Phychology Experiments

I just learned of the MIlgram Experiment which concluded that the majority of people would actively torture someone if told to by an authority figure. Most finished the experiment even as the victim pled for mercy, yelled a warning about his heart condition and then fell alarmingly silent. also female participants were just as likely as males to finish the experiment.

youtube.com/watch?v=ek4pWJ0_XNo

Anyone know of other obscure phycology experiments, perhaps with unexpected results?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Study
io9.gizmodo.com/how-rats-turned-their-private-paradise-into-a-terrifyin-1687584457
gizmodo.com/mice-prefer-videos-of-fighting-to-videos-of-sex-but-the-1758751162
youtube.com/watch?v=JbTkdqYivuw
youtube.com/watch?v=qEEEu1HEtU0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Milgram experiment
>obscure
Pick one.
Next you'll be amazed at the stanford prison experiment

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair

Or Pavlov's dog experiments. Or maybe about these crazy unknown psychologists like Freud or Jung.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Study
Not psychology but speech therapy

>the majority of people would actively torture someone if told to by an authority figure
I would do so without authority figure's orders if I had a choice to do this without consequences though.

Why the fuck would you want to do that?

Because I generally dislike people, wish them suffering with revenge and feel more connection to nature, hence why I have an interest in science and philosophy and am almost totally reclusive, my dear anonymous friend.

>After 30 days, the "total isolates", as they were called, were found to be "enormously disturbed". After being isolated for a year, they barely moved, did not explore or play, and were incapable of having sexual relations. When placed with other monkeys for a daily play session, they were badly bullied. Two of them refused to eat and starved themselves to death.
damn, imagine what 23 years of near total isolation would do to a soul...

y-you wouldn't torture me would you user?

>imagine
I'm sure a lot of people already know how it feels.

you're a bit of a fucking nut job, aren't you user?

I wouldn't do that if I like you. And I probably don't.
I consider myself normal right now. I was "the weird kid" from until 10th grade up until the end of first year of uni but I'm perfectly sane right now.

Really, just watch the ken burns Vietnam documentary that just came out on pbs. I dont know how to put it well, but it has everything to do with this. Lots of soldiers over there had no idea what they were doing, or why, but they did it anyway. Some spooky stories in that doc, officer murder, rape, etc... And people were pretty much told to just go along with it even when they brought it up. "This is what happens in war"

God damn I want to puke. Fuck that guy.

he did these "experiments" after his wife died and he got depressed, then became obsessed with making other creatures severely depressed and suicidal. pretty selfish piece of shit.

edge so sharp you could slit your wrists with it

lol you're a faggot

Antisociality and edginess are related but distinct concepts.

Nobody cares about what you were like at any point of your life you fucking faggot

Were you bit smarter, you would see that the aim of my post was purely expressive, not seeking external care. I couldn't care less if anyone cared about that or not.

Fantastic, you illuminated yourself to be a gigantic faggot. Im happy you got a bit of that faggotry out of your system.

On the contrary, I would say that people that have an optimistic view on humanity are faggots. Which, seeing your reaction, probably covers you as well.

>not seeking external care

Then why the fuck are you telling us you were the wierd kid at some point in your life? Youre a faggot.

stop posting you attention seeker, you're derailing this very serious thread with your faggotry

Wtf does that have to do with your angst ridden expression of faggotry?

why the homophobia

Mice experiments are always fun

io9.gizmodo.com/how-rats-turned-their-private-paradise-into-a-terrifyin-1687584457

>faggot
Why the homophobia?

I remember once when I was watching top.gear, Jeremy Clarkson said there was a nazi experiment where a female monkey and it's child were put in a room where the floor got increasing hot until it was skin meltingly hot. For a while the mother kept holding its baby so it would be safe, but when it got so unbearably hot the mother would eventually put the baby on the ground and then stand on it

clarkson bullshits a lot. great show though. or it was, at least.

That was the joke...

I've always liked this one, but I hate pseuds that try to extrapolate from this to human society.

>Obscure

Redditoddler you have to go back

How many times has the milgram experiment's results reproduced? How about the Stanford prison experiment?

Psychology is a meme science.

gizmodo.com/mice-prefer-videos-of-fighting-to-videos-of-sex-but-the-1758751162

>Given the choice between sex and fighting, the mice spent 40 percent of their time in the fighting theater and only 35 percent of their time in the sex theater.

>Soon the researchers found that mice who had been given morphine in the sex theater spent more time in the sex theater, even though the previous experiment showed a marked preference for fighting videos over sex. And the mice that had been given a shot in the fight theater still hung out in that theater, waiting for their fix.
>So mice are able to figure out that a broad range of clips can be classified under the category of “sex” or “violence,” even though they aren’t able to articulate the classification system. They just know what they like.

Even psychologists try to distance themselves from the Stanford prison experiment now. It's the sort of thing you show to first-years to get them interested, but no one actually takes it as serious research anymore.

When a person says "no" they were prompted with the following control statements for each time they refuse
>Please continue.
>The experiment requires that you continue.
>It is absolutely essential that you continue.
>You have no other choice, you must go on.
Very few people listened to those screams without being hesitant and asking if they could stop.
I imagine many of those people, upon being told by a man in a white coat who looks important that "the experiment requires that you continue" did so for what they saw as helping science, and they'd be wasting everyone's time if they didn't get to the end. From that perspective, I'm surprised a full 40% rebelled. I would figure it'd be less.

That's literally what the point is, though. People are willing to justify doing something they know is wrong if they're told by an authority and pressured into it

Yeah no shit

>the mice spent 40 percent of their time in the fighting theater and only 35 percent of their time in the sex theater
>a marked preference
Wowee.

>have fantasy of stabbing out somebody's eyes and eardrums then kicking the shit out of the back of their head or killing the nerve endings on their fingers with a hot plate
>have 0 desire to follow through with any violent act

wtf is wrong with me

You're autistic

You're trying too hard to be edgy, it's pathetic. I bet somewhere on a Reddit ciclejerk this it's actually considered being edgy. My advice is to go back and never come to Veeky Forums again.

>I hate pseuds that try to extrapolate from this to human society.
There was literally no point to doing that experiment other than for extrapolating from it to human society. John Calhoun himself extrapolated from it to human society:
>I shall largely speak of mice but my thoughts are on man.

SPX had nothing to do with human nature in an authoritarian environment, so just line up against that wall with the other Prisoners, maggot.

>I bet
there is no wagering at Veeky Forums, Grandpa

>extrapoate
>extrapolating
>extrapolated
babby's new werdz

how on earth did that come up during an episode of top gear

I used that word because the person I responded to used that word. Also I only used it twice, the third time you're talking about was in the quote from that other person's post.

>
>Because I generally dislike people, wish them suffering with revenge and feel more connection to nature, hence why I have an interest in science and philosophy and am almost totally reclusive, my dear anonymous friend.

The fact that you would only do this if you were assured there'd be no repercussions shows me that you are a coward and too chicken to even try. Why would you try being edify on an anonymous online carpet weaving forum?

I would argue he is smart and has enough emotional control to not want to go to prison for the rest of his life. You made a nice attempt at being a psuedo internet tough guy about his reply though I guess.

Sooooo ..... psychologists threw out the data from the SPX just because the results were grisly? Do they have any idea how childish and immature this is? I mean being given permission from an authority figure to be cruel to other human beings is something that's reached a boiling point in recent times. If those fagots sucked it up and did a follow up they might have a solution or recommendation to the problem. Sacrifice 1 life to save 1 million lives and all that. This is why nobody respects psychology.

>Anyone know of other obscure phycology experiments, perhaps with unexpected results?
>other obscure phycology
nigger there is a movie about the guy on netflix

The unfortunate truth about modern sociology and psychology is that ethical standards have hamstrung their ability to conduct interesting and revealing tests. They were getting some pretty compelling results back in the wild days, and quickly, but now it's so bound up in red tape that 99% of the job is going to be trying to devise an experiment that is both useful AND won't get you cashiered for ethics violations.

>Third Wave experiment
>"“How was the Holocaust allowed to happen?” It’s one of history’s burning questions. And when Ron Jones, a teacher at Palo Alto’s Cubberley High School, was struggling to answer it for his sophomore students in 1967, he resolved to show them instead. On the first day of his experiment, Jones created an authoritarian atmosphere in his class, positioning himself as a sort of supreme leader. But as the week progressed, Jones’ one-man brand of fascism turned into a school-wide club. Students came up with their own insignia and adopted a Nazi-style salute. They were taught to firmly obey Jones’ commands and become anti-democratic to the core, even “informing” on one another. Jones’ new ideology – dubbed “The Third Wave” – spread like wildfire. By the fourth day, the teacher was concerned that the Nazi-like movement he’d unleashed was getting out of hand, and he brought the experiment to a halt. On the fifth day, he told the students that they had invoked a similar feeling of supremacy to that of the German people under the Nazi regime."

Only took 5 fucking days to bring Nazi's back.

You got it backwards. It was human society that got extrapolated into an experiment.

>ethical standards
Ethics are truly keeping us from understanding the human mind.

>ethical standards
Ethics are a meme.

There's a decent movie about this.
youtube.com/watch?v=JbTkdqYivuw

youtube.com/watch?v=qEEEu1HEtU0

>t. samefag

You have an fantasy of being violent towards a certain kind of people, you won´t actually go thought because when you think about it you don´t really that.

In Freudian terms, this is your ID trying to manifest and your ego and superego rightfully stopping you.

You should focus this emotion in something more productive, like fighting or going to the gym(which are sports that release the want to kill)

The emotional underlying cause is something you should focus if you want to understand why you want that(but it is not something you actually need to do, I mean it will be good for better understanding of yourself)

That is it, it will be 200$

>unexpected results

The researcher wanted and expected such a result, and by disregarding any of the techniques which might prevent him giving cues to the subjects, he got what he wanted.

>In Freudian terms
Stopped reading right there.

Suck my dick