At what age did you prove tan - 1x, Veeky Forums?

At what age did you prove tan - 1x, Veeky Forums?

pi/2

wrong

Child's play, watch this: when I was 6 I did a dy/dx EXP over its circumference

What a baby, when I was 5 I found the eigenvector of a circle

Pfft, when I was 7 I proved the most beautiful equation pi^-i + e^x = -1

source? No fucking way this is real

Proved what about it exactly? That the inverse tangent is a function that exists?

when i was 7 i ate pi. So ha

brainlet detected

not OP but it's from the pilot of the TV show Luther

how?

>tfw the general public has such a low image and understanding of mathematics that they think that by just mixing and matching math-sounding words they can create a coherent statement/problem

Check this. When I was 7 I proved the circumference of x^2.

you mean tan^-1(x)?

I hated pie until I was like 11.

Its actually a fairly enjoyable show, imho

It's funny how confident how people are about math despite knowing nothing about it, too. Multiple people have argued with me when I told them that the problems from Goodwill Hunting are freshman/sophomore level graph theory problems and are really too easy to even put on a homework, let alone special snowflake challenge problems (I just mention it as a fun fact whenever that movie gets brought up, I'm not sperging out about it constantly).

I don't think this line made the final scene. I'm watching the scene on Netflix right now, and he goes from "child prodigies aren't one thing or the other" directly to "Occam's razor." They skip Alice's line from the script about tan minus 1x.

Anyway, Luther is a fun show.

Lol I should watch this again, haven't since high school.

Give her a break /sci, she's staring at Idris Elba. All the womanly instincts in her brain are in overdrive and have overwhelmed her ability to math

Wrong, it's the surface volume

>I just mention it as a fun fact whenever that movie gets brought up
that IS sperging out about it constantly

no you didnt

How often does Goodwill Hunting come up in your daily conversation?

You don't attend daily Goodwill Hunting meetings? Why the fuck are you on Veeky Forums?

When I was 9 I struggled with long division. I didn't even learn basic trig until I was 24 when I went back to school and took a pre-calculus class.

>mum
Is this a British show? If so, I apologise.

>he couldn't prove tangent minus 1x until he was 12

When I was nine

Huh. Not a math kid so I didn't know that. Interesting.

Also kind of shitty. Ruins the movie a bit knowing that a film about a smart kid couldn't throw enough effort at it to even ask a professor for a hard problem to put on the board. Could probably have found some PhD papers or something to use if nothing else.

at what age did you begin to shitpost on Veeky Forums ?

Boy! Today is really grea-

I don't remember, I was asleep.

This cunt solved it when she was 9, and you can't even figure it out on your own?

>Could probably have found some PhD papers or something
Tbf I think it would be pretty damn difficult for writers to create a homework exercise using a reference they can barely read.

GauB came up with the sum of whole numbers when he was what, 12? Earlier? I think I did it when I was 18. Really puts things into perspective. Why do we even try?

When i was, i did.

i rediscovered all pythagorean doubles at the age of e^3

nah that was yuler

Is goodwill hunting worth watching?

Yeah, I enjoyed it. Boston accents are always cool.

Also the guy saying "freshman or sophomore graph theory" is a complete idiot...graph theory's never taught at freshman or sophomore level. Not because it's insanely hard but because it's an odd branch of math not considered part of most undergraduate curriculums. My advisor's a graph theorist and he would never consider teaching it to undergrads.

And the point of the graph theory problem being an extra credit assignment in the movie is that it was extra credit for a Linear Algebra class, and the professor asks for the adjacency matrix.

Ah fuck, Veeky Forums will always be asshats.

On the board in the classroom is Parceval's Theorem which would be some pretty damn advanced material for a Linear Algebra class...

>Also the guy saying "freshman or sophomore graph theory" is a complete idiot...graph theory's never taught at freshman or sophomore level.
com fite me.

There is a combinatorics and graph theory course that a lot of people took after linear algebra and concurrently calc 3 at my university.

I'd guess you go to a large school of at least 25k students.
Combinatorics and graph theory is super relevant but I don't think I've ever seen it taught at undergrad level. Even at places like GA State which are large and specialize in it.

I'm not that guy but we offer a course like that at my university too.

I'm in Canada though and the universities out here have fewer breadth requirements so students have more electives to spend on math.