yeah, this is my hope. I just have moments where I can't solve a problem and I have OCDesque thoughts about how its because of this and that drug I overused.

this is what I'm hoping for
Me too, I get very nervous when I feel like a word or memory is at the tip of my tongue for hours. I also feel like my very short term memory sucks... can never remember if I locked my door, turned off the oven, took my vitamins this morning etc. I think it is just because they are more muscle-memory tasks and I'm just not paying attention.

I did a shit ton of drugs in highschool and I was really smart (both parents were math majors).

And the biggest problem for me coming back to academia was that I hadnt used my brain is sooooo long!

Did you ever come back to school after summer (lets say 8th grade) and you find that you write slower, read slower, and make more mistakes while taking notes? This always happened to me, but it would go away after about a month.

You are going to experience this to a much greater extent, but it WILL go away after about 6 months.

I was worrried too, but now I am generally the top of all my classes since I got back into the swing of things.

damn this is good to know. Thanks

I'm pained to say I used DXM when I was 19 too. I was depressed (I'm guessing you were), and I'm pretty sure I developed anxiety and hypochondria due to it. There were times in my life when I was in a public setting and I suddenly couldn't function, so I had to lie down because I was convinced I had tumors in my brain or abdomen (lol). I've used additional drugs which I won't bother listing.

It's pointless to worry about the past. You can and should make the best decisions for yourself from this day forward, and it sounds like you're already doing that. You should be thankful you recognized your wrongdoing and stopped yourself from letting your self-harm spiral out of control.

I'm currently 27 and I'm doing really well in my comp sci courses. If anything, hypochondria helped me because I now exercise and eat healthier than I probably would have if I wasn't so worrisome.

>do LSD once and only once
>IQ goes up 20 points, generally happy all the time, give good advices to people and they happy too
>take LSD again
>become spooky
>everything goes to shit
>IQ 5 less than origin

reddit fag

Coke and alcohol are both neurotoxic, the former pretty greatly so, especially if you've overdosed. My grades dropped significantly when I got into that in high school. I regret it, all of it. Just don't do it while attending school (or ever). Part of it is that it's higher education so it's generally going to be more complex than in HS.

I drink to cope with the stress, but my cognitive function is impaired even from a hangover.

when did you turn things around, and if its not too personal, what drugs did you do?

Erdős did amphetamines all the time

I started binge-drinking (not too often) when I was 16 and I started smoking weed when I was 18. I free-based heroin, smoked salvia, and tripped on mushrooms several times apiece when I was 19-20. I probably drank at least a bottle of DXM 30 times in a span of eight months. When I was 23 I mixed pieces of xanax with booze probably 10 times. From 24-26, I did ecstasy and acid roughly 15 times each, and coke about 10 times. I stopped smoking weed and everything else about half a year ago. I rarely drink anymore too. Life is sad when your confidence is crushed and you have little to live for.

So to answer your question, it took me almost a decade to turn things around, and I feel pretty damn good. Good diet and exercise will make a world of difference. Mindset and passion is key too. I'm always reading and trying to memorize/recite facts and that is a tried-and-true method to improving your cognition.

Do I regret it? Mostly, but I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't do all that stupid stuff. I'm thankful I don't feel retarded.

fuck this is what i needed to hear. Thanks user.

Between 16 and 19 I smoked pot daily, for a few months I did coke a few times a week, took acid once a week, got drunk every day for about 3 months, and chuted a few grams of molly.

I used to be in the top 3 of my class in standardized testing without any real effort, had a pretty acute memory, and could quickly understand novel information.

It's definitely dulled now, don't really have the same depth of thought and intuition, I really have to pay attention to absorb information, memory is pretty cloudy. Drug abuse definitely fucks up your brain. Healthy habits and sobriety could sharpen you back up in the long run, I don't think there''s any kind of irreparable genetic damage, but you'll definitely be knocked down a few pegs. Try go get in great shape, lots of blood flow to the brain will help get that edge back.

Guy who posted the dxm post, thanks for your response and advice. I was depressed, yes, and actually getting healthy was due to my hypochondria as well. Glad to know I'm not alone, that you turned your life around, and that you are doing well user.